Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:03 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
As I stated in another thread, if this is the competition I'm up against, I feel pretty good about my odds.
Well not everyone is down at the level some examples mentioned here are. In terms of the job market maybe it'd be better if they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 10:16 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,731 times
The problem is when the people looking at the resumes have the same level of poor writing skills.

At my last job we did a seminar on writing and communication. I was really surprised at the content of the course, a lot of it consisted of very basic grammar and usage that I think most students should have a handle on by the time they reach high school. They had a special section on why you can't use casual "chat-speak" in a professional e-mail the way you would to your buddies. And this was a professional setting where several of the employees had managed to have graduate degrees!

My guess is that most of these job seekers have business degree backgrounds, and from my experience those programs tend to be very weak as far as communication and writing. I think also the focus on standardized testing in the schools over the last decade or so has probably resulted in the average student being less capable overall in that area. I have no idea if young people with a humanities background might have better skill in writing. Sadly, probably not the case.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:29 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
The problem is when the people looking at the resumes have the same level of poor writing skills.

At my last job we did a seminar on writing and communication. I was really surprised at the content of the course, a lot of it consisted of very basic grammar and usage that I think most students should have a handle on by the time they reach high school. They had a special section on why you can't use casual "chat-speak" in a professional e-mail the way you would to your buddies. And this was a professional setting where several of the employees had managed to have graduate degrees!

My guess is that most of these job seekers have business degree backgrounds, and from my experience those programs tend to be very weak as far as communication and writing. I think also the focus on standardized testing in the schools over the last decade or so has probably resulted in the average student being less capable overall in that area. I have no idea if young people with a humanities background might have better skill in writing. Sadly, probably not the case.
This is partly why I believe that Liberal Arts majors should still have a place carved out for them in business. As you mentioned, business programs tend to have weak communication/writing development courses. My friends who have degrees in these areas or in IT or in Engineering, have some of the worst grammar I've seen in a college graduate. On the other hand, my liberal arts friends (who get dissed for their so-called useless degrees), have some of the best writing/communication skills.

Business is business though, and money talks. You could be dumb as rocks, but as long as you have the money or own the rights to a product that people want (ahem...need), I think that's mostly what matters. I've met several business owners in my field (logistics). These people tend to be smooth-talking, charismatic folks with no formal education, who just worked their way up the food chain. They probably couldn't spell or construct a grammatically-correct sentence to save their lives, but they're all making bank and own their own companies.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:41 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
but they're all making bank and own their own companies.
Haha. Nice touch.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:14 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
when i type on here and on other forums i barely use punctuation and because often i type as i think i may also make a stupid mistake like saying "their" instead of "there." and i know my syntax is often poor when i write online. but formal written communication for professional or academic purposes is altogether different and there is no excuse for the quotation you gave above if that is real.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:48 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
They probably have much better computer skills, evens out.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:00 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
when i type on here and on other forums i barely use punctuation and because often i type as i think i may also make a stupid mistake like saying "their" instead of "there." and i know my syntax is often poor when i write online. but formal written communication for professional or academic purposes is altogether different and there is no excuse for the quotation you gave above if that is real.
I always try to write correctly whether on forums, in email or even text messages. Yes, I'm one of those dorks that writes out full sentences with proper punctuation and capitalization in text messages.

This may be a silly example, but I liken it to my boyfriends burp habits. He has the habit of burping rather loudly and obnoxiously in our house, and I warned him that he was going to get so used to it that he would accidentally do it in a public place without realizing it. A few weeks ago he burped ridiculously loud in a restaurant and he was so embarrassed. That's how I see writing properly, if you get used to writing poorly you will continue to write poorly. However, if you always write as correctly as possible, it will soon become second nature and will come far easier to you.

I treat all written communication as professionally as possible because it directly reflects on my intelligence and education. if i typd lyke dis, that would mark me as an idiot to many people...and I just don't want that.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:09 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I always try to write correctly whether on forums, in email or even text messages. Yes, I'm one of those dorks that writes out full sentences with proper punctuation and capitalization in text messages.

This may be a silly example, but I liken it to my boyfriends burp habits. He has the habit of burping rather loudly and obnoxiously in our house, and I warned him that he was going to get so used to it that he would accidentally do it in a public place without realizing it. A few weeks ago he burped ridiculously loud in a restaurant and he was so embarrassed. That's how I see writing properly, if you get used to writing poorly you will continue to write poorly. However, if you always write as correctly as possible, it will soon become second nature and will come far easier to you.

I treat all written communication as professionally as possible because it directly reflects on my intelligence and education. if i typd lyke dis, that would mark me as an idiot to many people...and I just don't want that.
Hmmm, funny, interesting, and a good point all in one. Rep!

Old 08-13-2010, 04:01 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I agree, I'm old enought that I learned to write in HS. I'm also finding down here in the south many grade school and HS teachers do not speak correct english, "if yah cain't speak it how can you right it"

I've done stints as a Tech Writer and have been appalled at some who have advanced degree skill sets. Basic communication includes both written an oral.

I will be the first to admit that I do struggle with spelling due to moderate dyslexia, but that's what spell check is for. I try to leave MS Word open in another window and if a word looks wrong or it's one I struggle with I'll spell check it.

As far as plagiarism goes, too many young people today have not been taught HONOR. They think nothing of stealing info from the 'net because it's so easy and rarely get caught. It makes me sick. I also believe this lack of honor bleeds into the rest of how they live their lives.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:09 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,731 times
I won't say that I give young people a pass on plagiarism, but I can say from personal experience that a lot of high schools do not teach how to properly conduct research and credit sources. So I can see how people can hit college and inadvertently plagiarize when writing a paper, I did it myself when I was a freshman. The prof corrected me and showed me how to do it right and it ceased to be an issue for me.

Of course, there's a big difference between that and wholesale copying and pasting of someone else's material. I don't think someone can honestly say that they didn't know there was something wrong with doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment