Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:21 PM

470 posts, read 1,036,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Hey Spokanejobseeker,

Yes, twenty-somethings face a tough time too, in today's job market. Still, if you were 48, you'd find the job market, that much harder. Age discrimination is very real, no matter how you slice it. I know that I'd much rather be in my twenties, and looking for a job, than my age (51)!

I think the 40 and up crowd are finding it hard to understand why they might be getting deemed over qualified by employers. There have been two very good points made by myself and another poster on why you are being passed over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 03:43 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,047 times
Hey Spokanejobseeker,

You're NOT over 40, and can't relate to what an older job-seeker, has to contend with. So I think that your suggestions, are irrelevant. I'd like to hear from someone, who is actually over 40, and has actually faced age discrimination, in the job market.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:59 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Hey Spokanejobseeker,

You're NOT over 40, and can't relate to what an older job-seeker, has to contend with. So I think that your suggestions, are irrelevant. I'd like to hear from someone, who is actually over 40, and has actually faced age discrimination, in the job market.
Spokanejobseeker's Generation Y arrogance is not surprising. It is so typical of that generation. On the flip side, there are plenty of places and industries that discriminate against GenY. I have had several interviewers tell me why they don't like to hire GenY and I don't blame the. For the attitude that they exhibit I wouldn't want to hire them either. I meet plenty of people in their 40s in New York City who are just as computer savvy and "wonderful" minus the arrogance and lack of work ethics. Hey, they don't like us? Too bad, they need to get over it. WE DON'T LIKE THEM. WE WERE HERE FIRST SO DEAL WITH US. AND WERE' NOT GOING AWAY.

By the way, I'm not in my 40's, 50s or 60s. I'm Generation X.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Spokanejobseeker's Generation Y arrogance is not surprising. It is so typical of that generation. On the flip side, there are plenty of places and industries that discriminate against GenY. I have had several interviewers tell me why they don't like to hire GenY and I don't blame the. For the attitude that they exhibit I wouldn't want to hire them either. I meet plenty of people in their 40s in New York City who are just as computer savvy and "wonderful" minus the arrogance and lack of work ethics. Hey, they don't like us? Too bad, they need to get over it. WE DON'T LIKE THEM. WE WERE HERE FIRST SO DEAL WITH US. AND WERE' NOT GOING AWAY.

By the way, I'm not in my 40's, 50s or 60s. I'm Generation X.

I call humping the mountains in Afghanistan with 60 plus lbs of gear for 16 hours a day work ethic, but again you probably know nothing about that.
It doesn't matter if Gen X doesn't go away the Baby Boomers are very soon and like them we are going to overrun the workforce with our shear numbers.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:34 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Default Alrighty then...

Boy, I could only read the first 2 pages of replies before jumping in w/my take. I'm considered an 'older' worker. However, gotta tell ya... I run circles around my 'younger' coworkers.that is the ones that bother to show up for work. Attire? Hoodies? Jeans? Midriffs? Won't even get into the piercings and 'color of the week' hair styles. Mine is consistent...Just 4 Men / med brown. To say nothing of the lack of experience and professionalism at every turn. I don't get it. Always...and I mean always walking in late if at all...w/no apology or even an acknoledgement that they may be inconveniencing anyone. There is an air of arrogance that is beyond belief. Maybe I'm lucky. Maybe I'm blessed. Maybe I'm just qualified for the position, have excellent references, have a great attitude and pass my drug tests, huh? I know...new generation. This, too, shall pass...
K

Old 10-27-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
I call humping the mountains in Afghanistan with 60 plus lbs of gear for 16 hours a day work ethic, but again you probably know nothing about that.
It doesn't matter if Gen X doesn't go away the Baby Boomers are very soon and like them we are going to overrun the workforce with our shear numbers.
bla bla..and the arrogance continues...not surprising.I sure as hell don't see your "shear numbers" here where I am. And I will be waiting. You're really scaring me here...shear numbers..OMG!!!!!!!
You are incredibly hysterical.Go ahead say something intelligent for a change.
I am still rolling on the floor laughing at you..OMG. Afghanistan?? Is he for real? What does he want the purple heart medal? The Nobel? You think you're the only one? As GenY discussing the issues that BBoomers are facing, you have no credibility here.People are laughing at you. Go text to your friend in Starbucks.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:48 PM

People, it's THOSE SHEAR NUMBERS that we have to be afraid of....!!! Let's prepare now or else.....
What are their weapons, texting, the booze bottle and pills, incorrect English, no grammar skills, bad attire - bad beyond belief....those piercings and tattoos..

Seriously, I interview at places that I know for a fact don't employ GenY. Places where GenY "is too good" to work at. That's where I am going. So I don't know what shear numbers he's talking about.He needs to get out of the Glee mentality and the Survivor show mentality.
I am still laughing folks...

Old 10-27-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
People, it's THOSE SHEAR NUMBERS that we have to be afraid of....!!! Let's prepare now or else.....
What are their weapons, texting, the booze bottle and pills, incorrect English, no grammar skills, bad attire - bad beyond belief....those piercings and tattoos..

Seriously, I interview at places that I know for a fact don't employ GenY. Places where GenY "is too good" to work at. That's where I am going. So I don't know what shear numbers he's talking about.He needs to get out of the Glee mentality and the Survivor show mentality.
And yet you are still unemployed. Not every member of Gen Y is lazy and has no work ethic. Gen Y is only second to the Baby Boomers in terms of numbers. When the Boomers die and retire in large numbers in the next five years it will be Gen Y that takes over. If you don't want to respect those of us under 30 that have served or are still serving this country in its longest standing war then I'll give you some other experiences that I have had. I'm 28 and have worked 77 hours plus a week at a car dealership for a period of six months just to make ends meet. I currently am pursuing my MBA and I also work 80 hours a week on my own business and that does not include attending trade shows every weekend across the country. For six weeks starting at the end of July I took a tour in the Democratic Republic of Congo as a private contractor to train their light infantry units.

I like many other members of Gen Y am clean cut, have no tattoos, piercings, or anything else that might be seen as not professional. I see nothing wrong with tattoos or piercings myself though. I am arrogant, confident, audacious, and unapolegetically American.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:

Oh and I speak French fluently

Vous êtes peu un pric dirigé par goupille. J'aurais plaisir complètement à donner un coup de pied votre modèle hippy de garde forestier d'âne

Old 10-27-2010, 05:39 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Default Lolol...

I got all ready for work the other day and as I was walking out the door I asked my S/O if 'I looked old'...I was told...'No..you look groomed'! Whatever that meant...Made me giggle. I remember when I was 12 and my dad yanked into the house on a Saturday morning because I hadn't showered or combed my hair...taught me an invaluable lesson. I know, off topic but I had to share it.

Last edited by Koale; 10-27-2010 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment