U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2010, 06:52 PM

304 posts, read 416,808 times
Default Considering obtaining real estate license in FL

Got no responses to this in my city forum so I am trying the next logical place, hopefully that's ok to repost here...

Would love to hear what you think about my thoughts on getting a real estate license - as a mom of a child with disabilities it is challening for me to find work because I need flexibility and often cant work in the summers when he is off school. I have a bachelors and one year masters level and some good skills. Anyhow, at this point I have been trying to brainstorm creative ways to make money in a flexible manner. I have always heard that real estate can afford the flexibility that many need. Now I knwo the obvious - the market sucks, the economy here in particular is a royal mess, the end is not in sight, no agents are making any money etc. I understand that, I am a political person, I stay abreast of current events, economics etc. So i am not unaware of immediate response. That said, if it could even offer the possibility of SOME income, and flexibility that I need, I am willing to go for it. From what I've researched its only a weekend long course for a few hundred bucks, after that I'm not too clear on how the whole thing works, but I am looking into it now. I am good with people, though not a fan of sales I see this more as people skills rather than car salesman skills...

Do any agents here have a helpful opinion on my idea? Is the job (in the beginning) flexible? Can I somewhat set my own hours or work part time? Or is that flexiblity a myth? I appreciate your opinions!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 07:56 PM

6,586 posts, read 15,595,798 times
So you are only available to work with clients and show houses during school hours? Won't your clients want to see houses nights and weekends because that is when they are not busy working? Seems like the hours would be the opposite of what you are looking for. Did you look into working at the school?

Old 06-17-2010, 08:01 PM

No, no, I would be available nights and evening, as well as school hours. The flexibility I am speaking of is more in the way of not having to be somewhere at 8 am not be able to leave until the clock striked 5, such that if my son is having a hard day and needs to be picked up or something like that, I have more wiggle room to arrange my day. I am trying to get an idea of what working as an agent is like, what that work day looks like. I just ran into a post or blog somewhere online detailing how one mom got her license specifically because she would be able to enjoy some flexiblity of hours that one normally doesnt get at a traditional 9-5.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:36 AM

22,127 posts, read 28,874,126 times
The only people who actually make a living as a real estate agent are the ones who treat the job as a profession, put in the hours on a set schedule plus O/T as needed, and have a large network of people to get referral business from.

Most real estate agencies require new agents to sit at the desk on a set schedule (unless they have showings) to pick up any business that might wander in off the street.

The people who want to revolve their schedule around their kids don't make very much, maybe one closing a month--and it won't be an expensive home. You'd be looking at $1500 a month gross, and you have to pay for your own business cards, advertising, gas and tolls, etc. You aren't going to get listings or sell luxury real estate (which is where the money is) as a part time agent.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:18 AM

61 posts, read 174,659 times
Default Cost of being an agent in Florida

You also want to look carefully at the real cost of being a real estate agent in Florida. It is more expensive than you think. In addition to the amount you spend on your licensing exam and preparation course, you will have association dues, MLS access fees, local board membership, E & O insurance, advertising, technology, and so on and so on. Also, many of the brokerages have fees associated with them. These so-called "desk" or "advertising" fees can vary, but they are usually assessed monthly. Can you afford the outlay before you actually start making money?

You should sit down with a local broker to discuss all of these issues. They will go over the reality of being an agent with you and you can decide for yourself whether it is worth it proceed. You can most likely find the schedule you like, but at what cost otherwise?

Old 06-18-2010, 10:14 AM

Thank you both for the info, I dont really know the first thing about it. Now I have some idea to proceed with. I wasnt aware of all those costs, and I wasnt aware that new agents are 9-5'ers in the strict sense. I think I will find a broker 's brain to pick out. Thanks again!

Old 06-18-2010, 10:22 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,125,621 times
Did you try posting on the Real Estate Forum ?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:19 AM

17,580 posts, read 18,159,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Did you try posting on the Real Estate Forum ?
And there is a sub forum for real estate professionals. I'm sure you can get some good input there.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:22 PM

thank you, I am reposting it in the real estate forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment