Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 05:10 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times

Advertisements

At least you didn't relocate and then be told this.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 05:41 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Kristy, in my experience as a corporate executive recruiter this offer was never finalized b/c you did not formally accept their offer when you "countered"....so, you were in final negotiations and they had received your response when this new development occurred. Therefore there is no active offer at this time and it would not be necessary for them to rescind the offer.
Squirl , do you feel with the current economic climate that employees can counter offers with salary / benefits or does the make the employer feel like they might want to remove any offers / counter offers because they have so much of an * Employers Market * rather than an Employee Market right now ?

Old 07-17-2010, 07:13 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,352 times
I'll tell you what that "On Hold" @%$% means. When you hear those words from a recruiter, it can mean that you should just keep looking for a job because they fear legal exposure if they deny you the job, or it means that they are sending someone else in before you to establish seniority over you (in which case, they are basically holding you up and waving someone else around you to proceed first).

Old 07-17-2010, 07:25 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
It means they aren't going to be hiring anyone anytime soon, and when they do, it won't be you. Move on.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:23 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
Depressing as it may be, I'd agree with the others, keep looking and don't keep your hopes up too high. Even if they find a replacement #1 in a hurry, he or she may have very different ideas of how much input to have in the selection of the #2.

On the other hand, maybe you have negotiating b*lls of steel and nothing to lose and you really want that job. In that case, if you really are an ideal #2, you may be able to talk them into hiring you based on your focus on customer stability and your willingness to pick up the slack and still step back when they hire a new #1. It's up to you to sell the idea.

But still keep your eye out for something else.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:16 AM

17 posts, read 222,815 times
Being an optimistic, and the fact that the CEO was on vacation all last week, I was hoping that in some way the message "I need to put this on hold until I get things stabilized" meant let me get back into the office and see whats going on.

Thank you everyone for your input.....back to the drawing board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment