U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 07:12 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 1,973,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.p.t. View Post
i have a general question. is the recent blizzard a little extraordinary? i'm not completely naive having survived 10 winters in chicago. but wow! y'all have been BATTERED lately!
It goes in streaks. The last three winters snow has been well above normal, but then 5 or 6 years can go by of below normal snow and above normal temps. On average I think you can expect a big snow (meaning over 10 inches) about once every other year. Speaking of SW Wisconsin, it's different near the Lake Superior snowbelt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 09:04 AM

12,722 posts, read 12,500,189 times
Take a clue from me, noone is "perfect". Surprise!

You included, of course!

You seem to be missing the point one cannot make generalizations about places, races, anything because it is impossible to experience everything. People do it all the time, I hate this state, I'll never travel to a certain place again, but it is all based on individual perceptions, experiences which can't include a whole state or country.

I haven't lived in Wisc. forever, only 3 yrs. so don't include me in only lived here remark. I worked for a German company for 33 yrs., (I'm not German, happen to be Swedish/French) find your remarks about Germans unbelieveable.

I've traveled the world over and to 40+ states in the USA including Alaska and Hawaii and basically people are interesting, amazing and not that different no matter where you are. I found in big cities, other than keeping up with rapid pace, people are friendly even on the east coast, Boston, New York, for example.

People rave about the south, yes, people are friendly but so are people in the midwest, including downtown Chicago. I know I'm beating a dead horse topic but many people here, not all, try to see different sides rather than dwell on negatives and say only the negative is right. I'm sorry but it just doesn't make sense to not try and see something positive. I just don't get it but then I'm a make lemonade out of lemons kind of person.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:49 PM

374 posts, read 899,042 times
From a Texan who just moved up here 3 months ago:

First, it's cold and it has been snowing for a while already. Get ready for it. It's cold but I don't think it feels as cold as West Texas in January with the wind howling down your neck. Keep your felt cowboy hat. People may look at you like your crazy but it keeps the snow off your face and neck. The wind just isn't that bad here. Cowboy boots w/o a tread are deadly. Buy some Sorels.

These people whine about speed traps - nothing compared to TX. 10 over is average. I couldn't get by with 1 over in Schertz and Selma. I maybe see a couple cops a day in my travels. I routinely saw 10 to 15 a day in TX. Oh, and they are helpful here too.

The taxes are up there but not painful. Housing prices and interest rates are way down so its a good time. My payment is about the same as TX for approx the same size house, just 80 years older. Basements make it worthwhile. So far my gun collection is staying nice and dry and more secure underground. State income taxes are a different thing. Get ready to lose some take home pay. At least sales taxes are low.

I moved to SE Wisconsin this time - Racine/Kenosha area. All my neighbors have come by and said hello right out of the gate. They may even be nicer than my neighbors from TX. (Of course many of those were Californians) People in Madison are not friendly at all. People don't know how to drive there and have no courtesy. Don't even consider saying "hi" as you pass someone on the street. Also, holding the door for a woman in Madison will be rewarded with nothing short of disgust. Milwaukee is a close second. Don't wave while driving. They just don't understand why you're waving at them. You need to go south to central Illinois before this is acceptable again. One more thing. One finger waves from the steering wheel make people think your flipping them off. Dont do it.

Finally, we have solid conservative politicians in charge and soon you'll be able to conceal carry and hopefully the taxes are coming down soon.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:26 AM

15,927 posts, read 33,583,148 times
Well, I am a Floridian, but my sister who was also born in Florida has been living in Wisconsin for 25 years now, and loves it. She is currently in Appleton, but lived a number of years in Madison. That is really a wonderful city! Beautiful, diverse and a lot to do. Sis doesn't seem to mind the cold, she really hates the heat so would rather deal with cold weather. I am a warm weather person so I couldn't live there with such a long cold season (I visited in late April once, and the HIGH was 28 degrees, even though the people there said it was spring! )

Anyway, if you have a good job offer, why not give it a try? Overall my impressions of visiting Wisconsin are that it is a clean and beautiful state, a lot of natural beauty, and Madison especially is a city with a lot of amenities.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:47 AM

68 posts, read 124,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXpackerbacker View Post
I just thought not having fences could be a cultural difference where maybe y'all are more trusting of neighbors and less selfish about personal property and property values. I'm curious what people who have actually lived in both the midwest and south have to say about my "theory."
I don't think people here are more trusting and less selfish. As far as caring about property values, it has been my experience that neighbors get med when you make outdoor improvements. They would rather the outside stay crappy because they do not want the taxes to increase. I hate it here and I can't wait to leave. his is not a good state to live in or raise a family in.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:19 PM

42 posts, read 99,932 times
Hamjeepr, check out WI forum for Open Carry.org, OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum, good info of what is coming for open and maybe concealed carry.

A good group of people, working on better open carry and more, Welcome to Wisconsin Carry, Inc., considering joining them.

You can see open carry meet and greet events listed in different areas including around you. I've been in Delavan area for a few months. Very good November results.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:58 PM

374 posts, read 899,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannan View Post
Hamjeepr, check out WI forum for Open Carry.org, OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum, good info of what is coming for open and maybe concealed carry.

A good group of people, working on better open carry and more, Welcome to Wisconsin Carry, Inc., considering joining them.

You can see open carry meet and greet events listed in different areas including around you. I've been in Delavan area for a few months. Very good November results.
I'm not much of a fan of open carry. First it has a tendency to make people very uncomfortable who might not be against gun rights in general. It can hurt the cause. Second, open carry does promote a "wild west" mentality. Now the criminal knows exactly what he's up against and it comes down to who can draw first and how accurate they can be. Bystanders will be hurt as well as gun rights. Besides, one thing I do know is that if a gun can be seen, it can be controlled. The unknown gun is what scares criminals. Not knowing who may have a gun and further knowing that the person with a gun trains to use it is what will deter crime, not the mere presence of the gun itself.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:39 PM

42 posts, read 99,932 times
Hamjeeper, OK, there are people working on constitutional carry for WI, for open or concealed.

Understand that WI is open carry only, there is no concealed carry. They have open carry for a very long time. There is no "wild west" going on in WI.

I came from a concealed carry only state.

Also understand that WI is open carry for anyone legally allowed, not just WI residents. A very good thing to keep whether open carry, or open and concealed carry get wrapped up concretely in the next year.

TX has some good deals for personal protection. WI overwhelmingly supports gun rights and there are some serious improvements coming.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:51 PM

356 posts, read 754,267 times
I think the open carry will remain as is and you will likely see concealed carry with a licensing and training requirements. The Governor elect already said he would sign a concealed carry bill.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:40 PM

12 posts, read 28,161 times
well as a longtime resident here in the manitowoc area, I will add a few things to this post........

first off the people here are not unfriendly you just have to get to know them is that a bad thing? perhaps if you are a touchy feely person who smiles at butterflies and waves to caterpillars.

I do not like the winters I won't lie they get cold but I have joined a gym and believe it or not the more you go outside, the warmer you get inside lol

I am also going to take up an outside activity possibly snowboarding. As far as the "no fence" thing, there are houses who have fences up for the reasons already stated.....dogs do you want my german shepherd visiting your chihuaha?

I have thought about leaving this cold state a couple of times but every time I research another state I can't make up my mind. The houses here are CHEAP compared to alot of the other states....and the summers here are AWESOME we get about a week of really high humidity but it's not unbearable, in summertime every single day you can do something outdoors.

I am beginning to reappreciate <<<<<< not sure if that's a word, what this state has to offer. The jobs are not that good and the economy sucks right now but I think it's like that everywhere.

So to the original poster I say go for it Manitowoc is not that bad of a place to live. As long as you can get used to the cold and the snow lol!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin