U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 02:27 PM

2,400 posts, read 2,562,639 times
Default Getting a job in another state....how?

Here is the situation...Currently an Executive Assistant.....Single/no kids..Looking to relocate to another state...Why you ask?...I reside in the city/state that I was born and bred in.....Been there done that to everything.....My question is how do I make myself a viable candidate in a 'down economy' to potential employers in the state that I would love to relocate to.? Kind of hard competing with candidates that are all ready local.....Any tips or suggestions are welcomed to help me succeed/stand out to potential employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 03:18 PM

7,373 posts, read 6,846,391 times
Bite the bullet and just move now while your risk is low. No one is going to recruit an out-of-state candidate for an admin job.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:34 PM

5,672 posts, read 9,960,389 times
Right! The only jobs that I've known that recruit from out-of-State is for a CEO, CFO......high ranking jobs like that.
Your single, no kids.......go for it, MOVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Bite the bullet and just move now while your risk is low. No one is going to recruit an out-of-state candidate for an admin job.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:05 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,837,625 times
That's not true. I have gotten a few out of state interviews. I am not applying to be an executive, these are all entry level positions.

Yes, I believe I get passed up for many that I wouldn't normally, but there is one thing that helps me. I don't put my home address on my resume, I just list my email and phone number. Onglet is dead wrong, just be clear when you get phone screenings that you intend on relocating, and that you are willing to do this all at your expense.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:26 PM

311 posts, read 510,998 times
I work in the recruiting field, and while this is purely anecdotal, one of the things I was told to do for one project was go into the HRIS system and disposition (well, disqualify) anyone who had an address from outside the local area. I would say move if you have the money saved up. We have hired people from outside the area but they were highly sought after hard to fill positions.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:52 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,837,625 times
What will it take for you to believe me? The emails that I got setting up the interview times with the headers?

Come on, it's a Catch-22 for me. Either I give up my personal name, email, and the person who I interviewed with... Or I'm a liar.

-----

Ah, at any rate, it's possible, I won't say it's easy at all. I do believe that most companies will disqualify you right away, even if they would normally bring you in, but all it takes is one.

If you've got the right experience, and are the type of person that they want, you'll get a job where you want. I know it's a matter of time for me. I did well in school, have extraordinary sales numbers at my current position (top 10% of my company), and more leadership experience than most under 30. That translates well into my field. If you've got the skills and proof that you are great for what you do, you'll get calls.

One thing that's been a nuisance is that it can get very costly, most don't care that you are out of town. A couple weeks back I got the call that they wanted me in within 3 days for an interview... Which meant hotels cost more.

Question for personalensign: What did you do for people who had no address on their resume? Because since I removed my Buffalo address I have seen a little more activity.

Don't let the negativity here get you down. Some people are just jealous that they are unable to take the extra steps that they need to succeed. You'll be fine.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:03 AM

2,400 posts, read 2,562,639 times
So you're saying someone in my current position would be best to move as opposed to sending out resumes/cover letter for positions in other states.......Dont want to waste my time spinning my wheels...Really need some clarification here.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:09 PM

7,583 posts, read 13,357,513 times
There's yet another way to do this. Provided you are willing to show up for interviews. It's not honest but it's no more dishonest than most employers are these days.

I assume you know someone where you want to move. Use their address for your resume and get a local cell number. Voila, you're local.

I think what the others were trying to tell you is most companies aren't going to hire out of state for admin/secretarial positions. There are too many local qualified applicants.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:39 PM

867 posts, read 753,500 times
I didn't think cell numbers mattered since they move with you?

Old 08-23-2010, 07:49 PM

56 posts, read 151,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Here is the situation...Currently an Executive Assistant.....Single/no kids..Looking to relocate to another state...Why you ask?...I reside in the city/state that I was born and bred in.....Been there done that to everything.....My question is how do I make myself a viable candidate in a 'down economy' to potential employers in the state that I would love to relocate to.? Kind of hard competing with candidates that are all ready local.....Any tips or suggestions are welcomed to help me succeed/stand out to potential employers.
I relocated a little less than a year ago for pretty much the same reason as you. The only way you are going to get out of state calls right now is if you have very specific skills that not a whole lot of other people have. I would do everything you can to make your resume, and especially cover letters, shine to potential employers.

Single/no kids is def. in your favor, but boy it's going to be hard right now. It may take a while, but keep trying. Where are you looking to move by the way? Some areas will be easier than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment