Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 06:33 AM

274 posts, read 998,081 times

Advertisements

"we get many applications a day. what sets you apart from the rest of the crowd and why should we hire you?"

this is a close cousin to the "tell me about yourself" question. it's a difficult question because you have to sell yourself well to the interviewer and not just state the typical response, as many candidates/applicants do.

here are some things i would share with the interviewer when asked this:

- express your sincere interest in the company. in reality, that should be the sole reason why you're sitting in front of the person interviewing for the job AT that company in the first place. it'd be really hard to just make something up on the fly if you didn't have the interest from the start. if you were just randomly applying for jobs, it'd definitely show.

- share unique traits or personal experiences as they relate to the company and/or job you're applying for. walk the interviewer through why the company attracted you to that particular role. here's your chance to add a little humor in the conversation... do it well and it'd give you brownie points showing that you have personality.

- give at least one impactful example of an accomplishment or achievement that relates to the work that you'd be doing if you worked at that company. lead it during the conversation as a transition like so: "... in fact, when i worked at company abc, i really enjoyed the ability to mentor others and lead so i want to continue that..."

- share what you know about the company and related industry. if you can relate industry trends or company news/mission with your personal experiences as a personal pursuit, that's a plus. in a confident manner, show that your experiences and skills can contribute well and add value to the organization.

i suggest having this down on paper in an outline form so you can review. these examples and responses can be used to answer future questions that sound like the "tell me about yourself" questions. you'd be surprised how helpful it can be

in every interview, whether the initial or subsequent ones, this technique has always worked for me - and has moved me on to the next step every time.

hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 07:07 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
Look up "elevator pitch" or "elevator speech"...

You write a 30 second blurb about yourself highlighting how your skills can help the company...Once you create one, memorize it and practice using it in front of a mirror...

Old 06-18-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Look up "elevator pitch" or "elevator speech"...

You write a 30 second blurb about yourself highlighting how your skills can help the company...Once you create one, memorize it and practice using it in front of a mirror...

Old 06-18-2010, 07:44 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
Tried to give you Rep Rutt, but guess I need to spread it around...

To add...Many articles state that babbling off your life story for 5 minutes is a huge pet peeve for HR managers...Give them your 30 second pitch and if they want you to expand on something they'll ask. Case and point, saying what a great burger flipper you were a decade ago at Burger King probably will not help your cause for an analysis position at IBM

Old 06-18-2010, 08:00 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Good post RR. Gotta play the game, after all.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:30 PM

244 posts, read 814,439 times
Great tips, Rutt Roh and TheJagMan. They are very helpful.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:57 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Yep, as soon as I saw this OP I thought "elevator speech" LOL

Old 06-18-2010, 08:09 PM

you'd be surprised how many people are unprepared when asked this question or something similar... let alone an "elevator speech".

don't get caught off guard! this is one of several generic questions that can possibly be deal breakers during an interview if answered incorrectly.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutt Roh View Post
you'd be surprised how many people are unprepared when asked this question or something similar... let alone an "elevator speech".

don't get caught off guard! this is one of several generic questions that can possibly be deal breakers during an interview if answered incorrectly.
Yes - and it's hard to convince someone to hire you when you don't know yourself why they should hire you.

You should ask yourself what sets you apart - after all, they are hiring someone to do a particular job - so why should you get the job over the others?

How else can you convince them you're the right person for the job if you don't really believe you are?

Old 06-19-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes - and it's hard to convince someone to hire you when you don't know yourself why they should hire you.

You should ask yourself what sets you apart - after all, they are hiring someone to do a particular job - so why should you get the job over the others?

How else can you convince them you're the right person for the job if you don't really believe you are?
yep, exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment