Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 04:21 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

I am a 26 year old tax accountant with 3 years of experience in this field and I simply cannot stand it anymore. I have a bachelor's in business administration and a master's in accounting. While I was in college, I found the accounting subject to be interesting, but in the real world it's just a pain in the arse and not what I thought it would be. To this day, I have only received average evaluations and I'm still often confused and frustrated 50% of the time with not knowing what the hell I'm doing. I started out at 22 years old making $52K and now I'm making $65K here in metro Hartford, CT. I just don't feel like my career is progressing like it should be; I feel like an empty suit.

While I was in college, I was very optimistic about my future and now I'm working at my 3rd job since graduation and not seeing any real progression. I'm still a staff and have never been promoted once. My resume is fabulous and I am a very good interviewer, but I feel like I am only average on the job. Honestly, I don't like what I do.

In addition to this, I am truly disgusted with the corporate environment. Everyone steps on each other's toes, takes credit for other people's work, some people snitch on each other, act extremely phony, and a whole host of other drama that I'm sick and tired of seeing on a day to day basis. Plus, I always seem to get stuck working for a micromanager. I hate it. And making $65K doesn't even seem to be enough these days, in central CT.

This is not the career I envisioned while I was an optimistic college kid with high hopes for the future. What am I supposed to do to resolve this problem?

I thought of a few possible solutions, but I worry about their practicality. Here they are:
  • Make a major career change. This seems extremely difficult to do in this economy, where there are numerous well qualified people in fields other than accounting. I would have no chance, and most other fields have far less demand than accounting does.
  • Make a minor career change. Although I have been in tax accounting my whole career, my college degrees should be sufficient for going into another business or accounting related field. But, other business/accounting fields don't really interest me much.
  • Stay in tax accounting and hope things improve. At this point, it just seems rather bleak. Although I have 3 years of experience, I only feel like I have a legit 1-2 years of experience. My theory is that passion leads to motivation, and motivation leads to success. The problem with this is that I lack passion for tax accounting. The only reason I entered it is because in college there is a big push for accounting students to go into the "Big 4" firms that specialize in tax or audit services only.
Any other suggestions?
Also, my thing is...I don't really care to make a lot of money. I am happy living with a middle class income. This is one of the reasons I lack motivation. I grew up in a wealthy family, lived in a huge house, had vacation homes, a boat, etc, and let me tell you....it's overrated and doesn't guarantee happiness. Plus, I am gay and don't plan on having kids, ever, so there would be no one to support but me. I just don't see the rewards in trying to excel so much and being promoted to a higher position with more stress and responsibility. Everyday I see the seniors and managers and think to myself, "jesus...i don't ever want to be in their shoes." I mean, what does promotion bring, really? More money? Big whoop. I really dont care for having a nicer car and big house. Already lived that lifestyle growing up and it's overrated.

Last edited by nep321; 08-18-2010 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 04:42 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Normally, I'm relatively vanilla in my comments, but not today.

No.1 - "career progressing" ?!!! WTF - Have you looked outside lately? You are young, you have had a very nice income increase in the past three years. Be grateful you are gainfully employed.

No.2 - The corporate environment pretty much sucks everywhere. Everyone is looking over their shoulder. The impersonality of the workplace has taken over. Suck it up and live with it.

No. 3 - Passion - that is true - it is also very idealistic and unrealistic generally speaking - and especially now.

My advice to you - and I am very old - is be VERY GRATEFUL you have a decent job at a relatively decent salary for your years and where you live - and BE PATIENT. Rome wasn't built in a day. Career path, career track, career progression - just like our economy - right now they're in a recession. Ye gads.

All that off my chest, you might be happier in a smaller workplace. However, oftentimes those are not very stable or well paying - and then, again, the opposite could be true. To satisfy yourself, look around a bit - but now is not the time to be taking any risks - unless you really don't need your salary. Meanwhile, appreciate what you have. There are many who want your job.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:43 PM

364 posts, read 1,080,542 times
Honestly, making 65K after only 3 years is pretty darn good. No one is just gonna pay you 100K a year with minimal experience. Accounting is a field that doesn't pay extremely high anyway unless you have Big 4 experience behind you. My advice:
-If you are mad because of your pay, don't be. You're progressing fine financially. Put in another couple of years and you could be a manager.
-If you are mad because you hate the line of work you're in, then consider leaving. Just remember, you're not going to start at 60K +, especially in this economy. Starting in a new career will probably only start you at or around 40K, unless you go back to school and get a new background such as Engineering, Nursing, etc. In that case, you have to figure out what you truly want to do in life.
-As for Corporate America, I agree. However, I've talked to friends in other fields and this happens everywhere. Teaching, Nursing, Law Enforcement, Corporate America, etc. All the same. Welcome to the workforce. This stuff happens daily. You'd have to start your own business to escape this.

Ever think about starting your own tax/accounting practice?

Old 08-18-2010, 04:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
your attitude is having a enormous effect on your experience. despite your great credentials you are seeing those around you as demons. do you see less qualified people passing you up frequently???
1/2 the job is tech, 1/2 the job is people.
you need to work on part 2.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:51 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,798 times
My mom was in a similar position. She only had her B.S. in Accounting, but she also had her CPA. Long hours, petty office drama, loads of bull**** to deal with, etc.. She would just come home and collapse on the couch at the end of every day. 60 hours a week was normal. Then she quit. She seems a lot happier now. But, she also inherited money so she doesn't have to work. You only belong in accounting if you REALLY want to be there. If you don't then it's hell.

I dunno man...tough call. This economy sucks and you have to eat. So, I wouldn't quit just yet if I were you. I was trained to be an electrician and I despised it. I am headed out to Cali to get involved in the medical marijuana industry I think. I'm going to hang out on the beach a lot too. Screw ripping up my hands in a trade or sitting behind a desk for the next forty years. That stuff sucks. Life is too short to do stuff you hate.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
your attitude is having a enormous effect on your experience. despite your great credentials you are seeing those around you as demons. do you see less qualified people passing you up frequently???
1/2 the job is tech, 1/2 the job is people.
you need to work on part 2.
This is so funny. OP has only been working for 3 years. Who is passing him up? People who've been in that workplace longer than him - no surprise there - no doubt most of his coworkers have been there longer than he has. hahaha Casting no snark on your comments, huckleberry - just making an observation. The OP is just a bit young, yet. Ready to conquer the world - except these days, the world ain't that anxious.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:00 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Well my thing is...I don't really care to make a lot of money. I am happy living with a middle class income. This is one of the reasons I lack motivation. I grew up in a wealthy family, lived in a huge house, had vacation homes, a boat, etc, and let me tell you....it's overrated and doesn't guarantee happiness. Plus, I am gay and don't plan on having kids, ever, so there would be no one to support but me. I just don't see the rewards in trying to excel so much and being promoted to a higher position with more stress and responsibility. Everyday I see the seniors and managers and think to myself, "jesus...i don't ever want to be in their shoes." I mean, what does promotion bring, really? More money? Big whoop. I really dont care for having a nicer car and big house. Already lived that lifestyle growing up and it's overrated.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:06 PM

That's the thing about growing up with money - it makes you less hungry - and appreciative of good things when you have them because it has all come so easily.

If money is not an issue for you, then quit and try to find something you enjoy. Someone else who really needs that job is standing right behind you with wife and kids to feed.

It is my observation gays often do very well in the arts - decorating, fashion, sales in high end areas. You may be stifling a creative talent. Have you explored anything in those arenas?

Old 08-18-2010, 05:09 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,488 times
Your first paragraph indicates that you have gotten "average evaluations" and are still "confused and frustrated" and not sure at times what "the hell [you] are doing." I would venture to say that these things are noticed and an impediment to gaining a promotion.

On the other hand for someone your age, you are doing very well! In this economy, be thankful.

Hang in there.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:15 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
On the other hand for someone your age, you are doing very well! In this economy, be thankful.

Hang in there.
Be thankful to have a soul-crushing job that makes him hate his life?

Mr. Flamer accountant dude...find something that you LIKE TO DO - a passion. If you have that then you will never work a day in your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment