U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-30-2010, 04:18 PM

40 posts, read 129,851 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any kind of information about teaching for texas state or federal (in texas) prisons? Sick of the public school system!!!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 05:13 PM

8,422 posts, read 14,348,484 times
Many years ago, I took some law enforcement classes at a university in Texas. Part of the classwork included field trips to the Goree(women's) Unit and the Ferguson Unit.

I think these places would make you find an appreciation for public schools.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:16 PM

40 posts, read 129,851 times
Default texas prison

That bad huh?

Old 07-01-2010, 06:00 PM

8,422 posts, read 14,348,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygirl68 View Post
That bad huh?
There's just something dismal about hearing those gates and doors lock behind you.

Plus......who is IN these prisons????? The worst of the worst students you ever taught in public school.

When I was studying CJ, the education level of the average inmate was less than 6th grade. Many are functionally illiterate because they were just a problem to be passed on in the public schools.

Maybe try teaching in a private school?

Old 01-12-2011, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,579 times
I have a Master's in Computer Science and a Bachelor's in Physics with a minor in Mathematics. I am also fluently bilingual (English and Spanish), which everyone says is a skill in short supply just like Mathematics, but I cannot get work as a teacher, because I am not certified, and in any case, the public schools are not hiring in the Austin, Texas area. Might there openings for non-certified teachers in state or federal prisons?

Old 01-12-2011, 05:29 PM

18,868 posts, read 16,002,659 times
I taught at a prison once, and it was okay. The classroom was small, and the students all had packets they were working on for their GED. Most of the students I taught had IEP's, so they were eligible for special education until age 22. Everyone was very polite to me, because going to school was quite a privledge, and no one wanted to mess that up. I taught men in the morning, and women in the afternoon. I made it fun, and we would watch a movie on Friday's, something for them to "process" and write a paper on over the weekend to discuss on Monday...just to add something to the class. That was a fat job. Now, I don't know about not being certified, because I have a masters in Special Education, which is how I got that job...but don't be afraid of getting lice...and sort of pick a "uniform" to wear, that you change out of as soon as you get home, and take a shower, and wash the clothes immediately. The guards get uniforms, you don't. I also wore extremely conservative clothes, and made sure I kept appropriate boundaries at all times. I never, ever let myself be alone with a student, I always made sure I was with at least three or more students. I never took anything into the prison with me, but books. I left my purse, and cell phone locked in my car. Remember, this is a prison...

Last edited by jasper12; 01-12-2011 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: edit.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:22 PM

3,357 posts, read 5,312,304 times
Maybe if it was a womans prison I would consider it, but a female teacher in a man's prison, I can not see that being better then teaching in a public school at all.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:12 AM

8,066 posts, read 8,234,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Maybe if it was a womans prison I would consider it, but a female teacher in a man's prison, I can not see that being better then teaching in a public school at all.

I would be scared too. But if she wants to do that she should. It is nice to see people who cares about others first.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:03 PM

18,868 posts, read 16,002,659 times
I worked in the mens section of the prison, and was perfectly safe. No problems in three years of teaching. Believe me, teaching in prison is cake compared to inner city Las Vegas public school.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:01 PM

1,590 posts, read 3,167,201 times
I heard an ad on the radio yesterday that Aramco was having a job fair for Houston teachers especially for the purpose of hiring teachers to go to Saudi. I don't recall where or the time but I know it is for this Friday (1/21/11). Here is a link to a site for Saudi Aramco Schools and there is likely someone listed there to call or you could just call Aramaco. Having a job fair means they have a number of positions to fill so if you have at least three years teaching experience and are certified, you might want to consider it.

http://www.saudiaramco.com/irj/porta...ployment&ln=en
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment