U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 04:20 PM

42 posts, read 99,932 times

Advertisements

TXPackerbacker, where are you thinking of looking? I had an interview in Beloit and am figuring out what town around there in WI to consider if I decide to go there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 05:47 PM

16 posts, read 47,113 times
Default Madison or River Falls?

Hi, made the decision yet? Let everyone one know with a more personal update after your 1st winter. not kidding on the extremes, but summer can be glorious. Get a covered parking area atleast, garage of some kind.

Madison or River Falls are similar, both college towns,both diverse and River Falls allows easy drives to the Twin Cities!(MN) Highly recommend this Township as well.
The protected Kinnickkinnick river flows through the heart of this area,just wonderful!!
Good luck and do update at some point,

Old 06-27-2010, 05:58 PM

16 posts, read 47,113 times
Default Clinton, WI

Clinton is a truly nice small burg town and close, Beloit is ahem rough at the edges
West or east of Beloit on the WI side is ok, Illinois is a run down affair,nice people though. Drove many northern IL country roads, trying to forget that exp.!
Rockford is a plain no go, just north in Loves Park might be ok,though I would not do it.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:14 AM

42 posts, read 99,932 times
I made the decision. Taking job in Beloit. Will be figuring out where outside there to live. Not any towns in IL.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:49 AM

3 posts, read 26,252 times
Default Wisconsin

Since you live in Texas I see one thing not brought up is TAXES. Texas does not have state taxes and Wisconsin does. Both state and property taxes are high enough.

I lived in Milwaukee all my life and now that I am retired, I figured I am tired of the taxes and the COLD weather and now terrible roads. Where did I go? I went to Florida. I am in the middle of the state where it is the safest from hurricanes. We are were the people evacuate to. No states taxes and my property taxes are half of what I paid up north. One thing down here for the younger folks is low paying jobs. Weather is hot during the summer, but nice during the winter.

We always thought that the Madison area would be nice to live in.

One hour north of Disney ....

Old 07-09-2010, 09:50 AM

10 posts, read 34,735 times
I lived in TX for 4 years and I hated it! I went from NH, to Az and then to Tx. We are now looking to move to WI. If you want to talk high taxes..NH..OMG!!! The property taxes in NH are insane! Texas has ok taxes as does Az. From the homes we are looking at in WI, the taxes are inbetween Tx and NH so I am ok with that. Az has high state taxes and NH has none, so once again...WI is the middle of the line for us. We are looking to move quickly and looking in the Tomah area. We have horses and like to show also. I would take NH and Az over Tx..and hopefully will love WI as much...I hope to find out soon

Old 07-13-2010, 08:56 PM

2,041 posts, read 4,531,713 times
Go for it!

Old 07-18-2010, 02:55 PM

90 posts, read 301,127 times
From my experience the city you choose to move to plays a big factor. I've lived in a number of states where I was happy in one city and not in another. Just pick your city in Wisconsin wisely, based on the culture/personality you desire. For example, Milwaukee and Madison or both an hour or more from cities like Fond du Lac and Oshkosh, but it is like day and night.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:08 PM

11 posts, read 40,277 times
sorry I disappeared! I got tied up with other things and this just slipped my mind. I haven't made the move yet. still going through a lengthy government interview process and waiting to hear back on some other job apps and interviews. "the move" has mostly been decided, but I'm basically in limbo as to when I'll move and where I'll live for now. I'd like to try to get up there this fall if possible, but it could be spring or even next summer before we move.

Dannan: have you moved yet? how do you like it? where are you moving from?

Old 07-21-2010, 11:41 PM

11 posts, read 40,277 times
oh btw, I'm actually going to be in the Janesville/Beloit area next week. interview and getting a feel for the area. ideally I'd really like to start out renting a nice sized home w/ a couple acres or so just outside a city.

back on the fenced homes in the south/no fences in midwest discussion...I actually had a different thought. I'm not familiar w/ the midwest "culture," but I thought maybe y'all could be a bit more community-oriented, more concerned about people other than yourselves, and trust your neighbors more. from my experience, people in Texas are extremely selfish about their property and land. they really treat their homes as their little castles and their land like territory and can be a little fanatical and overly self-righteous with the "not in my backyard" and "I don't want my money being spent for X" type stuff. people are more concerned about their property values over "greater good" type things like raising property taxes to increase wages for teachers.

anyway, I just thought not having fences could be a cultural difference where maybe y'all are more trusting of neighbors and less selfish about personal property and property values. I'm curious what people who have actually lived in both the midwest and south have to say about my "theory."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin