Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 02:25 PM

874 posts, read 1,659,555 times

Advertisements

I'm in a similar position to you rishi85. I agree with mcb1025, don't listen to Charles. Pursue your dreams now or you'll regret it the rest of your life. You don't have kids or a significant other so you only have to worry about coordinating your own life right now. Job shadowing and interviewing people in jobs you want to be in can also give you a better idea about different jobs. You aren't a fool or hopeless. Don't give up.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 03:59 PM

244 posts, read 814,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I am a hopeless, hopeless man.I am 24 and CLUELESS-No idea what I need to do.I have done my 2 years undergraduates in history and I am clueless....I am being outright
Sometimes I want to be a forensic scientist, others I want to be a curator and even a geologist.Men my age have already done their graduation for the most part.

What I do know is I don't need a lot of money as I know my capabilities-No car, no wife or family now and no real interest in gadgets, clothes or cars!

I worked in a call centre for 6 months(my only job in life!) but I know I don't wish to be an MBA or a Lawyer just because of society pressure.I do still live with my parents but help them out and will be moving out this september forever.

I have a passion for cinema and I write scripts so I am going for a script-writing course(something which has OFFENDED my family) to Canada and I know the risks.

You can say I have wasted my life but I am willing to take the risk and do what I love(though I am clueless).....I do have a backup plan and that is to learn a trade in case(and most probably) my script-writing career doesn't go anywhere.

My question is.......How enlightened were you at age 24 when compared to this fool.....way better or slightly better off ?
At 24, I had relocated to a state I have never lived in and was working a bunch of dead-end jobs. I did not have any true career goals at that time.

Back in college, I had listened to a certain family member's opinion about going into an artistic major and chose another major instead. . I should have majored in Art anyway, because that is something I wanted to do at that time.

At about age 26, I decided to quit goofing around and pursue what I should have done back in college. However, this time, instead of majoring in General Art, I chose Graphic Design since I wanted to be artistic on the computer, which of course was very popular by then. I took various courses in Multimedia Design, which pretty much covered all aspects of design, graduated, landed a job several years later as a Graphic Artist in a sign shop, and did some freelancing on the side. I finally came to the conclusion that I wanted to continue working as an artist in a production environment, but more specifically in publishing. I have been pursuing that career passion ever since and I am hopeful it will happen for me someday. I also have a back-up career if working in publishing does not work out, so that's good that you do also.

So I say to you, please pursue what is in your heart. Some family members may not agree with you, but if you can ask yourself, "Will I regret NOT doing this?" and the answer is yes, then you should go for it. If it does not work out, at least you can look back and say you tried. Better to have tried, than not try at all. Good luck to you and you can do it!

Old 07-11-2010, 04:00 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,764,282 times
I am about your age. I graduated with an economics degree from a state college a couple months ago. I have worked in a warehouse for about a year, and do ok money wise. I am currently enjoying life and looking for a job in my field. To complicate things, i am looking to relocate. So I live in North Jersey and I am looking for work in Philly/delaware.

My advice to you would be to find a job. Working is simply a way to make money. You probably are not going to get some super fun job... That is just not realistic. I find that it is the quality of co-workers that really makes a job enjoyable in the first place

Old 07-11-2010, 04:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Now, I know there is no security without God, and am building my spiritual foundation.

pray to that essence within you that guides your conscience -- it doesn't care what you call it.

This is the work and employment forum. If you want to discuss religion, go to the religion board please...

Old 07-11-2010, 05:14 PM

874 posts, read 1,659,555 times
He or she was giving advice. Perhaps it was a bit presumptuous but I'm not sure how going to the religion forum would be applicable in this situation. We mention college degrees and people don't say to move to the education forum.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:29 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,901,626 times
Something tells me when september comes around and you have to rely on your own wits to get by, you'll find some clarity on what you want to do. Nothing like financial necessity to take the blinders off.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:40 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,958 times
When I was 24, I had been out of LPN school for 3 years and had a good job. I was still living a pretty wild life - it was the early '70's

Old 07-11-2010, 09:07 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This is the work and employment forum. If you want to discuss religion, go to the religion board please...
I don't think so. I think the post belongs in here because the OP is seeking what others were like (or are like) around his age and seeing how other people are figuring out what to do with their life essentially. That one poster was telling the OP that they are figuring it out through a relationship with God. Just because you find religious people insane doesn't mean you should try and throw them all out of this forum. Logic and reason doesn't always prevail Charles. Maybe it does for you, but I would like to think that humans can also have feelings, aspirations, dreams, and/or faith.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:15 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,777,607 times
When I was 24, I had left college and relocated to another state. I had an AS degree and was looking for 'a job in my field'. Well that never happened, but I did find a career in another area. Unfortunately that area was real estate and the bubble burst, forcing me to focus my long range plans a bit more.

Looking back, at 24 I still was not sure which direction to take career-wise. But I was willing to take advantage of any good opportunity that came my way.

Now at 31, I am back in graduate school (so I did get that bachelor's)...and with a clearer view of my goals. Although I had some hold-ups along the way. Just keep progressing. You'll get there eventually.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:21 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
I am currently 24. I am a computer programmer by day and have just started going after an MBA at night. I have been studying the stock market/real estate investing on my own for a few years and bought my first place when I was 23. I love investing/real estate/financial planning and hopefully can gain more skills in those areas over the next few years of my MBA. I definitely know I don't want to still be a programmer/software engineer 5 years from now.

My advice would be this - think of what you want to do from two areas, talent and interest. Choose something in which you have the highest combination of those two. Assign values to them (1-5) For example, if you LOVE cinema but are terrible at it, you would have a '5' in interest but a '1' in talent. 5x1 = 5 total. If you enjoy marketing and are OK at it, assign a '3' to each. 3x3=9. Success lies in maximizing the combination of those two things.

Make a spreadsheet with assigned values like that and really analyze (not think about, but analyze!) your talents and interests. Be brutally honest about your natural talents. For example, I would love to get into marketing, but I simply am not good at it. No matter how high my interest is, I refuse to dedicate my life to something in which I simply have no talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment