Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 05:17 PM

2,621 posts, read 4,019,023 times

Advertisements

Many of us have probably experienced both at one point in time.

The micro-manager keeps you under scrutiny, questioning your moves. S/he gives advice on your work whether or not you think it's necessary. At times you don't feel trusted. You may appreciate his/her concerns when needed, but also think s/he doubts your capabilities when you're doing a capable job.

Pro: They're there when you don't need them
Con: They're there when you do need them

The macro-manager is the opposite: S/he may be absent often, leaving you to make all/most of the decisions, s/he isn't abundant with advice, but expects a certain level of competency, whether or not the few directions given are completely understood. His/her absenteeism be a relief for awhile, but his/her lack of direction can come across as detached and apathetic, and may be frustrating when you're left with even the responsibilities s/he should be making.

Pro: They aren't there when you don't need them
Con: They aren't there when you do need them

Which do you think is worse and why?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 05:25 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,473,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post

The micro-manager keeps you under scrutiny, questioning your moves. S/he gives advice on your work whether or not you think it's necessary. At times you don't feel trusted. You may appreciate his/her concerns when needed, but also think s/he doubts your capabilities when you're doing a capable job.

The macro-manager is the opposite: S/he may be absent often, leaving you to make all/most of the decisions, s/he isn't abundant with advice, but expects a certain level of competency, whether or not the few directions given are completely understood. His/her absenteeism be a relief for awhile, but his/her lack of direction can come across as detached and apathetic, and may be frustrating when you're left with even the responsibilities s/he should be making.

My Opinion: If you're competent you will hate the Micro and not need the Macro. Micro only works for a trainee or someone who is struggling with their assignment.

My last two bosses trusted me to do a good job, left me alone and they were not disappointed. Having a Micro would drive me nuts and make me feel like the boss doesn't trust me to do the job right.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:26 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,804,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post

Think this may be back (bolded type) to front LOL

I think they're both as bad as the other to be honest. Both cause unnecessary stress for the worker who is just trying to do their job to the best of their ability.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:53 PM

850 posts, read 1,541,889 times
Do your job, stay clear of gossip and bull**** and you will be fine.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:54 PM

299 posts, read 901,236 times
I've had the opportunity to work under several micro-managers and one macro-manager. Under the macro-manager, things ran pretty smooth and my fellow associates and I were able to make decisions without having to go through the chain of command.

Micro-managers are very difficult to work for, IMO. They treat employees like robots and don't trust them to get the job done right the first time, and on their own. Yes, they will be there when you need them but when you don't need them and don't want them around, you are always having to look over your shoulder and make sure you are doing things the right way.

In short, macro-managers trust their employees, micro-managers don't.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:59 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,582,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
I've had the opportunity to work under several micro-managers and one macro-manager. Under the macro-manager, things ran pretty smooth and my fellow associates and I were able to make decisions without having to go through the chain of command.

Micro-managers are very difficult to work for, IMO. They treat employees like robots and don't trust them to get the job done right the first time, and on their own. Yes, they will be there when you need them but when you don't need them and don't want them around, you are always having to look over your shoulder and make sure you are doing things the right way.

I somewhat agree with this assessment, but what about the macro-manager who is out of touch and out of sight, but if something goes wrong, there he or she is to stick the blame to you in front of the highers. Ever work for someone like that? They're great!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:36 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,804,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
Or, more to the point, macro managers trust their own judgement (in hiring) while micros don't (hence the constant scrutiny).

Old 07-13-2010, 07:48 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,735,275 times
I think what's worse than these two management types is subordinate who is unwilling to adapt their work style to fit in with their superiors management style. Like it or not this person is higher than you for a reason (no matter how many times you mumble under your breath that they are incompetent do nothings).

If you have a micro manager and are not willing to go job hunting then I suggest you take the time to CONSTANTLY update your manager on where you are with a project, what items are pending and what decisions need to be made. If this person knows they can count on you to constantly give them information then they will be much less likely to peer over your shoulder every five minutes.

Have a macro manager? Great, still update them periodically so they know you are alive and working. Need guidance on a project don't pester them every five minutes of their day with silly questions use the opportunity to make some decisions on your own and save all your important questions for the end of the day/week, whatever works.

Until the day when you are you own boss you will need to report to SOMEONE so I suggest you work on adapting to them instead of expecting your boss to adapt to you.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:34 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,186,553 times
Neither, really; it's all how they manifest. I've experienced the pros and cons of both.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:47 PM

2,621 posts, read 4,019,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Think this may be back (bolded type) to front LOL

I think they're both as bad as the other to be honest. Both cause unnecessary stress for the worker who is just trying to do their job to the best of their ability.
Thanks for catching that Opyelie, I meant it to be the other way around...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment