U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-23-2010, 08:56 AM

168 posts, read 207,283 times
Default Anyone work in academia/higher education? What are the pros/cons?

I've realized I have a very scholarly way of thinking about things and enjoy losing myself in concepts/theory. I graduated summa *** laude and have sorely missed being in an academic environment since graduating in December 2007. I've worked in the business world for a few years now and feel I don't get the same satisfaction out of it as I would working for a college/university. (I recently created a thread noting that I'm interested in leaving the start-up I work for to pursue better-paying opportunities.)

Here's what I have in mind:
1. Getting a full-time job at a two-year college/4-year university.
2. Provided they offer it, have the university reimburse me for tuition paid toward a master's degree.
3. Once I've worked there for a few years, consider looking for a faculty position within the university itself. I'd love to teach English and/or business and marketing.

Does this plan sound feasible? Would it be better to set my sights on higher education administration as opposed to teaching? Or can I possibly squeeze both into my career plan?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-23-2010, 09:04 AM

26,365 posts, read 48,824,101 times
What is your undergrad in?
What would you expect to earn your masters in?

Which is better at 26 years old and single? Having 95% job satisfaction and earning $45K a year, or Having 65% job satisfaction and earning $80K a year?

Which is better at 42 years old, married and three kids? Having 95% job satisfaction and earning $45K a year, or Having 65% job satisfaction and earning $80K a year?

Unread 07-23-2010, 09:09 AM

I don't get your drift, Charles. Do you mean to say that you can't really move up much if you go into academia?

Unread 07-23-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I don't get your drift, Charles. Do you mean to say that you can't really move up much if you go into academia?
I think a lot depends on the major. People who majored in something like English or History might do better in academia than in non-academia. People who majored in engineering or the sciences may do better in industry.

What are the answers to the questions in post 2?

Unread 07-23-2010, 09:21 AM

11,743 posts, read 8,452,295 times
What kind of full-time job are you imagining you're going to get at a university? If you don't have a PhD or are not a grad student at that particular college, your likelihood of getting an academic or teaching position is pretty much nil. Most people who work at universities don't teach, they are administrative assistants, they catalog books in the library, they plan student events, they work with donors, etc.

Unread 07-23-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

What are the answers to the questions in post 2?
What is your undergrad in? Marketing

What would you expect to earn your masters in? Not sure at this point. If I decide to go the higher ed administration route, I'd presume it would be in that. If it were to teach, maybe Marketing or English -- my two favorite subjects.

As far as your final two questions: I'd rather earn less and love my job than make more and be miserable. As long I can cover my expenses and still have some left over for a rainy day, I'm content. I'm the farthest thing from a frivolous spender.

I don't plan on getting a Ph.D. If I were to teach, I would stick to two-year colleges, where you only need a master's degree.

I've also looked into curriculum/academic advising, which I think falls under higher education administration.

Unread 07-23-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
What is your undergrad in? Marketing

I'd rather earn less and love my job than make more and be miserable. As long I can cover my expenses and still have some left over for a rainy day,
For you it may be a tough decision. You have a degree that can earn (possibly quite a bit more) money outside of academia. You might not be "miserable" but but if you are married and have kids and those types of responsibilities, you might have to consider a trade off of more money for less ideal working life.

Unread 07-23-2010, 09:50 AM

I've read that higher education administrators can make some decent green, while professors don't make as much and probably have to spend a lot more on all that education.

Unread 07-23-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I've read that higher education administrators can make some decent green,

I would think these would be the most competitive jobs, requiring the most experience, a butt kicking hard worker, big time leadership skills, etc. Also, someone who is qualified to become a higher education admin, may be able to do much better financially in industry.

Unread 07-23-2010, 10:04 AM

11,743 posts, read 8,452,295 times
Quote:
I would think these would be the most competitive jobs, requiring the most experience, a butt kicking hard worker, big time leadership skills, etc.
Exactly. Do you have any teaching experience, Wordsmith? Your most direct path into working at a university would probably be using the skills you already have, working in the development or public relations departments. You seem to have a rather romantic view of higher education--you need very specialized education and skills to work in academia. They don't just take people in off the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment