Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 03:31 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times

Advertisements

Economy: Will Middle Class America Ever See A Real Raise Again? - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 05:40 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
I've been thinking back to the 60's when I started working and married.

In those days, PROFESSIONALS (bankers, doctors, lawyers, insurance guys, in other words men in suits) were making money, everyone else really had to scrimp.

Husband at the time and I bought a duplex, so that our housing costs were virtually nothing. Single family home a luxury we could not afford. My parents owned a duplex as well.

Before I married, I was working in our local bank as a secretary to the bank president. I had a lot of responsibility. Wages were $300 month. I could not afford a car, walked to work and relied on friends for transportation when going out. Those friends lived at home. I was renting two rooms, clothes were always hard to afford not to mention as a single person paying to go out a couple of times a week. Never had enough money from one paycheck to the next. Always borrowing $30 from dad - who couldn't afford it, either, to make to the next payday.

We had friends who were making money investing in real estate and my husband had moved up to a a job paying $35,000/year - which was huge money in the 70s. So, we saved like crazy to buy another duplex, and then refinanced to buy another duplex, and then another. Property values went up.

We refinanced again and moved to another much bigger two family townhouse which I own to this day. I live in one side, my son and daughter-in-law rent the other unit from me. No longer own any of the other properties as they had to be sold to support me and my son over the next 30 years when Reaganomics took over. But I wouldn't have dime one today if we had not made those investments in the 70s.

I say all this because I think the "middle class" is pretty much once again the working class these days - not getting by. We are again in times where it is necessary to scrimp and use ingenuity to get ahead. There is cash flow in some real estate these days. Rents have not fallen the way values have so the younger people should consider that. It's a great leg up.

It is not fair that so small a percentage of the population controls most of the money today, but this fact will not change.

This comment from another article in the NYT pretty much spells out the reality:

More Workers Face Pay Cuts, Not Furloughs - Readers' Comments - NYTimes.com

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-06-2010 at 05:50 PM..

Old 08-06-2010, 07:05 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,215 times
Great another pro union shill...

Old 08-06-2010, 07:22 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Who's a pro union shill? One line comments without elaboration are not particularly useful. Ha - never fear, that horse has left the barn. Did you read that link to NYT comment? Corporation options make their choice pretty clear. It won't be the American worker. People in this country need to get back to ingenuity, resourcefulness and figuring it out, and that includes moving to where the jobs are. Relative of mine a lifelong GM employee. When he was forced to transfer, he never thought of quitting - they just moved. We are back to those days but without the corporate paternalism of GM.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:47 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Default Who Moved Our Cheese?

Unless companies start moving our jobs back to the USA, we're going to suffer from lack of employment opportunities.

I've posted it before but here's a list of companies who've sent American jobs overseas...

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/lou....a/content.html

That little book about the Cheese was just too simple for the educated people who believe that outsourcing our jobs is good for our economy.

It's really not that complicated. We have people out of work because there are no jobs here.

Where did our jobs go?

Last edited by World Citizen; 08-07-2010 at 08:56 AM..

Old 08-08-2010, 07:24 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
It is interesting because I guess it is relative to what you do for a living. Most of my peers' wages have increased every year since 2007 (peers are in similar industries and positions). I have more than doubled my salary working for the same company in the past 5 years. Another friend who is a paralegal has done the same with her salary when she moved from teaching to paralegal work.

Now my mother on the other hand works in low skilled customer service work and whereas her job and employment has been steady and consistent-- she is not greatly increasing her earnings based on inflation.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:34 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
It is interesting because I guess it is relative to what you do for a living. Most of my peers' wages have increased every year since 2007 (peers are in similar industries and positions). I have more than doubled my salary working for the same company in the past 5 years. Another friend who is a paralegal has done the same with her salary when she moved from teaching to paralegal work.

Now my mother on the other hand works in low skilled customer service work and whereas her job and employment has been steady and consistent-- she is not greatly increasing her earnings based on inflation.
So could you share what it is you do for a living? It might help others determine their next move if your industry is doing so well.

I know in my state there is no work for paralegals, many are getting laid off. I worked as a Real Estate Title Examiner (basically a real estate paralegal) and of course was laid off.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
So could you share what it is you do for a living? It might help others determine their next move if your industry is doing so well.

I know in my state there is no work for paralegals, many are getting laid off. I worked as a Real Estate Title Examiner (basically a real estate paralegal) and of course was laid off.
Sure.

Project management, business analysis, systems analysis, LEAN practitioners, and Six Sigma Black Belts/ Master Black Belts.

The fields range anywhere from the health care industry (implementation of large health information systems), technology, human resources, financial services, banking, to insurance companies (large scale systems deployments).

Old 08-08-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Sure.

Project management, business analysis, systems analysis, LEAN practitioners, and Six Sigma Black Belts/ Master Black Belts.

The fields range anywhere from the health care industry (implementation of large health information systems), technology, human resources, financial services, banking, to insurance companies (large scale systems deployments).

And if it helps, the paralegals that I know who are doing well work in employment law (more along the lines of workers comp, etc), bankruptcy, and family law.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:56 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Unskilled low wage labor isn't really middle class though. I would expect wage stagnation there. In fact 10 years ago I was making $10/hr as a stock boy at a grocery store (in high school). I would bet it probably pays close to that if not less nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment