Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 10:54 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Nobody is dictating anything. You need to tone down your attitude seriously. You seem to have some kind of unresolved anger towards employees...job applicants.Do you have some issues?
You seem to believe we are living in an Employer-Dictator world.Employer is God unchallenged. That's total bs.

If an employer asks to see references from my last 10 years for every job, then I know I don't want to work for that employer. He/She is a paranoid control freak. They can do a background check and credit check.That's fine. I am not applying for jobs working for the CIA or FBI. I have letters of reference for many places. I have names and phone numbers. Most reasonable people know that it's impossible to stay in touch (and be remembered) by previous employers that go a while back. People move, die, close up businesses. HR will give the dates of hire and other basic things.

I have never had a paranoid employer be unreasonable regarding references. Again, I don't apply to Fortune500 C-level jobs. Maybe they should have checked Bernie Madoff more thoroughly.
I decide things for myself and live my life my way.And I don't take jobs with bosses who want to look up my a*s with a microscope.
Oh for heaven's sake stop being so dramatic and inflammatory. I've never said anything remotely as militant or angry as you are accusing me of. You have, in this post, but I haven't.

I am simply pointing out the quite obvious fact that I think probably everybody but you is aware of: employers can use whatever information they can legally come up with and tell you what they are doing. If you honestly think that your past employers have fully disclosed to you all of the factors they considered about you and all the other applicants, you are deluded. And merely walking away from an opportunity in reaction to a question posed--hardly puts you in control of the process.

Do I think it's right that employers act like this? Absolutely not. I think most employers are seriously shady and hiring processes are mostly unfair. But I'm not wearing blinders about how it all works either. And I'm advising OP--not you--to consider this when deciding whether or not a 1-week notice is a wise move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 08:21 PM

221 posts, read 799,152 times
No offense to anyone, but I do think some of you are over dramatic. First off, I've had plenty of part time high school jobs where I quit after a day. Was it required to write a formal letter and give 2 weeks notice from my 6 hour a week pizzeria job, um no it wasn't. Now I work in corporate America where it is customary to give notice, at least 2 weeks and certain higher level positions a month or more. If I worked in a horrible env't would I even bother doing this, no I wouldn't. And do I think "Omg I will be blackballed from every hiring organization in my state because I did this"" not really For instance, I know someone who has been job hoppping for the past 20 years, with long periods of being unemployed. Of course, this person has general clerical type positions that don't pay that well, so I'm not saying this is going to work with say a CFO lol. But here she is employed with a company for almost 2 years after quitting, again, with no notice other then a phone call with " I'm leaving" from her last job. I don't think she ever, except for maybe 1 job, even given a 2 week resignation. Like I, and others say, do companies give you two weeks notice when they fire you? No, they don't. There is no loyalty and you are as disposeable to them, as they are to you, hence the "at will" employment phrase.

As far as references..do you know how easy it is to give a telephone number and have a friend, old coworker, relative, whoever answer, say "Yes this is such and such company, yes he worked here, blah, blah." Pretty easy and it's been done before. My company, for example, along with many other large companies, have 800 numbers which you are to give prospective employers where they will only verify titles, dates of employment and maybe salary. So therefore, what my boss or coworkers really thought about me while I was there is null and void. As far as character references, since I come in, do my work, go home and don't discuss my personal life, why would I be using anyone in my workplace as a character reference? Again, there are the "I tell the entire office what I crapped today in the bowl" type so of course their collegues know them on a different level and perhaps could give a reference. But mine don't know me from a hole in the wall. I would think a logical person would much rather check out a long time associate verses someone who sat next to you in cubicle 7 for a year, as a character reference. I will be resigning from my job soon and the last 2 weeks I am there, I could care less about making some "impression" on my boss or coworkers. As far as them not wanting to rehire me, well since I am choosing to LEAVE your company, what makes you think I would ever want to come back? If you asked me what impression any of my former coworkers who left made during their last 2 weeks, I couldn't tell you because I wasn't paying ANY attention

Last edited by Olive1982; 08-21-2010 at 08:40 PM..

Old 08-22-2010, 03:06 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
Olive1982, I love what you said. So absolutely true. I'm tired of people around me where I am telling me that it's a recession....bla bla.."you should have stayed..."...."given him 2 weeks notice..." "don't burn bridges..." and bla and bla and bla. There is NO bridge to burn. Where's the guarantee that they WOULD have given a good reference at all, even after me giving him 2 weeks notice? The wife was a sociopath. As far as rehire, they could offer me 100K and I would still refuse, because that's how bad it was for me.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:39 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,446 times
A few years back several people at my job found out we were getting axed
by the end of the month (over a dozen of us altogether).
This was just before the economy crashed so decent jobs were still out there.
By chance most of us found jobs well before the blade fell and left within the
same two or three day period.
Many of us gave a week's notice while still others quit immediately.
Our previous employer cried that were jumping ship before the
lower paid newbies came in to take over.
Oh well...when you make yer bed you hafta lay in it too...

Old 10-06-2015, 05:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,024 times
Hi
I know someone who has given their one week notice and hasn't gone in that week to do the 1 week notice as she was getting ready for her new job? Is this bad?

Old 10-06-2015, 08:24 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
It all depends on your situation. If you have a a great opportunity that requires you to start the following week, then so be it.

I've seen companies let people go at the end of the workday on a Friday with no advanced warning knowing full well weeks in advance that they would be letting them go.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:41 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
One week is not ideal, but if that is what is needed to get the next job than so be it.

You always have to do what is best for yourself, everyone else is looking out for themselves, so should you.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:30 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,896 times
I once gave a two day notice - because I had an opportunity to move out of state to a place that I really wanted to go. At the time, my employer was having to consider layoffs because we lost a lot of clients. The HR director suggested that I write a letter to the owners about the situation, so I did and they were cool with it and wished me the best of luck - I was also rehirable.

Then at another job, I gave two weeks notice and found the next day that my badge wouldn't work on the door and all my stuff was handed to me. Thankfully the new job I was starting allowed me to come in a week earlier than I'd planned.

So it really depends on the employer and the situation.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,693 times
I am giving my job my one week notice tomorrow just because I have tons of medical appointments for my daughter and myself and they have not been so understanding or kind about what time I get back from my appointments. My husband serves our country in the military. I can't control how long the military doctors take to see me and I always go to work afterwards but they call and leave me messages asking me where I am and why my appointments are taking so long....my daughter will always come first over a job and it's just stressful to go in to work and be treated poorly because the managers had to do extra work while I was at my appointment.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:47 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperblack View Post
I need to give my notice at work and I wanted to confirm that one week is allowed. I feel terrible and awful, but, it has to be done. Is a verbal ok>
No, you must send the typed (Double spaced) letter of resignation to the CEO, CFO, AFD, CBO, RFD and the henweigh and be exact when and what time the letter becomes effective... But don't be telling them "They suck" in it...Bad move there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment