U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-14-2010, 05:31 PM

39 posts, read 92,784 times
Default University of Washington Hiring Process

Hi guys,

1) Am trying to get my foot into UW workplace because I like academic environment and diversity. However I have no idea of how they process applications with their online system (selection, interview, etc). Someone here knows something? I tried Glassdoor but no real stuff.

2) Amazon is another target. Who is hired there? And how?

2) KingCounty is another target. Who is hired there? And how?

I have NGO experience and I am taking business classes (Accounting, Statistics) now!

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft_Bulldozer View Post
Hi guys,

1) Am trying to get my foot into UW workplace because I like academic environment and diversity. However I have no idea of how they process applications with their online system (selection, interview, etc). Someone here knows something? I tried Glassdoor but no real stuff.

2) Amazon is another target. Who is hired there? And how?

2) KingCounty is another target. Who is hired there? And how?

I have NGO experience and I am taking business classes (Accounting, Statistics) now!

Thanks!
Now I understand that candidates are signing non-disclosure agreement and no info will be thrown out here. Thanks.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:28 AM

5 posts, read 11,829 times
I worked for UW for several years. Not sure exactly what info you're looking for, but:

1. All applications for their jobs are taken online. All jobs ask for a resume, and some for a cover letter as well.

2. Resumes for Classified Staff (i.e. governed by a labor contract) postings get weeded out by HR first, then HR sends the suitable resumes to the hiring department for them to weed out further, and then call for interviews.

3. Resumes for Professional Staff (i.e. managerial types, exempt from civil service rules) postings are ALL forwarded to the hiring department and not weeded out by HR first. The hiring department does that, and will then call for interviews.

Hope that helps. Maybe add some keywords in your resume; not sure if they cull that way or not.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:49 AM

6,715 posts, read 7,981,881 times
Try to make a connection with someone in the university. I was a finalist candidate for a medium-sized public university before the position was scrubbed and am now a finalist waiting for my last interview to be scheduled at my small, private alma mater. In both cases, my contacts in the university really went to bat for me- making phone calls, scoping out other candidates, and giving advice of what to say in my cover letter (because often a departments' real needs are not clear by the job description).

That's been my angle to try to get into the higher education system. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2010, 11:23 PM

Thanks, Charolastra00, Kusafiri!
Very helpful info. I used to apply online and I realized that every time I applied for Staff position, my resume was not forwarded. When I apply for a Managerial position, it is forwarded. Then, it takes about 3 months before they say "Considered Not Selected". What was happening during these 3 months? Are they interviewing people by order of qualifications or are they just in the selection process? Now, I stop applying for staff position and continue to apply only for Management positions. I hope to get an interview one day. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment