Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 08:15 AM

5 posts, read 9,706 times

Advertisements

I just graduated with a Master's in Rehabilitation Counseling. I'm looking to work in a mental health facility, a dual-diagnosis clinic or in an Employee Assistance Program (behavioral health). I'm looking to attain my LPC in two years, after the required supervision hours. At this point, I can either stay in Tennessee or move elsewhere, preferably Denver, Albuquerque, Birmingham (where I'm originally from) or some other locale where there exists many opportunities in the mental health field. I eventually want to be a program director. Any advice/input/etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 07:35 PM

751 posts, read 2,480,352 times
I think the most important thing you need to keep in mind is that mental health counselors need experience in order to get the good higher paying jobs. Your degree only means you meet the minimum qualification. Expect to start out at the bottom of the totem pole. A lot of places will only hire new people as PRN or part time. Don't be afraid to accept these jobs. They get your foot in the door, and you get great experience.

I know a lot of people who got full time day jobs doing what Im going to call babysitting because the title is escaping me. But its at residential facilities where its your job to monitor/track behaviors of kids or mental health patients, or even doing one on one life skills training types of things. Then they took PRN or part time evening counseling positions. This way they have a steady income, but they get their foot in the door at the job they really want - or at least very similar.

Another thing, mental health work is very stressful. Everyone thinks you should be able to fix their problems for them. Most come to you not understanding that only they can fix it, you are just there to assist them. Make sure you have stress reducing activities for yourself.

Welcome to the mental health field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment