U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-13-2010, 04:40 PM

409 posts, read 1,609,261 times

Advertisements

I need some help choosing the right Health Insurance given by a federal job...
Here are some of the options....

AETNA Consumer Driven Health Plan (CDHP)
AETNA High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP)
APWU Health Plan - High (APWU)
APWU Health Plan - CDHP Option
Blue Cross and Blue Shield Service Benefit Plan - Std. (BCBS)
Blue Cross and Blue Shield Service Benefit Plan - Basic (BCBS)
GEHA Benefit Plan - High (GEHA)
GEHA Benefit Plan - Standard Option
GEHA Benefit Plan - HDHP Option
Mail Handlers Benefit Plan Value (MH)
Mail Handlers Benefit Plan Std. (MH)
Mail Handlers Benefit Plan Consumer (MH)
NALC Health Benefit Plan (NALC)
SAMBA Health Benefit Plan High (SAMBA)
SAMBA Health Benefit Plan Std. (SAMBA)

The ones that seem best by what some other people have told me is the Blue Cross Blue Shield and the AETNA. I only need health insurance for my self.
The Blue Cross Standard Plan is going to cost about $180 a month and the basic is only about $100.

I would like a plan that does not require me to pay deductibles or if it does for them to be as low as possible. I am completely healthy and under 30. What do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 04:49 PM

469 posts, read 711,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
I need some help choosing the right Health Insurance given by a federal job...
Here are some of the options....

AETNA Consumer Driven Health Plan (CDHP)
AETNA High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP)
APWU Health Plan - High (APWU)
APWU Health Plan - CDHP Option
Blue Cross and Blue Shield Service Benefit Plan - Std. (BCBS)
Blue Cross and Blue Shield Service Benefit Plan - Basic (BCBS)
GEHA Benefit Plan - High (GEHA)
GEHA Benefit Plan - Standard Option
GEHA Benefit Plan - HDHP Option
Mail Handlers Benefit Plan Value (MH)
Mail Handlers Benefit Plan Std. (MH)
Mail Handlers Benefit Plan Consumer (MH)
NALC Health Benefit Plan (NALC)
SAMBA Health Benefit Plan High (SAMBA)
SAMBA Health Benefit Plan Std. (SAMBA)

The ones that seem best by what some other people have told me is the Blue Cross Blue Shield and the AETNA. I only need health insurance for my self.
The Blue Cross Standard Plan is going to cost about $180 a month and the basic is only about $100.

I would like a plan that does not require me to pay deductibles or if it does for them to be as low as possible. I am completely healthy and under 30. What do you recommend?
I got the Blue Cross Standard Plan, i dont go to the doctor much..but it's been a good plan for me so far, great even I would say. I also have dental insurance and eye insurance (dont know if you would look into it). I too am single and working for the government..Good luck, what agency do you work if you don't mind me asking?

Old 06-13-2010, 09:30 PM

409 posts, read 1,609,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoodsyall View Post
I got the Blue Cross Standard Plan, i dont go to the doctor much..but it's been a good plan for me so far, great even I would say. I also have dental insurance and eye insurance (dont know if you would look into it). I too am single and working for the government..Good luck, what agency do you work if you don't mind me asking?
Do you pay a deductible? Do they charge for each visit?

Old 06-14-2010, 07:47 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,202,978 times
I have Blue Cross and Blue Shield Service Benefit Plan - Basic (BCBS).

I don't think there is a deductible for routine or well visits. I am not sure about major medical but I don't think so. My co-pay is $25 for office visits. I'm satisfied.

If I were you, I'd at least choose one of the BCBS plans, especially if you have a dependent away at college or not living in your household. It's also best if you travel often. BCBS is accepted everywhere. Working in health care, I've witnessed a lot of drama with AETNA, another widely accepted plan.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:54 AM

9,000 posts, read 8,880,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I have Blue Cross and Blue Shield Service Benefit Plan - Basic (BCBS).

I don't think there is a deductible for routine or well visits. I am not sure about major medical but I don't think so. My co-pay is $25 for office visits. I'm satisfied.

If I were you, I'd at least choose one of the BCBS plans, especially if you have a dependent away at college or not living in your household. It's also best if you travel often. BCBS is accepted everywhere. Working in health care, I've witnessed a lot of drama with AETNA, another widely accepted plan.
I'd recommend BCBS for that reason alone: just about everyone accepts it.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:35 PM

965 posts, read 1,902,585 times
I don't have BCBS, but my dad works with the fed'l gov't and BCBS is what he uses. It's pretty much accepted by everyone and is actually a pretty good insurance plan iirc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment