U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-28-2010, 12:37 PM

17 posts, read 23,655 times

Advertisements

I am going to at least semi retire at age 60 and move to Wisconsin from DesMoines in about 10 months. I love flyfishing for trout on Wis streams.. Desire a fairly small town with some funky shops/ bistro-bars or a place closer to a larger city where I can get a decent glass of wine and other amenitites.. Considering River Falls, Mt Horeb, Spring Green, Viroqua........others?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:46 PM

24 posts, read 56,614 times
I also enjoy flyfishing Wis streams. Each of the towns you mention have their pros and cons. It also depends on how big of a city you want to be close to? River Falls puts you 30 minutes to the Twin Cities, the largest metro area close to the cities you listed. Spring Green and Mt. Horeb put you 30 minutes from Madison (metro area of around 500,000). Viroqua puts you about 30 minutes to La Crosse (the smallest of the metro areas).

I live just outside of Madison, and there are plenty of trout streams in this area. However, they tend to be much smaller, many small spring creeks meandering through pastures.

Viroqua puts you in the heart of some of the best streams in the state. More western style freestone rivers (which I prefer).

River Falls also puts you in a great area for these freestone rivers.

The problem I find with the smaller spring creeks, is that many of their banks get choked with high weeds mid summer. Not as enjoyable as throwing flies in a wide open western river.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:02 AM

577 posts, read 970,978 times
Gleason, an unincorporated town, in central Wisconsin proclaims to be the Brooktrout Fishing capital in the World. I don't know what truth there is to it. It's a really small town, with Merrill being maybe 15-20 minutes away and Wausau being 30-45 minutes away.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:36 AM

546 posts, read 851,131 times
I have to suggest Viroqua. Great place, great people and great fishing. Several trout streams in that area...try the stretch between Bloomingdale and Avalanche. After fishing, head up to the cheese factory and pick up some curd and a coke! Enjoy!

Old 05-13-2010, 09:50 PM

286 posts, read 775,492 times
I'm not giving away my favorite fishing hole. But it is upstate in the great northwoods. Real native brook trout. No stockers there. An hour away from a city of 7,000.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:33 PM

17 posts, read 23,655 times
I delayed retiring waiting for housing prices to stabilize, but now am ready to do it...My probable location is Hayward.. Proximity to Nam, Brule and White rivers. Lake fishing and can get to the Rush or Kinne and back in a day.. Also not far from the North Shore....Sounds perfect..Am I missing anything?

Old 11-25-2010, 08:10 PM

1,587 posts, read 4,387,610 times
Somewhere near the Brule river be good if want to fly fish.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:35 PM

437 posts, read 415,243 times
Hayward is nice but VERY TOURISTY. Maybe try the Spooner area instead? Hudson is close to River Falls, nice small town atmosphere and close to a 4 lane that'll take you right to Minneapolis and the International Airport and good hospitals. In that general area across the river is Stillwater (MN). Cost of living (houses) is going to cost a lot more but it is a wonderful quaint town full of antique shops, galleries and fun eateries. And many many B&Bs and homes of Victorian architecture.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:42 AM

947 posts, read 1,362,892 times
Husband and I just bought our first ever fishing boat Saturday. Used, of course. 1985 14ft. Lund, garage kept, used only 2x a year by previous owners who would go fishing in Phillips. Woohoo!
Drove it home in a snowstorm. How perfect is that?

Old 12-08-2010, 05:45 PM

15,420 posts, read 21,571,511 times
Vilas County, but only if you can afford it for water access. Hundreds if not thousands of lakes and ponds to choose from.

Towns to choose from include:
Woodruff
Manitowish Waters
Presque Isle
Sayner
Star Lake
Boulder Junction
St. Germain
Conover
Phelps
Eagle River
Land O' Lakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin