Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 05:05 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,548,012 times

Advertisements

I think you're right (kinda') about taking a break from stuff.

I remember years ago I took a job and move to a new city. I didn't have a TV (so didn't watch any, I read lots of books) for almost three months. I felt like my thinking was much clearer.

It certainly won't fix your problems. But a rest from certain things can sometimes make you feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 05:29 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,303,886 times
True dat brotha!

I've been guilty of being one of the negative posters on this forum. One of my first serious threads was about how horrible it was coming out of college right in the middle of this recession (2008). I've also responded to some posts in ways that I feel bad about now. I consider myself to be a critical thinker, but sometimes I'll look back at my posts and realize I jumped the gun. Most of the time, I'll try to go back for further clarification or simply to apologize for the misunderstanding.

People have tried to denigrate me on here as well. Given the fact that a lot of these people were deemed trolls by my fellow C-D brethren, I tried not to take it to heart. I have to admit, though, using this forum has brought me down to some low points over the past year or so that I've used it. Sometimes it was to the point that it posed certain health risks (anxiety, depression, etc.). So, here and there, I take breaks from it when it starts interfering with my well being.

Now, I don't mean to put down this forum. It has been a useful tool for me and plenty of others around the world. It has allowed me to pose questions and vent, while allowing me to respond to other people's questions. Though I've never met any of these people, besides maybe one person, I feel like I've developed some truly unique and special relationships on here. Thats one of the qualities I truly appreciate about this forum.

Anyways, regarding my advice earlier to log off C-D for awhile. I think it can be advantageous for folks, particularly those going through a rough time. It's easy to rant online when your identity is completely hidden. With that being said, some people say things that they normally would not say given normal circumstances. Often, I think this can lead to people feeling even worse about their situation, which is totally counter-productive. That's why I think people should get away from the forums and all the negativity in their lives from time to time so that they don't fall into a deeper rut. While on vacation from these negative venues, surround yourself with good people who will encourage you and make you feel better about yourself. I think that will give even the most depressed, discouraged individual a good push into a positive direction. It sure beats going back and forth debating who's responsible for this mess or who's hard-working vs. who's not hard-working every day.

Just my two cents.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:38 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,548,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
Just my two cents.
It was a good two cents.

OK, you've convinced me. I'm leaving the TV off for the rest of this month (well I might watch a movie on DVD). I have some research to do on the computer so I'll need to use it.

But hey... Maybe I'll read some books this month. Actually I usually read tons of books. But, I do leave them out when I get busy. So, I'll replace TV with books for this month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment