Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 10:21 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
A while back I posted about the guy that tossed his overcoat on my desk and told me to "hang it up, hun." He blew a branch management job with those four words.

I work in sales and have watched plenty of coworkers blow deals with just that attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 10:26 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
I've been a receptionist for 24 years, the last 19 of it for city government. I work in the Planning-Building-Engineering department, and I filled the job after they went through 6 receptionists in a 6-month period. It's a very difficult job to learn because it's a large department, and to do the job well one has to know what each individual does, and each division/individual handles phones differently. When I accepted the job the first thing I did was make an effort to know everyone there as quickly as possible.

What I am NOT good at, is allowing co-workers to "hide" behind me. I don't figure that's what I'm paid for ~ I'm paid to transfer the calls and hook them up to their proper contact person.

I also get very irritated when people disappear for long periods and schedule time off without letting me know.

But I've never been shy. If I suspect that someone is "back there" and just not responding, or is standing around yacking when a customer needs him/her, I just leave my post and go fetch them. This was something that my supervisor has bitched about for years because she didn't want me to leave the front desk unattended, but I think I eventually convinced her that in order to do my job efficiently I must extend myself past the enclosure of my work station.

I DO apply a lot of psychology to my job, both on the phone and in-person. And fleetiebelle is right, it doesn't pay to be an a--hole to receptionists because most of us have memories like elephants, and we have our "little ways".

I've been burned out on the job for a very long time, though. I do it well, but I never get up looking forward to it.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:58 PM

850 posts, read 1,546,073 times
I started out as an Admin and worked my way up to Executive Admin to the Partners and Marketing Mgr. When I was hired by the CFO, she told me, you can either be the person who just answers the phone, and do some filing or you can find other things in the company to take over and make a position your own.

Find other things to do and move up...ultimately, its up to you.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:35 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,211,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post
When I was hired by the CFO, she told me, you can either be the person who just answers the phone, and do some filing or you can find other things in the company to take over and make a position your own.

Find other things to do and move up.
Why? I enjoy just being the receptionist. I was just saying I don't appreciate the treatment admin staff get sometimes.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:59 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Why? I enjoy just being the receptionist. I was just saying I don't appreciate the treatment admin staff get sometimes.
Well more power to you if you can be happy doing that sort of thing for the rest of your life. That's all that matters. Are you sure you don't have something else in mind? Just curious.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:14 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,043 times
I am a psuedo receptionist for the government, and no one really messes with me, if they do I am sure to laugh about it right in their face.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:34 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,211,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
Well more power to you if you can be happy doing that sort of thing for the rest of your life. That's all that matters. Are you sure you don't have something else in mind? Just curious.
I have been trying to work out exactly what I'd like to do for many years, but honestly I have come to really like the reception role. I have my own personal space and get to meet a lot of people.

I'm not happy with all my tasks of course... I have been at my current place for 6 years and I am still getting coffees like I did when I was an intern, but that's the life of a receptionist isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment