Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:47 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times

Advertisements

Given a situation where you were offered two nearly identical jobs (front desk), with comparable/essentially the same rates of pay... one for Marriott International and the other for Hilton Doubletree... which would you choose? Has anyone here worked for one or the other or--even better--both at some point or another?

Also, assume both are for corporate owned & managed (not franchised) properties. Both are large, upscale hotels with a mostly business clientele. Both are for a full-time position with benefits. Hilton offers benefits after 90 days of employment, and I'm unsure of Marriott's benefits package.

I know it's hard to say without more specific info, but anything someone may have would be helpful.

Last edited by thepinksquid; 08-19-2010 at 07:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 06:19 PM

164 posts, read 838,135 times
I think I'm your perfect candidate! I can give my own personal experience, and it's frighteningly related to your question, right down to the position. I'm a front desk manager for a Marriott property, and have been with the company for almost 9 years at three different properties. With the exception of 6 months about a year ago....

I was offered a position with a Hilton property which I accepted, but I found Hilton (at least the property I worked at) to be a little more "stuffy" if that makes sense. I ended up returning to Marriott when my former manager asked me to come back....

Marriott's benefits package is substantially the same as Hilton's, so with that being said, and all other things being equal, I'd choose Marriott.

Of course your mileage may vary..... :-)

Old 08-20-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineF View Post
I think I'm your perfect candidate! I can give my own personal experience, and it's frighteningly related to your question, right down to the position. I'm a front desk manager for a Marriott property, and have been with the company for almost 9 years at three different properties. With the exception of 6 months about a year ago....

I was offered a position with a Hilton property which I accepted, but I found Hilton (at least the property I worked at) to be a little more "stuffy" if that makes sense. I ended up returning to Marriott when my former manager asked me to come back....

Marriott's benefits package is substantially the same as Hilton's, so with that being said, and all other things being equal, I'd choose Marriott.

Of course your mileage may vary..... :-)
Thank you so much!! It's funny--I had an opposite feeling--it seemed to me that the particular Marriott was more 'stuffy' feeling than the Doubletree.

So far, the Doubletree has made me an offer, and the Marriott is supposed to get back to me Monday if I got the job or not. I'm leaning towards the former...also because it's all of 3 minutes from my house, too.

Thanks again for the input!!

Old 08-21-2010, 06:12 AM

1 posts, read 68,958 times
I work in corporate management for a management development company that owns several franchised properties under both the Marriott and Hilton umbrellas of hotels. In my personal experience, I find Marriott corporate generally more astute and conducive to helping do my job (e-commerce management). However, on the property level as a front-desk clerk it will probably really come down to the property itself and the quality of your co-workers. If benefits etc are more or less equal and you feel that the Doubletree would be a better environment, I would certainly go with your gut feeling.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:40 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
It depends a LOT on the location and management of each hotel - I've found both Hilton and Marriott feel they're "high end" - especially prevalent in downtown and/or airport areas where they have a lot more "tourists" rather than domestic travellers.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:29 AM

Thanks so much for the info! Yeah...I'm just taking this as a second job so I just wanted any input that I could find. Appreciate it.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:39 AM

Well... Marriott offered me quite a bit more money, so they won!

Old 08-25-2010, 03:38 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Well... Marriott offered me quite a bit more money, so they won!
more $ is always good - enjoy

Old 09-05-2010, 03:30 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Another Marriott bonus - have only worked Marriott not Hilton - is we provide free meals and for management in the city we pay for your parking. Also get discounted laundry service and if you're Executive level it's comp'd.

That said, my property does feel a bit stuffy as a guest and we've certainly got our fair share of hotel drama, but I'd say a good 95% of the staff here is wonderful and we get together outside of work as well. It's a fun, family atmosphere with the exception of the last 5% that just about push you over the edge. Ugh! But you've got people like that at every single property you'll be at.

Good luck! If you work hard I do know you'll go places in Marriott. They're very good about promoting from within!

Old 09-21-2012, 06:12 PM

4 posts, read 77,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Given a situation where you were offered two nearly identical jobs (front desk), with comparable/essentially the same rates of pay... one for Marriott International and the other for Hilton Doubletree... which would you choose? Has anyone here worked for one or the other or--even better--both at some point or another?

Also, assume both are for corporate owned & managed (not franchised) properties. Both are large, upscale hotels with a mostly business clientele. Both are for a full-time position with benefits. Hilton offers benefits after 90 days of employment, and I'm unsure of Marriott's benefits package.

I know it's hard to say without more specific info, but anything someone may have would be helpful.
Does anyone know if you work fora franchised Marriott or Hilton can you transfer to a corporate owned Marriott or Hilton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment