Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 11:50 PM

10 posts, read 28,054 times

Advertisements

Do all business careers work more than 40+ hours a week? I'm interested in getting a Finance degree but, I don't want to have to work 60+ hours every week all the time. Anyone know of any decent paying finance careers that work a regular 40 hour week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 03:06 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD_Rlz View Post
Do all business careers work more than 40+ hours a week? I'm interested in getting a Finance degree but, I don't want to have to work 60+ hours every week all the time. Anyone know of any decent paying finance careers that work a regular 40 hour week?
No

Old 06-23-2010, 06:10 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD_Rlz View Post
I have a Finance degree and before I was downsized, I was a Financial Analyst. I was involved with Mergers, Acquisitions Leveraged Buyouts and I still do a little bit with Private Equity. The skills that I developed are second to none. They will help be become very successful as a attempt to buy my first business next year.

To answer your question, it depends on what path you want to take.

If you want to work as a Investment Banker, you can expect to work up to 80 hours a week.

If you want to manage a fund of some sort, expect the same kind of hours.

You can probably get away with a regular 40 hour a week job as a FA in Corporate Finance as an Associate Analyst. As you move up the ranks and get more experience, you be working more hours.

Finance is a good field of study. Even if you don't go to a top school, try to get the best grades that you can get. Decide what path you want to go on.

Once you get to school start networking with employers and the Mover and Shakers in the industry. Find a mentor, if you will. Someone that can "pull you up" the ladder and make things happen. That's all you have going for you when you're getting started. Do that and have excellent grades, you'll be just fine. This will pay off nicely for you.

Good luck

Last edited by Ron.; 06-23-2010 at 06:32 AM..

Old 06-23-2010, 06:24 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times
Get into the government. We RARELY work more than 40 hours a week and the pay is rather nice, the trouble is getting your foot in the door.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:45 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Impossible to really answer that question. You could take the same exact job in two different companies and one may work 60 hours a week and the other may work 40 hours a week.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:58 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,438 times
Generally, if you have ambition, want to develop your skills, and work on the best and most interesting projects, you have to work more than 40 hours per week. Mainly because the important stuff is usually more complex and time sensitive than routine matters. A lot of folks that work 40 hours per week basically do the same tasks year after year (i.e. get the job done, but not much more). That's OK if they have interests beyond work and are comfortable where they are at. But if you want to progress and earn more money, you'll have to put in the effort to gain the skills and recognition that gets you better jobs or promotions.

In a prior post, I noted that the 60 and 70 hour work week is often exaggerated. It's really a 40 to 55 hour regular work week, with an occassional heavy week (or weeks) of 70+ hours during a busy time, to meet a deadline, or because the job involves a seasonal busy time. The very few jobs where 70+ hour work week is normal year round, week to week, are not long term jobs. They are designed to be short term jobs that weed out a lot of folks, then the survivors have a more normal schedule.

I've reviewed many time reports of the supposed 70+ hour workers, to only find out that they averaged 50 hours a week over the entire year (I needed to do this to calculate year end bonus figures). It just seems to them they are working so much, when it is only for a small portion of the year or just sporadic.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:30 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
That does not apply to Investment Bankers.......70-80 hours a week is in fact 70-80 hours a week.....all of the time. From day 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Generally, if you have ambition, want to develop your skills, and work on the best and most interesting projects, you have to work more than 40 hours per week. Mainly because the important stuff is usually more complex and time sensitive than routine matters. A lot of folks that work 40 hours per week basically do the same tasks year after year (i.e. get the job done, but not much more). That's OK if they have interests beyond work and are comfortable where they are at. But if you want to progress and earn more money, you'll have to put in the effort to gain the skills and recognition that gets you better jobs or promotions.

In a prior post, I noted that the 60 and 70 hour work week is often exaggerated. It's really a 40 to 55 hour regular work week, with an occassional heavy week (or weeks) of 70+ hours during a busy time, to meet a deadline, or because the job involves a seasonal busy time. The very few jobs where 70+ hour work week is normal year round, week to week, are not long term jobs. They are designed to be short term jobs that weed out a lot of folks, then the survivors have a more normal schedule.

I've reviewed many time reports of the supposed 70+ hour workers, to only find out that they averaged 50 hours a week over the entire year (I needed to do this to calculate year end bonus figures). It just seems to them they are working so much, when it is only for a small portion of the year or just sporadic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment