Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 10:08 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,133,308 times

Advertisements

I'm in HR Staffing and I want to make a point about the increasing qualification demands for modern jobs.

Many jobs nowadays require alot of experience (and sometimes education), employers don't want to 'try' someone who 'might' be able to do the work, they'll hold out for a truly qualified candidate.

This is an upsetting trend in the current (and future?) job market... jobs are difficult, beyond what most people can handle. Most humans through history have done simpler work like farming, fighting, factory work, general care, work with the hands, etc.

Nowadays in the US we need people who know a certain subject matter very well, can master a lofty set of regulations, while being strong on computer and can communicate well in person and in writing.

Unemployment may be 10% (plus those who stopped looking), but if there were more basic old-school jobs, unemployment would be far lower (and we wouldn't import as much talent from overseas). Of course exporting jobs goes down to corporate greed or survival.

Bachelors and Graduate degrees can help prepare people but not nearly enough IMO. I feel that people with a real passion or genius in a given field will be able to thrive... the others....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 10:40 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,310,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I'm in HR Staffing and I want to make a point about the increasing qualification demands for modern jobs.

Many jobs nowadays require alot of experience (and sometimes education), employers don't want to 'try' someone who 'might' be able to do the work, they'll hold out for a truly qualified candidate.

This is an upsetting trend in the current (and future?) job market... jobs are difficult, beyond what most people can handle. Most humans through history have done simpler work like farming, fighting, factory work, general care, work with the hands, etc.

Nowadays in the US we need people who know a certain subject matter very well, can master a lofty set of regulations, while being strong on computer and can communicate well in person and in writing.

Unemployment may be 10% (plus those who stopped looking), but if there were more basic old-school jobs, unemployment would be far lower (and we wouldn't import as much talent from overseas). Of course exporting jobs goes down to corporate greed or survival.

Bachelors and Graduate degrees can help prepare people but not nearly enough IMO. I feel that people with a real passion or genius in a given field will be able to thrive... the others....?
Companies don't like to train anymore or build from within. It used to be where you could start out working in the warehouse and eventually end up as a Systems Analyst with the company through training and educational courses provided by the employer. Companies have become such cheapskates that this is very rare, unless of course you work for Boeing, Google, Apple, Microsoft, et al.

With the lack of training being provided for younger, up and coming workers, there will be a large gap in talent/experience. So, companies will continue to argue that the importation of skilled labor from foreign countries (where education is much cheaper and/or subsidized mind you) is necessary.

"Experts" and politicians say the future of the economy rests on the backs of small businesses. As of now, I don't believe this. 1) The wages they offer are low compared to what a big corporation can offer. 2) They offer very little advancement opportunity. 3) They offer little in the way of education/training benefits.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:35 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,750,656 times
Quote:
Companies don't like to train anymore or build from within. It used to be where you could start out working in the warehouse and eventually end up as a Systems Analyst with the company through training and educational courses provided by the employer. Companies have become such cheapskates that this is very rare, unless of course you work for Boeing, Google, Apple, Microsoft, et al.

With the lack of training being provided for younger, up and coming workers, there will be a large gap in talent/experience. So, companies will continue to argue that the importation of skilled labor from foreign countries (where education is much cheaper and/or subsidized mind you) is necessary.
How many warehouse people, is needed in a modern warehouse, which operates with computers and equipment that mechanizes a lot of the work, and equipment that lifts instead of strong men? Not very many, and the ones that are hired will need a lot more knowledge to do the job from day 1, than in the past.

The job of a systems analyst is much different that when you trained people in the warehouse to move up. Today such a job requires a college education. And specialized knowledge of a particular computer program, that will take a couple of years to be proficient. I am not talking about word, or a data base program that can be bought for a few dollars. I am talking about a program that can cost a million dollars or more, and is difficult to even install and implement. And annual license fees can run into hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:16 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,028,805 times
It is all a scam and corporate America is fully to blame. They want top-level, company specific talent for minimum wage with no job security. Then, they wonder why they can't find the "purple squirrels" they want, much less as laughable wages.

Just one example among many in the engineering world:

(Company name redacted) is currently looking for a Manufacturing Engineer I – Project Employee to work in our Clearfield, UT location.

***NOTE: This is a temporary project-level position.***

Job description:

Support manufacturing in high rate composite part production facility. Work closely with manufacturing personnel to solve production issues on highly automated processes using data based problem solving techniques. Learn and understand requirement to determine product impacts and recommend disposition of the parts. Work in a cross functional team to develop and implement process improvements.

Requirements & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Manufacturing Engineering
- Must be able to work weekends (Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, 10 hour day shifts)
- Good organizational skills and ability to work with minimal direction in a changing environment.
- Excellent computer skills. Skilled in working with Microsoft Office applications
- Strong problem solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills

Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of Catia V5
- Knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T)
- Knowledge of root cause / corrective action processes and techniques
- Functional knowledge of Process Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (PFMEA)
- Functional knowledge of SPC
- Experience in working with aerospace specifications and requirements preferred
- Composite experience preferred
- Programming skills (control systems)
- Experience using SPC to monitor and improve processes
- High rate production experience preferred

Competencies for Success:
- Ability to multitask and prioritize
- Strong attention to detail
- Initiative, self starter, adaptable, and high motivation for excellence
- High energy, results oriented, self motivated / self reliant, team player
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to interface with an organization at all levels
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment

Summary: So, let me get this straight - they want somebody with narrow experience in aerospace, with composites, and with programming experience - and on 1 specific CAD tool... who can work at all hours of the day, weekends included... and it is a TEMPORARY position.

So, yeah... that's what your engineering degree and years of experience will get you these days. Good luck even meeting all the requirements and preferences, and even if you do get the job, you have no job security and get to work all hours of the week. Fun, fun, fun... but clearly the problem is that Americans are "lazy" and "have no skills." I have no idea what the pay rate is, but rest assured it isn't worth it unless you live in the area and literally have nothing better to do with your time.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:00 AM

251 posts, read 340,977 times
^^^^^^

I wonder how many people actually meet those skills and requirements closely. I would be surprised and there were more than a handful per state.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop View Post
^^^^^^

I wonder how many people actually meet those skills and requirements closely. I would be surprised and there were more than a handful per state.
And even if you do meet them, what are you going to do - apply for a TEMPORARY out of state position? It's a joke - just another excuse to claim "lack of qualified Americans" since people aren't interested in being temp-worker engineers, wandering around the nation. It is sad when one would probably have better job stability at Wal-mart than in the example engineering position (and it wasn't the only one of its kind - I just didn't feel like posting all of them.)

Old 04-10-2014, 09:20 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,843,086 times
Degrees in manufacturing engineering aren't super common. Open it up to manufacturing and mechanical engineering and you'll find tons of qualified people.

Make the position permanent.

Get rid of that weekend crap. Or at least make sure there's a consistent 40-45 hour work week where the employee is working the same days every week.

Pay well. These are Engineer II skills (3-5 years experience) at the very minimum, more likely Engineer III skills (5-8 years experience).

These are the things that will net a whole bunch of highly qualified, highly valuable candidates that could really make a difference for the company.

As a MechE working in aerospace, I will say that most of the requirements are core competencies for mechanical engineers in aerospace. I've seen many job postings that are SO much worse than this.

Sorry I'm not trying to dilute your point. I entirely agree that companies have ridiculous expectations of job candidates. I just think this posting isn't as bad as it seems. Sounds like the post itself was written by someone who only has marginal knowledge of what they actually want in a candidate.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:30 AM

You are exactly right - this is by far not the worst engineering job listing I've seen, but the requirements are overdone for a temporary position with zero job security and zero control over your work schedule (and probably lousy pay given the Engineer I tag for Engineer II or III level experience requirements.) In short, if the company lived up to their end of the deal, it would be fine, but we all know how that goes these days...

Of course, then you have silly things like this one I found this week - the most amusing parts (aside from run-on paragraphs and made-up words like "ideation") are highlighted:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

In this role your mission is to design, develop, and transition creative and efficient manufacturing processes and lines. You will be required to work closely with a cross functional team in driving brand and category innovation from original idea through to seasonal category integration. In this role you will plan and execute process development work, design and conduct scientific development trials, translate trial results into appropriate next step actions, determine alternative methods for achieving performance targets, and optimize process transition documents that properly communicate validated standards. An ability to develop state of the art engineering processes and solutions for a manufacturing environment is critical. A successful candidate must also be a good communicator, a strong collaborator, possess an ability to proactively influence diverse teams, and have a solid understanding of a product creation process. Knowledge of computers and various software applications is a must. Experience and understanding of Lean, Six Sigma, value stream mapping, root cause analysis, DOE, process flow optimization, and other IE concepts is important. You will also evaluate the manufacturability of products, develop appropriate assembly processes, and plan appropriate tools/fixtures/gauges to achieve assembly cost targets. Finally, you will be responsible for group participation in ideation, visioning, creative problem solving, and critical brainstorming on new, game-changing product or processes concepts.
• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Industrial, Process, or Manufacturing Engineering with 5 years relevant work experience.
• Strategic planning and good project management with an ability to prioritize workload and manage multiple projects at one time.
• Experience with defining equipment, preferably in a product manufacturing environment.
• Experience working with equipment suppliers (price, delivery, and on-going service) desired.
• Knowledge of mathematics involved in costing and industrial engineering.
• Experience with MS Visio 2D Cad or MS project a plus.
• Presentation skills. Working knowledge of .ppt or various other electronic means to communicate a new idea or concept. Tech writing capability a plus.
• Chinese speaking with good to strong English communication (written + verbal) capabilities.
• Sports enthusiast and can exhibit an understanding of current events in sports and/or has participated in team sports.

• Creativity and an ability to challenge status quo or convention.
• Independence or self-starter with good people skills and ability to network.
• Ability to work with and understand diverse cultures.
• Must possess ability to relocate to source country office in Taichung, Taiwan.

----------------------------------------

Summary: I removed the company name, but all of those requirements are NOT to design aerospace parts but instead to design... sneakers... And - hey - you don't even get to live in America, since that would cost too much, you know... can't have that... And yet, I'm to believe that the fault lies with the unemployed... or so I'm regularly told.

Last edited by Rambler123; 04-10-2014 at 10:08 AM..

Old 04-10-2014, 09:53 AM

251 posts, read 340,977 times
lol

that might be the answer. relocate skilled US workers to Nigeria so they can finally afford to hire them.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop View Post
lol

that might be the answer. relocate skilled US workers to Nigeria so they can finally afford to hire them.
If I recall, IBM has been fond of that tactic:

IBM stands for I've Been Moved - Mar. 31, 2009

Can't afford to pay Americans anymore... and yet, somehow, we're to believe that only employing people at 3rd world wages while expecting to charge "somebody else" 1st world prices is going to work out in the long run. Or, maybe nobody really cares so long as this quarter's earnings are up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment