Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:17 AM

947 posts, read 2,422,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt. Dan View Post
wisconsin 23
minnesota 21
in overtime :d
lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 06:49 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCLLC View Post
As an Iowan who spends most of my enjoyable time in Wi or Mn I think there are differences but both states are great. My favorite city in the US to live in is the TC area. It has a level of sophistication that does commend the monker "Little Apple" So I can get my fix for great jazz music at the Dakota and upscale shopping or dining. Milwaukee and Madison don't compare..The North shore is also unique..more beautiful, better streams and lakes (Boundary Waters) than the south Shore...with the exception of Bayfield , which is a total jewel.. Also spend time in SE Mn . Great trout streams and Lanesboro is romatic place for a weekend or the rest of your life...And Minnesotans are a lot like Ioweegans.. We all sat up straight in our pews at church aas children and are still overly polite but will cut off your privates if you get on our bad side.. Minnesotans enjoy cleaning ...no unkept farm yard or back yard..

Wisconsin , border to border is the most beautiful state in the country. From the Driftless hills and streams to the Brule River Forest..It is just marvelous. Best blend of rural, town and city anywhere..Great raodside supper clubs...every little town has a funky coffee shop and a decent bar. People recreate outside in every form of weather and season. Conservation of all that beauty is not just an ethic for urban liberals who don't hunt or fish...everyone has pride in the resource and fights to stop a new dam or a bottled water plant near a pristine stream. Wisconsonites drive fewer BMWs than Minnesotans and may have a couple of rusted pickups in the yard..But they have more fun and are passionate and proud of their identity........So its pretty much a tie......I need a Leini original
I can agree with this. At first I thought you were being really condescending towards Wisconsin, but I think you pretty much nailed both states with a few exceptions.

First, the shopping thing. I know MN has MOA and all that, but the shopping choices in MN are not all that much better than they are in WI. Frankly, I think both states are kinda lacking in the upscale retail department. Chicago and suburban Detroit blow pretty much every other place in the Midwest out of the water when it comes to high end retail.

Second, I think Wisconsin has better food than Minnesota. I mean just look at the people, Wisconsinites are clearly fatter than Minnesotans and there's a very good reason for that. Here's a cool little list I found that shows WI having 2 restaurants featured on Gourmet Magazine's Top 50 Restaurants list, while MN has only one, albeit more highly rated.

Gourmet's Top 50 Restaurants 2006 - Slashfood
1. Alinea – Chicago, IL
2. Chez Panisse – Berkeley, CA
3. The French Laundry/Per Se – Yountville, CA; New York, NY
4. Spago – Beverly Hills, CA
5. Joël Robuchon at the Mansion – Las Vegas, NV
6. La R̻ve РSan Antonio, TX
7. Masa – New York, NY
8. Alan Wong's Restaurant – Honolulu, HI
9. Daniel – New York, NY
10. Le Bernardin – New York, NY
11. Magnolia Grill – Durham, NC
12. Michel Richard Citronelle – Washington, D.C.
13. Charlie Trotter's – Chicago, IL
14. Arrows – Ogunquit, ME
15. Cyrus – Healdsburg, CA
16. Striped Bass – Philadelphia, PA
17. Babbo – New York, NY
18. Locke-Ober – Boston, MA
19. Canlis – Seattle, WA
20. L'Auberge Carmel – Carmel, CA
21. Bartolotta Ristorante di Mare – Las Vegas, NV
22. Restaurant August – New Orleans, LA
23. The Inn at Little Washington – Washington, VA
24. The Dining Room in the Ritz-Carlton Buckhead – Atlanta, GA
25. Vetri – Philadelphia, PA
26. Fore Street – Portland, ME
27. Jean Georges – New York, NY
28. Higgins – Portland, OR
29. Da Marco – Houston, TX
30. La Belle Vie – Minneapolis, MN
31. Parker's New American Bistro – Cleveland, OH
32. Michy's – Miami, FL
33. Frasca – Boulder, CO
34. Gramercy Tavern – New York, NY
35. Providence – Los Angeles, CA
36. Restaurant Guy Savoy – Las Vegas, NV
37. Zuni Caf̩ РSan Francisco, CA
38. Urasawa – Beverly Hills, CA
39. Bacchanalia – Atlanta, GA
40. Sanford – Milwaukee, WI
41. York Street – Dallas, TX
42. Manresa – Los Gatos, CA
43. No. 9 Park – Boston, MA
44. Trattoria Nostrani – Santa Fe, NM
45. Cafe Juanita – Kirkland, WA
46. Paley's Place – Portland, OR
47. Lantern Restaurant – Chapel Hill, NC
48. L'Etoile – Madison, WI
49. Herbsaint – New Orleans, LA
50. Nana – Dallas, TX

Last edited by EastSideMKE; 04-30-2010 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 04-30-2010, 06:58 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Wisconsin is "the most beautiful state in the country" ? Parts of Wisconsin are very pretty indeed,but
Have you BEEN to other states,,Oregon? Washington? Hawaii?
Vermont? etc etc etc
The poster said "border to border" which you conveniently left out. Eastern Washington and Oregon are hideous wastelands that resemble the state of Nevada. Only the coastal regions are beautiful, and they only make up 1/3 of each state at most, whereas Wisconsin is consistently beautiful across the entirety of the state. Vermont is tiny and therefore doesn't have the variety of terrain that Wisconsin has.

Also, when most people use the phrase "in the country" they are usually referring to the lower 48 or at the very least the North American continent, of which Hawaii is not a part of.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:16 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
As a Minnesotan I never knew Wisconsin had those rolling hills until I drove from Duluth all the way through WI to Chicago. Much more scenic of a state than some parts of Minnesota. Both states are pretty cool in my opinion.

I always thought of Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan as friends.

I wish the Brewers were in the American League Central, and not the crusty Royals.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:51 AM

16 posts, read 40,648 times
They both suck I shoulda stayed in Denver.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:22 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
The poster said "border to border" which you conveniently left out. Eastern Washington and Oregon are hideous wastelands that resemble the state of Nevada. Only the coastal regions are beautiful, and they only make up 1/3 of each state at most, whereas Wisconsin is consistently beautiful across the entirety of the state. Vermont is tiny and therefore doesn't have the variety of terrain that Wisconsin has.

Also, when most people use the phrase "in the country" they are usually referring to the lower 48 or at the very least the North American continent, of which Hawaii is not a part of.
I stand by what I said.I certainly dont find Wisconsin."consistently beautiful" by any stretch of the imagination.
I also dont find Eastern Oregon or Washington "hideous wastelands". Good heavans! Have you even been there? Nevada????
Wisconsin is not beautiful border to border. I dont think any state is.
I left nothing out "conviniently".
Its just my opinion.-

Last edited by nanannie; 05-01-2010 at 07:34 AM..

Old 05-01-2010, 12:23 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
Well there is a lot of either loving or hating the northern midwest, like any area/state. And a lot of that comes from what ecosystem you feel connected to on a very basic, almost invisible way. I am in Arizona now, and thankfully, in a beautiful location (unlike last year, yuck). And Arizona does take your breath away. However, I painfully miss WI/MN/MI. I miss the trees, rivers, creeks, woods, farmland... I miss the people (Oh, how I miss the people!). For every downside, there is a plus side. Take Arizona vs. Wisconsin. AZ has the Grand Canyon, but WI has Lake Superior (comparison being two amazing, one of a kind, huge natural landmarks). AZ has beautiful Ponderosa Pine-covered mountains. WI doesn't have the mountains, but you don't have to worry about snakes and mountain lions as you hike through the hills. AZ is warm in the winter, but water issues abound. WI has cold winters, but sparkling, clean (well, for the most part) lakes, rivers, creeks and ponds.

The list could go on and you can compare any two states like this. So yes, the western coast is gorgeous, and the Rockies are pretty amazing. I absolutely love New Hampshire! But Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan (upper) are amazing as well. I think the whole entire U.S. is amazing in the fact that it is so large, yet every state has amazing natural features, landscapes that set them apart, each region with it's own cultural idenity...and yet it is all one country.

I haven't traveled abroad yet--something I really want to do some day. But I also think one could spend their lifetime exploring just the lower 48 and always find something new, learn something they didn't before, meet different people, etc., and be very content.

As for me, I think I would take the UP's waterfront and woods, the political tendencies of Minnesota, and Wisconsin's history. And people from all three.

p.s. Sorry for all the 'amazings'--I guess I'm not feeling very original this morning!

Old 05-01-2010, 12:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303miles View Post
They both suck I shoulda stayed in Denver.
The highway that leads here leads right back out. Hop on it and don't look back.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:38 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,276,554 times
really extreme eastern and northern MN should be lumped in with Wisconsin and everything to the west and south should be lumped into "dakotas" .. once you get outside the driftless area it's all pretty flat and barren... 40-50 miles into the state on 90 looks and feels like the Dakotas to me with only scattered areas that remind me that the trees and hills are nearby. It's South Dakota with a state income tax, in 2/3 of the state.

The other third is basically wisconsin except it's not. Though I give the edge to central and southern wisconsin for climate combined with the scenic pleasures of the driftless area, dells, kettle moraine, and all that fun stuff.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:54 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
I think it's cool how Wisconsin has their Baseball and Basketball team in their biggest city - Milwaukee. Their NFL team in Green Bay. And their biggest College and Capital in Madison, all a decent way from each other.

In Minnesota it's all in the same town pretty much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin