Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 04:38 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times

Advertisements

Life is too short for unpaid overtime
It's rarely worth it to be a hero (work 2nd or 3rd shift, excessive travel, etc)
The difference in raises between the guy who busts his butt 50-60 hours a week and the guy who slacks off half the time is a couple percent - big deal - not worth it.
After you've been with the same company a few years, if you can get a 15% raise by moving and most other things are the same - go for it.
Tell them what they want to hear - everyone else does.
Take advantage of monster benefits such as getting a masters degree.
Look out for Number 1.
Companies don't have feelings for you to hurt.
HR isn't there to help you; HR is there to protect the company from you.
Manage your manager.
Add the popular conference rooms to your outlook calendar. Look for meetings at noon - there's a good chance there's a meeting with meal there. Show up around 1 for leftovers for your free lunchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 06:54 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,848,616 times
Always be ready for change. When times are good, don't expect them to stay good forever. Friends leave, changes of management happen, and changes in the marketplace happen.

The person who may not make as much but doesn't have to deal with a lot of stress and negativity is probably better off than the person who makes a lot but has a miserable job.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:00 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
You know, the people I love to work with (or have work for me) are the ones who come to me with a problem, but also have a solution to propose.

I hate it when they just lay the problem at my feet.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:10 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,624,789 times
That multitasking is code for working more for less.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:23 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,339,457 times
Work for yourself but, if you have to work for someone, realize that there are some agencies and corporations that will literally suck the lifeblood out of you in a few years. But if you have to work for an agency or corporation like that, try to retire early and work for yourself.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 PM

803 posts, read 1,667,242 times
• Your colleagues will throw you under the bus to get ahead or avoid getting into trouble.
• Update your resume regularly, you never know when you'll need it.
• Performance reviews are more of a CYA for employers than anything else.
• Don't expect anything to remain confidential. I see and hear things that HR probably thinks I shouldn't.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:58 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Work is a game, play to win. I have never had a boring job because of the competition that I place on the game of work. People are players in the game, they are either on your team or they are your competitors. Those on your team will help you win the game and you will do what is needed to help them win the game. Many times team members forget that and stop playing the game to the best of their ability. That is not your problem but theirs. No need to sweat what others do or don't do. If a team member is not working at an optimum level to help the team succeed then it is time to trade them for someone that will keep the team winning. Sometimes you can't trade them and have to work around their less than commited attitude. That is also part of the game, we have to use the players that are part of our team. Still as many teams have shown, superstars can be part of a team that has less than stellar players. The superstars will always be noticed and for the most part compensated in some way. Still we shouldn't be looking for compensation, that is a reward for playing the game. Your number one focus should always be how can I play this game better and not how can I make more money playing the game. Trust me that will come.

Here is what I have always done;

competed against others. I am the best at what I do. I come in before anyone else on my shift and stay later than anyone else on my shift. I continue to study my field and have joined trade associations, memberships in organizations, and have subscriptions to magazines that are industry focused. I want to know what is happening in the industry before anyone else I know.

Compete against myself. I can do better than I did the day before. If I completed a half dozen projects on one day, I will work on improving that the next day. I always work on improving on myself from the day before and keep a record of what I have accomplished to see my own personal improvement.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:38 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,011,181 times
Don't get caught up in pettiness, complaining and office gossip ... Just focus on your work and don't worry about what others are doing/not doing.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:39 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Most (??) large companies essentially "grade you on a curve". You are ranked. The higher you are ranked, the high merit increase you are likely to get (depending on your existing salary too). With that, sharing productive business information which makes your colleagues more valuable is not in your best interests. You are competing against them.

This is a delicate balancing act. If you teach them everything you know, you bring your value down to the mean. If you withhold and this is made evident, then you are in deep trouble with both your teammates and also with management.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:07 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
1. When you are in the dog house, just start looking for another job. It won't change.
2. Get your work done. Help others with their work, to a point.
3. Don't take hostility from others. Report it to HR, and supervisor. And deal with it directly.
4. Be positive, don't hang out with negative people at work.
5. Appearance counts, a lot at work...have your hair trim, ironed clothes, dress neatly, look good. That is half the battle with people thinking you are smart and productive.
6. Always keep your office clean, and organized. Your office is how people judge you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment