U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 06:20 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 1,974,524 times

Advertisements

Gays Mills is very nice, but why not someplace a bit closer to Madison, such as western Dane County? You'll have more places to go if you start missing city life, plus an airport.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 11:27 PM

11 posts, read 17,747 times
one word - just one word: MONEY! going 2 counties over from madison (or 3) means saving tens of thousands on comparable properties. no doubt it would be super cool to have a few acres, on water, near madison. but i've priced the area. and i'm "priced out." and then, having lived all over texas i'm used to long road trips. enjoy the solitude. so - except for winter - the distance to madison or even chicago is no biggie.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:39 PM

12,733 posts, read 12,507,568 times
Great point, money, tax differences, small town versus a bigger town outside of even bigger towns, I'd keep checking into Gays Mills if that is the area you like!

I'm still confused about the Wisconsonites, image business, sure doesn't happen over here on the east side. People are down to earth, friendly, and I don't see any one nationality in evidence, quite the mixture of people. Lately I've met more people that aren't from here and others that lived away for many years and now they are coming back in retirement not being happy with other places they thought they might like.

Last edited by susancruzs; 12-06-2010 at 08:59 PM..

Old 12-06-2010, 09:33 PM

I studied the housing market (via internet) in Two Rivers and was amazed at how reasonable the market was last year. I take it you're very comfortable there. Began looking at southern Wisconsin because acreage is cheaper there.
I envy you being on the Lake. I learned to swim in Lake Michigan. Is it warm enough where you are?

Old 12-07-2010, 08:08 PM

12,733 posts, read 12,507,568 times
Well, close enough to hear it, but not to see it, but just blocks away! I like the weather by the lake, right now we have no snow, rest of the state does except for our little area! Frost comes later to us in the Fall, but we are cooler in the Spring, last area to warm up. I'm not sure about the lake temp, I don't go swimming, dipping my feet in now and then doesn't count.

I've always followed the weather and liked the variations the Great Lakes provide. Two Rivers is cooler than Manitowoc, many times by 10 degrees. Last summer was an exception but normally 80's are rare for us. I'm not a warm weather type so cool summers are great!

Real estate really hit bottom around here after 2008. I bought in '07 when things were high, a home similar to mine sold recently for 18,000 less than I paid. The area does have issues with job availability and several companies leaving, some stores closing. JC Penny is leaving Manitowoc this winter, too.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:58 PM

sorry to hear about the economy there. i'll be living on a fixed income but will pay cash for the property i want. so i think it's "do-able." in houston the ad valorem taxes have become prohibitive. so renting is my option here.

if my deal doesn't go through i may well take another look at manitowoc and two rivers. maybe small town life - near the lake - would make up for not getting the small acreage on a volatile river.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:28 PM

59 posts, read 111,821 times
This has been a really nice thread to follow. I recently took a job in Japan and come to city-data.com for a culture-shock detox (it's nice to hear about home). I lived in La Crosse, sort of in the area of Gays Mills, and honestly, if Gays Mills is in too rough of shape for you, I can give you plenty of suggestions for nice little towns in the coulee region to try. Before I moved here, I student taught in Arcadia, which is in a beautiful area north of La Crosse by about 45 minutes and south of Minneapolis/Saint Paul by two hours.

Also, if you're looking for small town areas near lakes, check out central Wisconsin as well. The Wausau/Stevens Point area has a lot to offer: Wausau being a diversified, nice community and Stevens Point being a small college town. I was raised in that area and a lot of the properties are pretty reasonable. You're also two hours from Madison, Green Bay, Minneapolis/Saint Paul; two and a half from Milwaukee; and around four from Chicago. If you're used to driving and long stretches alone, it won't be much of a change.

Ah well, back to studying Japanese :-)

Old 12-08-2010, 07:00 AM

Thanks. Those are great suggestions. LaCrosse has a branch of U. of W. doesn't it? I would like to be near a college town.

I should know by Friday if my Gays Mills property will work out.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:43 AM

947 posts, read 2,210,144 times
Fingers crossed.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:49 AM

you guys are great. no doubt i'm making a positive decision. your input is greatly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin