Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 10:20 AM

45,322 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

I used short hand, somewhat. The grant writers are hired at a salary barely above minimum wage ($18-$20K) and told a couple things: "make your salary back in grants or you're gone in 12 months and you get a % of the grants above your salary". Which is why grant writers only last a year or two until they transition to a civil service position with some job protections and seniority.

One of the things about grants is that you can include the cost to obtain the grant in the application. Local governments do that about 99.999999999% of the time in their grants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post

OP - you are getting a crash course
Indeed I am, and for that, I am grateful.

You all are opening my eyes to things I need to expect if I choose this career path.

My boss is receptive to me helping him with writing Grants and RFP's due to my background. That'll take a load off of him workwise. I plan to take up RaleighLass' suggestion to talk with the director of the Grant department as well. Our departments are all under the same umbrella of institutional advancement, so we know of each other.

Another question is an issue of relocation. I currently live in Atlanta, and I will tackle whatever opportunities are here, but I may be moving to the Washington, DC area or the Dallas area in a couple of years. My brother lives in the DC area, and he told me, "Hell, EVERYONE up here is a grant writer!" so obviously, it would be way more competitive for me if I were to move up that way. No surprise, considering the number of nonprofits and government agencies up there.

I do notice that many people who get into grant writing as a career get into it by accident. If I play my cards right, hopefully, I can "accidentally" fall into myself.

Again, thank you for all the advice. Keep it coming!

Old 08-16-2010, 01:00 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I do notice that many people who get into grant writing as a career get into it by accident.
There's hardly anyone in fundraising who wound up there on purpose. In my career I've worked with former teachers, journalists, musicians, salespersons, graphic artists, nurses and fitness trainers.

I showed up for the interview for my first fundraising job and told the development director that writing a grant proposal was a lot like writing a newspaper editorial ... and was hired on the spot. I had no idea what I was doing, and was quite nervous about my ability to do the job, until I discovered everyone else in the department had come from a different career, too.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:58 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Yes, DC is the place! I was actually looking at postings last week, can't remember if it was AFP or Philanthropy Journal(?) but most were in DC. But you will need to get some experience before you go there if you want a livable wage. You should ck out the postings to see what type of experience you feel you need before making the move.

Bear in mind, in some environments you literally just write the grant application and track it, as well as gather statements, supporting documents, etc. But some places, with less staff or just structured differently, you research for grants, pitch it to your team, and then write and track it.

The degree to which you work with or without autonomy/oversight, really depends on the organization. There can be vast differences. And, there are times when you work day and night to get a grant out by the deadline. And some orgs, usually education, you may never get to visit the funder, your boss will be the one to do this with the Vice Chancellor or equivalent. So many variables!

Old 08-16-2010, 02:17 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,828 times
If you're looking to make a decent salary, I'd focus on Proposal Writing. Grant writing pays a small pittance in comparison to Proposal Writing. But, if you're not looking to get into it for the salary, go for it and good luck.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Yes, DC is the place! I was actually looking at postings last week, can't remember if it was AFP or Philanthropy Journal(?) but most were in DC. But you will need to get some experience before you go there if you want a livable wage. You should ck out the postings to see what type of experience you feel you need before making the move.
As much as I like the DC area, I will admit the cost-of-living up there is a huge deterrent to me. I can't deny the opportunities up there for the field I work in now or my possible future field, but I don't want to be up there broke.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
If you're looking to make a decent salary, I'd focus on Proposal Writing. Grant writing pays a small pittance in comparison to Proposal Writing. But, if you're not looking to get into it for the salary, go for it and good luck.
Thanks for the advice. My plan is to eventually become skilled at both

Old 08-17-2010, 02:02 PM

Here ya go, The Foundation Center, most of what you need to know Get Started - Tutorials - Proposal Writing Short Course

Basically there is a full grant request/application (or proposal) and a letter form of request for funding or proposal. The latter is usually first round and then you are invited to apply. Some smaller orgs simply ask for a letter. I've worked with an org that preferred the letter only and then met in person with our board and key staffers.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:33 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
I love technical and business writing, so I think this is a field that interests me, even though I've been a tax accountant for over 3 years, at the age of 26. Only problem is that I would have to take a significant pay cut

Old 08-18-2010, 06:53 PM

The nice thing about this occupation is that you can do it for such varied types of organizations. And, you can work for yourself, from home once you've gained some experience. Or, as long as there is no conflict, you can make extra $$ by taking on clients at night/wknds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment