Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
That's a poor excuse for responding as curtly as he did. This is one of my biggest pet peeves is that folks justify rudeness because they are having a bad day.
Exactly.

And if he gotten back to the candidates like he said he would in the time frame promised, she wouldn't have had to call in the first place.

The other thing is the window of time is closing for teachers looking for work for this school year. Most schools have to hire within the next couple of weeks and at the latest maybe another month.

Have some common courtesy and tell them you didn't get it so you better keep looking.

Reminds me of the Glenn Frye song "I've Got Mine".

You see them in their limousines
You see the way they stare
They don't see us looking back
Because they don't really care (they say)

I've got mine, I've got mine
The world is as it's meant to be
Cause I've got mine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 06:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Unfortunately one of the first things a job-seeker these days has to develop is a thick skin. Trust me, there are are as many rude and incompetent job-seekers as there are in the hiring ranks. I hope the young lady is successful in her job search very soon.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:11 AM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,012 times
Quote:
Well because down the road they may have an opening and will contact one of these candidates and they won't be interested because of how they were treated.
Well I strongly doubt that not getting applications from these 10 candidates (actually 9, because I assume 1 got the position) will make a big difference in the scheme of things. I know that it's frustrating, but in all honesty, it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

When I have called to check my status (I have only called once, because emails weren't returned, I always email first) the conversation took all of 20 seconds, and it shouldn't take any longer. The HR person/recruiter/interviewer isn't there to give advice on how to do better, they have enough to do.

I honestly don't see what the principal did wrong. It sounds like he told her what she needed to know and didn't feel like getting into a conversation. Saying that you went with the best candidate is a polite way of saying that she didn't get the job. The alternative is, "You really didn't seem as good as everyone else." That's rude.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:12 AM

7 posts, read 11,231 times
1) Calling Back to find out how if the position was filled after X days/weeks (depends on what the manager/HR person told you) is excellent "job search" procedure.
2) Asking what another candidate had or what I was missing that didn't get me the job, again, excellent questions to ask. But, there are HR restrictions on what CAN be said. It never hurts to ask why you didn't get the job.
3) Frequently, in today's economy, there are SO many applicants, that the final round are the lucky ones to get ANY message back at all. If you apply and don't get any indication your application was received, contact the company or manager, or HR.
4) Being curt or impolite is NEVER an excuse. In teaching, you never know when you are going to need a qualified substitute. You never know when someone you interview may be your boss someday.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,168,843 times
companies can do that nowadays. like you said there were 90 candidates. if a position opens later they have more then enough ppl

and since the economy sucks if they call your daughter a few weeks from now and offer her the same shes going to accept it even if they were rude to begin with.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:46 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Default No thank you for applying and then they re-post!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
My best friend's daughter recently graduated college with her teaching degree.

She interviewed 2 weeks ago for a full time position at a school where she did her student teaching last year. Principal chatted with her after the interview and it seemed to go very well.

Over 90 people applied and they only interviewed 10 people. They said they would let everyone know either way.

Well she didn't hear back so she called and the principal curtly told her "they went with the best candidate". He was so rude she didn't bother to ask if he could tell her anything that she could have done different.

You would think a school district could contact the other 9 people and just tell them sorry and good luck.

How hard is it to send an email and say thanks but no thanks, especially since they said they notify all candidates regardless?

Is anyone professional anymore?
What blows me away about Craigslist is when the same company reposts the same job a month later, and then a month later, and then a month....well, you get the idea.
I've had one interview where a contract Human Resources person did the interviewing, said she'd phone to let us know the final three, and then did it! She's probably had some training. It's also the media we're now using.
The constant reposts? They don't know how to hire and keep repeating their mistakes! An ACADEMIC not emailing you back? That's just ignorant.
I received eighty resumes and called ever damn one of them back. It's just courtesy and doesn't take as long as you might think. After all, you could be working with this person for many years. What's that worth?

Old 07-27-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
What blows me away about Craigslist is when the same company reposts the same job a month later, and then a month later, and then a month....well, you get the idea.
I've had one interview where a contract Human Resources person did the interviewing, said she'd phone to let us know the final three, and then did it! She's probably had some training. It's also the media we're now using.
The constant reposts? They don't know how to hire and keep repeating their mistakes! An ACADEMIC not emailing you back? That's just ignorant.
I received eighty resumes and called ever damn one of them back. It's just courtesy and doesn't take as long as you might think. After all, you could be working with this person for many years. What's that worth?
I agree.

Yes it was pretty shocking for an academic not to call back.

For those who don't know you go through many more hoops when trying to get a teaching position. Just to get the interview.

To not let the other candidates know after you said you would is appalling.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:34 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
They may well have more than one of the same position open, ie. several accountants with the same job description, etc.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:08 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I agree.

Yes it was pretty shocking for an academic not to call back.

For those who don't know you go through many more hoops when trying to get a teaching position. Just to get the interview.

To not let the other candidates know after you said you would is appalling.
Shocking for an academic not to call back? Methinks you are living in the dark ages on this one. Unfortunately, true academic professors are a dwindling community. Thanks so much to the many dedicated people who continuously urge and collect contributions from those who have "spare" to support teaching and the arts. Enough said on that score.

What IS your problem here? Has your best friend's daughter recovered from this awful and devastating trauma (which to most posters is really a most trite affair) and is she now seeking alternative employment?

Obviously the job market today is totally alien to that which you know of. What you consider "appalling" is now de rigeur for the most part. For better or for worse and as boring and trite as it seems, best to listen and learn. What you know can very often help the newbies in life understand. All we can do is hope. Cheers!

Old 07-28-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Shocking for an academic not to call back? Methinks you are living in the dark ages on this one. Unfortunately, true academic professors are a dwindling community. Thanks so much to the many dedicated people who continuously urge and collect contributions from those who have "spare" to support teaching and the arts. Enough said on that score.

What IS your problem here? Has your best friend's daughter recovered from this awful and devastating trauma (which to most posters is really a most trite affair) and is she now seeking alternative employment?

Obviously the job market today is totally alien to that which you know of. What you consider "appalling" is now de rigeur for the most part. For better or for worse and as boring and trite as it seems, best to listen and learn. What you know can very often help the newbies in life understand. All we can do is hope. Cheers!
My comments have to do with have far we have fallen as a society.

But that is most likely over your head.

This country is going down the toilet and not just due to the economy.

If you choose to accept that or live like that, that is your problem.

PS. the young lady is doing fine and figures his true colors came out and isn't someone she would want to work under. Especially as a first time teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment