Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 11:59 PM

236 posts, read 595,320 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to work for the City, for example, let's say in City of Richmond Human Resources, if you are not yet a resident of Richmond?

I currently live in Greenville, NC and I'm thinking about applying for a job with the City of Richmond. I don't know how city jobs work, will I be considered even though I'm not a resident?

Most of these jobs ask for an associate degree or bachelor's, but I have a Masters, so I think I stand a good chance.

Can you actually get these jobs on your own merit/work experience or do you have to know the mayor, Congressman, etc?

Am I wasting my time applying?

Anyone with a idea please chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 12:20 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8 View Post
Is it possible to work for the City, for example, let's say in City of Richmond Human Resources, if you are not yet a resident of Richmond?

I currently live in Greenville, NC and I'm thinking about applying for a job with the City of Richmond. I don't know how city jobs work, will I be considered even though I'm not a resident?

Most of these jobs ask for an associate degree or bachelor's, but I have a Masters, so I think I stand a good chance.

Can you actually get these jobs on your own merit/work experience or do you have to know the mayor, Congressman, etc?

Am I wasting my time applying?

Anyone with a idea please chime in.
I don't know about the City of Richmond but I spent 6 years working full-time for a major city without ever residing within the City limits. A large percentage of my colleages at said city also lived in other cities. If you meet the qualifications of the job, then I see no reason why you cannot apply. As someone who once worked in HR for a major city, I cannot emphasize this enough! Make sure you CLEARLY state within your application materials how you meet the MINIMUM qualifications and as much of the desired qualifications as possible. Remember, clerical employees who often know very little about the actual jobs will likely be the first to screen your application. Even if it should be obvious that you meet the minimum quals, state it anyways! Good luck.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:06 AM

39 posts, read 272,277 times
Some cities have a residence requirement, some do not. Most likely the job posting would list residency as a requirement if it is one.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:48 AM

141 posts, read 429,286 times
I agree with the previous poster!!

Some places will tell you others won't but a local is preferred for many reasons.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:41 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Look at the city's website for yourself, and see what they require, instead of expecting us to google it for you.

Where I live, the city government uses a points system, awarded for years of experience, college degree, certifications, disability or veteran status, etc. They award bonus points (5 or 10 out of 100 possible points, I think) for being a resident. But this policy just give preference to residents, they don't prevent non-residents from applying or from being hired. There are many non-resident city employees.

Last edited by kodaka; 08-05-2010 at 09:55 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 09:52 PM

236 posts, read 595,320 times
I have looked at city websites and have applied for some jobs. But for some of the jobs I applied for and didn't get an interview, I'm wondering if there's more to it. For example, I applied for 3 jobs that ask for 4 years experience and a bachelor's degree, I have 8 years experience and a Master's degree and still no call for an interview; one even asked for 3 years and an Associate's degree; one. Just wondering if there's more to it to work for the City.

Last edited by str8; 08-05-2010 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: To add more

Old 08-05-2010, 10:06 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
I wouldn't be so quick to assume the reason you weren't selected for interview was your location, if the ad didn't say residency was a requirement.

It could be any number of factors--maybe funding for the job was put on hold and no one was hired. Maybe you were one of many overqualified people who applied and because of that you still didn't make the cut. Maybe you didn't format your resume properly.

Being a government agency, I would be surprised if they were using criteria that wasn't stated in the job ad, for screening applicants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment