Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:02 AM

274 posts, read 998,360 times

Advertisements

i was unhappy in my previous job too and hearing that now it's being considered a "lay off", you should be ok when it comes to what to put down for employment apps. good to hear that at least. the last thing you want to do is stay in a dead end job that you despise... i can actually say right now i am extremely happy to be let go from my previous employer.

i'm sure you are already but i recommend you to speak with colleagues and your teaching networks to see what else is available. if you want to pursue engineering, go for that. whatever you do though, make sure you don't waste the time to mope around. use this time/energy to find something new and good luck on your new job search. i'm confident that the next opportunity that comes your way will be awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 09:26 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutt Roh View Post
i was unhappy in my previous job too and hearing that now it's being considered a "lay off", you should be ok when it comes to what to put down for employment apps. good to hear that at least. the last thing you want to do is stay in a dead end job that you despise... i can actually say right now i am extremely happy to be let go from my previous employer.

i'm sure you are already but i recommend you to speak with colleagues and your teaching networks to see what else is available. if you want to pursue engineering, go for that. whatever you do though, make sure you don't waste the time to mope around. use this time/energy to find something new and good luck on your new job search. i'm confident that the next opportunity that comes your way will be awesome!
I was, seriously, considering not signing my contract for next year anyway. Contract signings were to be the next day. I'm not sure I wouldn't have just torn mine up or decided to give notice in July. My husband wanted me to tear it up. I was, seriously, putting in way too many hours for a dead end low paying job. The cost to my family was high and even with all that effort, I didn't feel I was doing the job right.

I think my efforts are better spent concentrating on a job search and by giving me the option of a non renewal, I'm able to draw unemployment right away which buys me time. I could sub until January and not feel it financially. Hopefully, by then I'll have found something permanent.

If it's teaching, I want to be in a district I know I can stay in. Someplace where I can grow roots. Part of my unhappiness in this job was simply that I knew I couldn't stay. Wages scraped the bottom of the barrel, benefits were non existant and there was no such thing as raises. That did not serve my family and the bottom line of any job is does it meet MY needs. This one did not. It was simply a job in a bad economy and experience. The only thing I could commit to was one year at a time and I couldn't even do that until after the fall hiring season was over.

On the bright side, I get to get reacquainted with my husband and kids now. I swear I haven't seen them all year. Three lab based preps with too large of classes and no real lab is hell. At least for someone like me who is driven to do the job to the best of her ability. I put in way more effort than I should have but I did what I felt I had to. It's not my nature to half do anything....except housework, now THAT I can leave half done, lol. I'm doing a great job of ignoring the dishes and the laundry right now come to think of it.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Whew. My ex principal sent me a reference letter today. I can breathe. My mentor tells me that with a good reference letter (this one leaves you wondering why they'd let me go) that most schools won't even ask for an explanation for being "laid off".

Now all I have to do is get my confidence back before my interview on Monday. Right now I'm second guessing my ability. This school is a better fit for me from smaller classes, better facilities and fewer discipline problems. I can teach my subject well but I'm not skilled enough to deal with a lot of behavior issues while doing it right now. I don't know that I ever will be. I think I'd be a great teacher for a college prep program.

The interview on Monday is a long shot. It's with a really good district and I'm one of four (that I know of) candidates. I'm sure we're all qualified. I'd love to be upbeat and confident but I know darned well that, in this economy, interviews are weeding out processes not weeding in processes. Man I miss the world I came out to when I graduated from engineering school. Back then, they brought in 20 candidates for 15 slots and looked for good fits. Now they invite 4 to interview for one slot with the intention of weeding out three of them and anything can be your undoing.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:15 PM

274 posts, read 998,360 times
ivortytickler, words of advice:

1. be prepared to answer why you left your previous job (you don't need to elaborate unless they ask) but also highlight the good opportunities you have experienced and/or gained during your time at that charter school.

2. never second guess yourself. you are who you are - there's no point to hide it. behavioral issues come with the territory for most teachers - every student is different and learns/adapts differently. i think it's just another learning experience for you that you can pitch during the interview... if they point out that "deficiency", say that you're open to learn new things and want to hone in your skills to better focus in that area.

good luck and show that enthusiasm to wow the interviewers!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment