Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 10:46 PM

5 posts, read 9,707 times

Advertisements

Today, the company for whom I work found out that they hired a guy about a year ago who is a registered sex offender with a pretty extensive rap sheet and who lied about his former places of employment. Turns out, the guy never even worked for a couple of companies that were listed on his resume. To make matters worse, I am employed in an agency that provides care to people with mental disorders. I wonder if anyone else knows of an incompetent human resources story? How does this slip by a hiring manager? Is it possible, as logic would follow, that one could simply forge an entire resume?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 11:06 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
You want a story of hiring incompetence? Try this one on for size

Dallas Jail Guard Faces Deportation | NBC Dallas-Fort Worth

Old 07-14-2010, 11:13 PM

5 posts, read 9,707 times
Wow, how apropos. Thanks for that.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:40 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bormeunchini View Post
Is it possible, as logic would follow, that one could simply forge an entire resume?
I keep telling people the old standard resume and wait approach to hiring is going by the wayside fast.

You have to spend time with someone to find out who they *are*. What a person will do today and the next day is way more important than what they did yesterday. You can't see those things on a resume.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:06 AM

165 posts, read 564,032 times
Default Background check?

Quote:
Today, the company for whom I work found out that they hired a guy about a year ago who is a registered sex offender with a pretty extensive rap sheet and who lied about his former places of employment. Turns out, the guy never even worked for a couple of companies that were listed on his resume. To make matters worse, I am employed in an agency that provides care to people with mental disorders. I wonder if anyone else knows of an incompetent human resources story? How does this slip by a hiring manager? Is it possible, as logic would follow, that one could simply forge an entire resume?
What happened to the background check? A simple Internet search could have revealed the sex offender stuff. There are so many companies out there that run backgrounds for super cheap--use to work for one. People pad resumes all the time which is why competent HR folks call former employers, high schools/colleges to verify degrees, references, etc. Or for crying out loud just Google the person's name or enter it in pipl.com and you can obtain a ton of information!

C.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:28 AM

163 posts, read 712,569 times
Quote:
I have ridiculous HR stories but, yes, one guy that was an HR DIRECTOR.....was later found to be a registered sex offender and on the Megan's Law website. This man was having an affair with a young gal at work that turned sour and she found him on this site, reported it and he was terminated. (His crime was he raped a 7 year old).

Unreal........because this company was a Non-profit that provided Shelter to homeless/families/parolees, etc and was accepting Government grants and he was surrounded with young kids on the intake process.

Wonder what ever happened to that guy?! Anyway- he was nasty mean to everyone so it was quite a 'burn' if you will, that he was canned and marched out in front of all of us.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:03 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
I keep telling people the old standard resume and wait approach to hiring is going by the wayside fast.

You have to spend time with someone to find out who they *are*. What a person will do today and the next day is way more important than what they did yesterday. You can't see those things on a resume.
I do believe that people are capable of changing, but sex offenders are another story. I would never trust one to be around children or people with mental disorders. I could be wrong, but wouldn't be willing to take a chance on hiring one in a sensitive position.

I don't have any wild stories to tell, but our HR dept is pretty incompetent. It took me months to get on a sub teacher, despite the fact that I had years of experience and a degree, and they needed subs very badly. When the schools called them and asked them to get more subs, they answered that no one was applying for the jobs.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:01 PM

387 posts, read 532,929 times
Her work permit had recently expired but since had married a U.S. citizen. She didn't upgrade her paperwork and was thus found illegal once she applied for a different job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
You want a story of hiring incompetence? Try this one on for size

Dallas Jail Guard Faces Deportation | NBC Dallas-Fort Worth

Old 07-15-2010, 06:46 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalTrust View Post
Her work permit had recently expired but since had married a U.S. citizen. She didn't upgrade her paperwork and was thus found illegal once she applied for a different job.
Do you have a link for that, because the original article says "it should have been caught when she was first hired".

She wasn't "found illegal" she WAS here illegally, even before she got caught........she had a temporary work permit she should NEVER have had as she was here illegally.

From another article showing HR incompetency, which is what this thread is about btw

Quote:
Despite being in the U.S. illegally for the past 12 years, Maria Elvia Ross was able to obtain a temporary work permit, get a job as a Dallas County sheriff's jailer and avoid detection by her supervisors for several years even though she provided them inconsistent answers about her citizenship, records show.
FYI - marrying an American doesn't bestow legality, it's not a case of "just upgrading her paperwork".

Old 07-15-2010, 06:49 PM

387 posts, read 532,929 times
It says that she had a temporary work permit that had expired several years ago. It's unknown about why she didn't update her paperwork or simply save up to go back to Mexico. It's far better than jail time.

Discrepancies in illegal immigrant's applications for Dallas County deputy led to her arrest | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Breaking News for Dallas-Fort Worth | Dallas Morning News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Do you have a link for that, because the original article says "it should have been caught when she was first hired".

She wasn't "found illegal" she WAS here illegally, in whichever case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment