Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 12:28 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
That' like comparing apples and oranges. You can avoid a nasty family member/move farther away, divorce a spouse or never see them (have an affair), and get rid of the boy/girlfriend.Besides, none of the above are paying you a salary and providing benefits. But you are stuck with a nightmare boss while you work for them. That person can make your life such hell that you don't even have the time, energy and money to look for work and interview. That is what my previous boss did to me, so quitting was physically the only solution. There is a difference between bullying and consistently tormenting someone. Maybe one can call it aggravated bullying? Legally it would be known as aggravated harassment. Outside of the workplace it's a serious thing and anytime the cops plug your name into the computer, this charge comes up: bang, like a shot.So why is it that in the workplace it's justified because you're paid money? That's like saying it's ok to torment as one is being paid for it. I find that sick.
As employees, we have to begin to stand up to this.
People bully, but since it's not somebody close, it should not be of any consequence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 06:21 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
People bully, but since it's not somebody close, it should not be of any consequence.
Yeah because when a person is bullied, they should just take it no matter what the bully doles out, even if it causes physical harm

Old 10-25-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Why should it matter? Because a sociopathic bully came after me and ruined me in my job! I won't get into details, but let's just say I got even. He was told that if he did one more thing wrong, he'd be gone. Didn't help me at all, though, as it just traumatized me for years.

Ah well, this is the same guy who married a beautiful and RICH woman, had a baby with her, cheated on her shortly after they married, and of course this meant no full time custody of his lovely daughter. I just really hope his wife protected herself financially and that he didn't get one dime!

Having said this, I've worked for both men and women and I'll take a man over a woman ANY day of the week. Women get into their power/ego/bitchy/cattiness and it's a nightmare to be around.
I agree.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:27 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Women get into their power/ego/bitchy/cattiness and it's a nightmare to be around.
You don't have to act like that. It's a choice.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:18 PM

Yes, it is a choice when someone chooses to be mean for the hell of it. Yet those are the very ones that remain at jobs for very long periods of time. But many do get the ax at some point when someone finally says "enough"

Old 10-25-2010, 02:57 PM

850 posts, read 1,546,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive1982 View Post
Has anyone experienced this, especially how some female coworkers are to other female coworkers. I will be leaving the corporate world and leaving my current job (THANK GOD) in a few weeks, and after this experience I would NEVER work in a large type office setting again, as it's just not for me. I have no problems interacting with other females in general, I am not threatend by other women, wether it be because I think they are going to steal my job, or are pretty or whatever, but oddly enough at this place, even though I never fit it and am not part of the "clique" I found it much easier interacting with the older females and even some of my male coworkers verses the female ones who were around my age. When I past someone in the hallway, I always say hello or at least give a smile. Two women in particular, since I started, and this was years ago, I would overhere them glaring my way and talking about me. It was kind of obvious. One would make a comment about how I wore my hair, the other about the shirt I had on, and this was after maybe my second week there so nothing offensive was none on my part. These were two nerdy, always wining about how they can't find a boyfriend, types. When I would see them, I would purposly give them a big hello, when then I would get a fake smile barely could hear you hi. After a while, I just would walk right by them. When I got married, they both pretended to not even know I had been engaged for the past 2 years lol.

Anyhow, we merged with another company and there's another one, again, around my age, who seems kind of cold. She is friendly with a few of the guys in my group. I noticed twice already this girl has left my name off of group invites for afterwork drinks, and I'm assuming on purpose, when my entire group has been invited, including my boss. Now, I never go out after work anyway, but I did find this odd. I have never spoken to this girl, I don't do work for her so other then sitting in the same vicinity, I won't be interacting with her. Last week, she comes out while I am standing waiting for the elevator. My back was to her, so I didn't want to be rude and turned around and smiled at her, again, isn't this the polite thing to do. I got this crooked, smirk like "omg I don't want to smile at you" type of reaction and then she quickly turned her back to me. I find this kind of cattyness to be really funny, considering this is coming from someone who has never even spoken to me before lol. So has anyone else dealt with females like this?

I prefer working with guys in a work environment. I have been at call centers, and big corporations and always ran into the same kind of childish behavior. I use to work for large cable company years ago and found the women in the dispatch department to be lazy, bitchy and clicky. It's just the way it was. I chose to just do my job and didn't mix business with pleasure outside of work. They use to ask why I never hung out with them and I could careless about having a drink after work, because I was there to get PAID not socialize and be best friends.

We all want to get along with our co-workers and there will be just a certain few that we won't care for. I figure if all someone does it talk about me all the time, I must be pretty dam popular and their life must be pretty dam miserable.

Just do your job and leave the BS for kids. Kill em with kindness, but let them know that your aren't to be messed with either, because once we are out of the office and you pull that sh--, I am whooping yo a--!

Old 10-26-2010, 06:57 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Yeah because when a person is bullied, they should just take it no matter what the bully doles out, even if it causes physical harm
Well, one should learn how to cope with it.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,308 times
I have that same situation. Young and older women whom I do not work with nor have to interact but they just did not like me. Looking at me evil. I would say hi and good morning and they would just not respond or just respond all cranky. This one girl who has her clique (2 guys). The one guy is an IT person and I usually ask for his help..but he never helps me..he always says he will and he would not help me. They usually walk by and stare at me and giggle and often times stand in front of my cubicle and giggle and gossip making them think they are talking about me. I am only a temp and my boss would side with the IT too..constantly reminded that I am not permanent. It's just sad that I am back in High School (irony I loved high school) but this high school which is work is very immature. Just cannot wait for my time to end here.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:52 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
That's what happens when a bunch of losers, who are friends outside of work, are hired to work in the same office. Nothing but trouble. Sorry to hear about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worksux View Post
I have that same situation. Young and older women whom I do not work with nor have to interact but they just did not like me. Looking at me evil. I would say hi and good morning and they would just not respond or just respond all cranky. This one girl who has her clique (2 guys). The one guy is an IT person and I usually ask for his help..but he never helps me..he always says he will and he would not help me. They usually walk by and stare at me and giggle and often times stand in front of my cubicle and giggle and gossip making them think they are talking about me. I am only a temp and my boss would side with the IT too..constantly reminded that I am not permanent. It's just sad that I am back in High School (irony I loved high school) but this high school which is work is very immature. Just cannot wait for my time to end here.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:50 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
That' like comparing apples and oranges. You can avoid a nasty family member/move farther away, divorce a spouse or never see them (have an affair), and get rid of the boy/girlfriend.Besides, none of the above are paying you a salary and providing benefits. But you are stuck with a nightmare boss while you work for them. That person can make your life such hell that you don't even have the time, energy and money to look for work and interview. That is what my previous boss did to me, so quitting was physically the only solution. There is a difference between bullying and consistently tormenting someone. Maybe one can call it aggravated bullying? Legally it would be known as aggravated harassment. Outside of the workplace it's a serious thing and anytime the cops plug your name into the computer, this charge comes up: bang, like a shot.So why is it that in the workplace it's justified because you're paid money? That's like saying it's ok to torment as one is being paid for it. I find that sick.
As employees, we have to begin to stand up to this.
I was laid off. BEST thing that ever happened to me, though it took me almost a year to realize it. My bosses were aware of the way I was treated (they even witnessed it), but they did nothing. On top of allowing the demeaning, bullying, and ostracism, they spent a year trying to get me to quit, like cutting my pay, taking away my vacation and paid holidays (they did this by changing my status from a salaried 40 hours to 32 hours), and deliberately holding up my checks on payday. I found out there's a term for what I went through: "Constructive Discharge". It's getting rid of an employee by driving them to quit. I didn't give them the satisfaction of quitting, even though they told me outright when I complained about the pay cut that if I did quit they "wouldn't contest my unemployment". I worked there for ten years, I was almost 50 years old, and it was obvious they wanted to get rid of me. That last year was pure h*ll. I drank a shot of vodka every night when I got home from work.

I now have a job that I really like. I work with a dozen other women, the NICEST ladies I've ever worked with in my life! It's not an office environment (it's a school cafeteria), but there's a comaraderie and team work. We all rotate our jobs, so we're on an equal basis and help each other. Bullying isn't tolerated in school, and it's not tolerated with the employees either.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 05-14-2011 at 03:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment