U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:51 AM

460 posts, read 1,756,030 times
Default Buying a delivery route such as Fedex and others?

Can anyone who knows about buying a delivery route + truck give me a heads up on the risks/rewards of doing this and suggest anything good out there. I'm not interested in hot dog/lunch truck/ good humor routes but curious about delivery routes for like Fedex etc etc.

Jus to give a little insight as to why I ask is I'm THINKING about going to school to get a CDL-A license and not sure if I'd actually go OTR or drive locally or even just drive a straight job locally. The only thing I know is I really like to drive + can maintain a vehicle and curious about these delivery route options. I'm not really concerned about which would make the most money because I'm not looking to get rich but just earn some decent money. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 08:24 AM

4,806 posts, read 11,606,986 times
Fedex and UPS aren't franchises. Their routes aren't sold or bought. Their drivers are employees that are assigned a route. The route is determined by corporate (and computers), not by the driver.

And the drivers, at either Fedex or other companies, don't maintain their own vehicles or equipment. That is a separate job. The drivers just drive.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:42 AM

287 posts, read 505,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Fedex and UPS aren't franchises. Their routes aren't sold or bought. Their drivers are employees that are assigned a route. The route is determined by corporate (and computers), not by the driver.

And the drivers, at either Fedex or other companies, don't maintain their own vehicles or equipment. That is a separate job. The drivers just drive.
Fedex offers routes to buy. I know a guy who owns 2 routes and makes 6 figures. You get paid by the packages you deliver. It's a very hustle oriented job. You get paid by how hard you hustle and work in all types of weather. A lot of bakeries offer this as well.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:59 PM

6,299 posts, read 10,001,285 times
FedEx delivery drivers are contractors, not exactly sure how it works but I know there are a lot of negatives. If they were that lucrative no one would be selling.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:42 PM

460 posts, read 1,756,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
Fedex offers routes to buy. I know a guy who owns 2 routes and makes 6 figures. You get paid by the packages you deliver. It's a very hustle oriented job. You get paid by how hard you hustle and work in all types of weather. A lot of bakeries offer this as well.

Yeah I could go for a bakery route working early morning hours

Old 08-20-2010, 01:16 AM

2,651 posts, read 7,103,456 times
Fedex air delivery drivers are direct employees of Fedex. Fedex ground delivery drivers are independent contractors who buy their own trucks, buy their own gas and and insurance, and deliver Fedex packages exactly as the company tells them to do. They get paid per delivered parcel.

Fedex ground is the old RPS. Fedex bought them out about 10 years ago and made them a subcontracted service to Fedex air delivery.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:23 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,627,183 times
Sometimes a city on the Craigslist jobs section has a FedEx drivers needed post...or a route for sale. But I don't see it often. Do a random "search" for FedEx under certain CL cities.

In the good economy, somebody told me his friend has a route of several trucks and does very well (as a previous poster noted).

Seems like too much hustle and stress to delivery too many packages in hard-to-park urban areas.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:15 AM

6,351 posts, read 13,026,577 times
The constant in-and-out of the truck as you deliver packages might be hard on the muscles and joints after a few years. Working as an "independent contractor" means you do everything that an employee does except they don't have to pay the the benefits that they would otherwise have to pay an employee. (Sure, you're an "independent contractor" but ya gotta wear OUR uniforms and ya gotta paint your trucks to OUR specs...) And just try to use your Fedex truck in a side business on your off days...

FWIW, I have talked to lease operators who make good money leasing to FedEx. But most of the CDL-A truck drivers who drive for them, do no better than working for any other large truckload carrier. And most get no benefits from the guy they drive for.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:31 AM

1 posts, read 33,593 times
lots of wrong info's on here about FedEx Ground contractor model, let me clarify.
Ic's are not employees of FedEx. They are business owners who work and operate a small trucking company. You must be incorporated before purchasing a route. You get paid by stops you make daily and pieces of packages you deliver. You get paid $$ for truck availability, more than half of your weekly fuel purchase and any extra services you provide like handling COD's and more.
You are responsible to maintain your trucks, and tires. That is why it make sense to always drive a new truck for three years and turn it in for a new truck. Truck payments are tax deductible also new trucks are reliable.
if you get a chance to buy a route, go for it. FedEx ground contractor model is very rewarding but remember this job is not for everyone, make sure you spend good amount of time with the seller on his/her route to see if you can handle it.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:09 AM

1,096 posts, read 2,387,205 times
I have heard about fedex selling routes but in my area al the drivers work for fedex and arent independent. I've wondered about this myself, I'm wonderin gif the 18 wheeler drivers are the indepenendent ones and the box truck guys all work for fedex.

Think about how strict ups is about facial hair, how you conduct yourself, etc. You really think fedex is going to let 100 different 1099 employees all have free reign to essentially run their business how they choose to?

Personally I dont think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment