Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 06:38 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,744,667 times

Advertisements

I applied for a job with my dream employer.
I'd be looking at a pay raise of almost $3.00 more an hour, more job responsibilities, and more opportunities for advancement.

With my current employer, things are very wishy-washy.
I've suggested a lot of improvements and instead of using a lot of them, the company sees them as criticisms. When they have used my ideas, I don't get credit for them.

I received a letter in the mail from the dream employer:

Dear applicant,

We have received your application and it will be reviewed shortly. If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified during the week of July 6, 2010.

I've had some people suggest I introduce myself to the person who will be my supervisor. The day I went to turn in my application, he was basically gone for vacation or whatever.

I am thinking about introducing myself to him this Monday. "Hi my name is [my name here] and I applied for the ________ position. I am very interested in this position and feel I can bring a lot to the table."

Since they sent me the letter, I feel like this may not be necessary.

I have applied for jobs with this company before and they haven't sent me a letter like the one I mentioned. They have sent me ONE letter before in the past letting me know I was not selected for a job.

Shortly after I took the job with my current employer, they called wanting an interview for a position.

I'm sort of at a lost as to how to make myself stand out from the other applicants. I sent along a cover letter and my resume along with the job application. I know cover letters are a rarity and I know that can make my job application stand out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 07:38 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,710,316 times
Its a bold move... You haven't even gotten an interview. If you do go that route keep it short and make sure you give a couple reasons why they need to at least interview you.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:51 PM

874 posts, read 1,654,935 times
I probably wouldn't do that unless you're sure it will help. It could make you seem overbearing or at least it could be an awkward meeting. However, I assume you know the company culture better than I do.

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2010, 07:52 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,677,594 times
If you're going to do it, make sure you make a first good impression. You will probably get one chance at this.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:18 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,002,162 times
I wouldn't.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:16 PM

275 posts, read 741,507 times
I would. Easily.

There too many reasons why good candidate would not even be called for an interview(HR system glitch, resume was tossed along with another one, "closer" matched candidates, who copied job requirements and pasted them into their not so "close" resumes...).

If you are interested, go for it, just keep in mind the reason they duscualified you in the past may be your qualification, which is too high for the position. People would like to hire someone, who will take their positions, when they go up, not in reverse.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:44 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,822,658 times
No need to since the application you submitted will determine whether or not you get a interview. Trying to meet whoever will be your supervisor will make you look desperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment