U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 11:43 AM

507 posts, read 805,238 times

Advertisements

There are fewer fences in the upper midwest than otherwhere because the people are the least snobby
and most egalitarian of all americans.
A fence says I'm better than you and am keeping out the 'riff-raff'.
Moving from VT to WI was an amazing contrast,snobism and stuck-up-itis here is several orders of magnitude less.
I live in a town of 3100, it has seven parks the largest of which is in downtown area and covers 20 acres. This is typical in WI.
In VT you'd be lucky if a town this size had a park bench.

The city of Milwaukee has miles of public land along Lake Michigan with beaches etc open to all, in most of america this magnificent shoreline woulds be private property.Here its normal.
Ten miles north of me is a state park of over 5,000 acres with a pristine lake set among forested hills and a magnificent beach,though I do have to have a $10 a year sticker.

Last edited by BigCur; 07-23-2010 at 11:56 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 12:08 PM

11 posts, read 12,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXpackerbacker View Post
I'm strongly considering moving from Texas to Wisconsin. While I've got family in both CA and WI, I was raised all my youth in the Austin, TX suburbs and currently live in downtown Houston.

My g/f (of nearly 6 years) and I would most likely move to the southern WI area, in the Madison-Janesville area. She is a teacher, and I have just earned a graduate degree. Jobs in my profession are in very short supply, with there being many more people in my profession than there are jobs available, especially for a new grad here in TX. While prospects are thin here and finding a job could really take awhile, I have an interview for a position in WI and we'd likely move if I received an offer. part of me is kind of sick of TX and I've got the feeling I want to get out, at least for a little while.

I'd really appreciate it if some people from Texas or the south could share their relocation experiences...beyond just "it is cold," lol. weather-wise, I think I'd prefer staying indoors during the winter vs. staying indoors during the summer because of the 95-100 degree temps and 90%-100% humidity.

btw, what's up with nobody having fences around their homes in WI? lol
Madison is always rated one one the best places to live.

but just remember it is vary liberal and it has everything that goes along with that high taxes, budget problems, rising fee's and a nude beach

Old 07-26-2010, 12:15 PM

11 posts, read 12,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
There are fewer fences in the upper midwest than otherwhere because the people are the least snobby
and most egalitarian of all americans.
Moving from VT to WI was an amazing contrast,snobism and stuck-up-itis here is several orders of magnitude less.
I live in a town of 3100, it has seven parks the largest of which is in downtown area and covers 20 acres. This is typical in WI.
In VT you'd be lucky if a town this size had a park bench.

The city of Milwaukee has miles of public land along Lake Michigan with beaches etc open to all, in most of america this magnificent shoreline woulds be private property.Here its normal.
Ten miles north of me is a state park of over 5,000 acres with a pristine lake set among forested hills and a magnificent beach,though I do have to have a $10 a year sticker.
a regular state park sticker is $25

Purchase your 2010 Park Stickers & Trail Pass Friends of Wisconsin State Parks FWSP

maybe you are over 65 but you should put that out there.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:41 AM

42 posts, read 99,932 times
TXpackerbacker, sorry, I did not get an alert last week. I am around this week tonight. I have a trip Thursday to Saturday.

I am working in Beloit. I am staying temporary in Janesville.

Let me know if you are around.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:45 AM

42 posts, read 99,932 times
TXpackerbacker, sorry, did not answer all either.

From MA. Got here 3 weeks ago. Been busy, going well. Looking around on weekends to figure out the towns.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,851 times
Default Wisconsin snow is the least of your worries

We moved from San Antonio to Milwaukee last year for work and the snow was never a problem. Just plan your driving path well and enjoy shoveling. (We love the change of seasons!). The small neighborhood feel, the countryside farms, and rivers and lakes, and the proximity to Chicago! Yes, there is access to mexican ingredients, but no really tex-mex or BBQ or Shiner Beer.

The difference is really the people in the midwest versus Austin / South Texas. They aren't really explorer type folks. They won't say hi or make eye contact with you until you say something first. South Texas folks are openly friendly, warm, and inviting. Texas drive all over the place. Up here, I have seen most of the state of Wisconsin versus my co-workers who choose to bury themselves in their suburbia, drink, and talk about their good ole college days.

Since you are moving to Madison you may be in luck as the college creates a "cool" vibe that Austin enjoys. Great eating places. Unique shops.
Milwaukee downtown is terrific and the Summerfest is similar to South by Southwest Music festival in Austin.

Good luck!

Old 08-10-2010, 02:15 PM

365 posts, read 913,924 times
I can't speak for anyone else, but we have a fence around our house which is in the city of Madison. Why do we have a fence... for privacy, to keep a dog contained in the backyard, fences make good neighbors. There was a chain link fence already in place, but we added a privacy wood fence across the rear of the yard. I guess some of us just aren't as friendly as some of you in Texas. Wisconsin is a good place to live though, if it offers the things you're looking for. I bet there are as many people who don't like as do. It has a lot to do with a persons own history and experiences of places they have or have not lived in. How can someone really offer a good review of a location if they've never been anywhere else? If likes and dislikes differ, one persons trash is anothers treasure. I think the best thing to do is research whatever you can find about a place and visit for a first hand experience to get a feel for it, good, bad or indifferent. By the way, another thing to be considered as far as someones opinion, is their age. What someone wants and likes in their 20's is different then their 50's.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:43 PM

1,878 posts, read 3,974,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
Or it says "I don't want my dog to run off." lol .... And "we don't want to have to keep her on a long leash all the time."

That's the one and only reason my parents put a good one up years ago.

Things like this shouldn't be generalized and assumed about everyone... just sayin'.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXpackerbacker View Post
I'm strongly considering moving from Texas to Wisconsin. While I've got family in both CA and WI, I was raised all my youth in the Austin, TX suburbs and currently live in downtown Houston.

My g/f (of nearly 6 years) and I would most likely move to the southern WI area, in the Madison-Janesville area. She is a teacher, and I have just earned a graduate degree. Jobs in my profession are in very short supply, with there being many more people in my profession than there are jobs available, especially for a new grad here in TX. While prospects are thin here and finding a job could really take awhile, I have an interview for a position in WI and we'd likely move if I received an offer. part of me is kind of sick of TX and I've got the feeling I want to get out, at least for a little while.

I'd really appreciate it if some people from Texas or the south could share their relocation experiences...beyond just "it is cold," lol. weather-wise, I think I'd prefer staying indoors during the winter vs. staying indoors during the summer because of the 95-100 degree temps and 90%-100% humidity.

btw, what's up with nobody having fences around their homes in WI? lol
Tell you what. I was born and raised in Minnesota, was a school supt in Wisconsin north of Milwaukee, and know Texas like the back of my hand, since I now live just south of Dallas. Hate Tx. Married here, been here since 1993. If you have a job nailed down in Wisconsin, even if it is Madison, and you are not gay, go for it. It has been consistently over 100 degrees here for so long I am beginning to think I am actually in H... and we just think the rapture hasn't happened yet.
I have some firm ideas about the so called "cold", the bitter bitter ether that does not exist. There is five times as many things to do in the so called COLD weather up north in the Winter than there is to do in the south during the unbearable heat. I just had a dot of cancer taken off my nose, and it was caused by the sunshine down here. That is nature's hint, get out while you have your skin. One thing: if you have kids, and they are in public schools in Texas, and you BELIEVE because you have been told that it is true that Texas schools are great, well, read up on it... you don't have a clue what excellence is in the classrooms... the upper tier states of the Dakotas, Minnesota and Wisconsin graduate twice per capita what the southern 8 states do... and the caliber of their public college graduate degrees reflects it. I ramble. If you are interested, give me a shout, winters in the north are heaven... wait until you glide over the lakes and rivers and down the trails on a snowmobile! Wait until you catch your first ice fish... ski, tobaggan, ice skate, just plain walk. Romantic, fun, healthy... Northerners live longer, and the cold of the winter is part of it... Don't listen to the media, they don't have a hint.

Dr. E

Old 08-31-2010, 11:51 AM

10 posts, read 34,735 times
We moved into a new place that has no fencing but we are putting fencing up...why? Because the dogs need to be contained on our property and not running all over! Also, we are fencing more because the horses need pasture...so we are not being "snobby" or "better than anyone", we are just containing our animals...and yes, fences do make good neighbors. I hate it when people have dogs that run loose and my kids can't go to the mailbox without being barked at, growled at, or chased by a neighbors dog...which we have one here in our new area
I would take the cold and snow over the heat anyday! Living in Az for 16 years and then in Tx for 4 years...I have had lots of spots of skin cancer taken off of me and it's just not worth it! I love the snow for sledding with my kids, snowmobiling, ice-skating...so much fun...oh, and riding a horse after a fresh fallen snow is the most peaceful thing in the world...to me anyway
Public schools in Texas?? BAD! I pulled my kids out and home schooled them, the school system was just horrible and the graduation rate even worse! Since moving to WI, they are back in school and loving it and so am I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin