Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 06:06 PM

247 posts, read 749,830 times

Advertisements

Are you applying to be a teller? When I worked in banking, we hired college students with no experience to be tellers. It helped if you had sales experience & looked cute though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 06:11 PM

banking is 95% sales & 5% other...trust me.
Everything they ask you is for a reason. If they get you talking about your life & you are going on vacation they'll suggest you perhaps get a credit card with rewards. Or if you're having car trouble they will tell you about car loan rates. Or if you're not excited about Christmas coming so soon they'll offer you a Christmas club option. It all has a motive.

Tellers at the bank I worked at had to get 14-16 referrals (verbal agreement to meet with a loan person or open an account) a week.

Banking is for the outgoing. Perhaps go to a credit union. They are not all about profit

Old 07-21-2010, 06:12 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,710,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post

Tellers at the bank I worked at had to get 14-16 referrals (verbal agreement to meet with a loan person or open an account) a week.
Wow! That's an incredibly high number! Your platform must have been totally swamped!

Old 07-21-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Wow! That's an incredibly high number! Your platform must have been totally swamped!
yes! I worked for one of the 'big brand banks' & we were in a town of less than 15,000 people...so you do the math! But, we always got good quarterly bonus checks because the sales were so high.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:21 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,710,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
yes! I worked for one of the 'big brand banks' & we were in a town of less than 15,000 people...so you do the math! But, we always got good quarterly bonus checks because the sales were so high.
Ahh, I see the endgame then

I am with a big bank too, but we have 10 tellers, so you could imagine what 140-160 referrals would look like. I'd imagine how difficult that is in a small town too. I am in a more affluent area, and that number would difficult even with the high number of richer folks that spread their money out.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:38 PM

72,829 posts, read 62,180,867 times
Maybe I will try a credit union. Personally, I thought about a bank job for this reason. I know someone who got a job at a bank straight out of high school. She graduated in my graduating class(2004), and then I saw her working at the bank about 2 weeks later or so. Now I think, why her and not me?
For me, it really isn't a desire to go into banking. For me, it is looking for something stable and with decent pay. A bank seems closest to that. I am looking at other places like airports and an ice rink.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:33 PM

243 posts, read 1,627,789 times
honestly one of the easiest ways to get into banking is with temp agencies like adecco, manpower, spherion etc...I wasn't landing any banking jobs, and finally got a csr temp assignment with a bank through manpower...I worked that assignment for about a year until I got a permanent csr job with another bank in town...It all depends on when they are hiring, usually departments need to get permission from management in order to hire, and usually that is based on projections and needs to meet goals...also, I may be wrong, but I believe human resources continues to post jobs because they are required to meet a quota for resumes, even if there aren't any openings, that is why you may be getting turned down...I hope this helps

Old 07-22-2010, 07:52 AM

32 posts, read 124,795 times
I would like to have an additional feedback based on your previous post. You said that you never worked longer than 3 months maximum at a job. Could it be the problem lies on your job experience? Because my batch mates were immediately gotten the bank teller positions few months after they have graduated. In addition, your batch mate too had the job. So, narrowing down the possible reasons for always getting a "rejection response", I would go on with the closest possible- unstable experiences. If you're likely the introvert type of person (just like me), who would only want to work alone, facing the computer, well then, I best recommend you to try exploring the world of home-based jobs. You can find lots of opportunities in your field like finance, etc.

You can have these sites as your guide: Odesk and Job Board USA

Let me know your thoughts...

Mikaela

Old 06-15-2012, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,713 times
hello friend,

it seems u have tonns of experience when it comes to banking.Well i have recently shifted to canada toronto from india and i am persuing my project management course here.My passion is banking and i have 5 yrs bank experience in india .It was working with a big brand bank there.can you suggest me how should i approach the banks in canada.needed ur view regarding tht...
********Appreciate you support***************

Old 06-15-2012, 05:02 PM

808 posts, read 1,675,073 times
Everything requires 3-5 years of experience for everything. EVERYTHING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment