U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:21 AM

703 posts, read 1,115,230 times

Advertisements

I've been summoned for Jury duty in Nebraska on 9/13/10. When I told my supervisor about it he told me I should ask for a reschedule because there are other people who already have time off that day and week.

Is this a reasonable request? I'm providing three weeks notice of the summons and I feel that I would prefer to just do it and get it over with. I don't really want to have to deal with it any longer than I have to.

I know that I cannot be fired or docked vaction for serving on the Jury. But am I correct in feeling that this is slightly hostile to tell me that I need to ask them to reschedule because he feels the office will be shorthanded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 12:40 PM

71 posts, read 62,356 times
Just tell your Super that the company must submit a letter to the jury duty office and you'll, probably, see that he'll agree to you taking the time to do the jury. He's trying to get you to do the dirtywork of notifying them, so, when you put the ball back in his court, then you'll see how fast he'll agree.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:25 PM

6,372 posts, read 10,470,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
I've been summoned for Jury duty in Nebraska on 9/13/10. When I told my supervisor about it he told me I should ask for a reschedule because there are other people who already have time off that day and week.

Is this a reasonable request? I'm providing three weeks notice of the summons and I feel that I would prefer to just do it and get it over with. I don't really want to have to deal with it any longer than I have to.

I know that I cannot be fired or docked vaction for serving on the Jury. But am I correct in feeling that this is slightly hostile to tell me that I need to ask them to reschedule because he feels the office will be shorthanded?
Sounds to me like he's asking for a little flexibility and all you are responding with are excuses.

If my company and boss were pricks I might push back but if you like your job I would play ball, but that is just me. This is the nature of being an employee, they tell you what to do.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:39 PM

43,253 posts, read 47,117,023 times
It sounds rersonable to me and most times the coutnry clerk can do just this as they do with people who get them when scheduled vacation.Your not being asked to get out of jury duty just delay it and if the company pays you then its reasonable.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:55 PM

703 posts, read 1,115,230 times
Thanks for the info, I think that makes sense. But yes they are pricks, that's why I feel like fighting them.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:35 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,751,555 times
Ask your boss what would be the best time for him for you to take time off for jury duty.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:03 PM

2,020 posts, read 2,659,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post

I don't see anything unreasonable about an employer asking you to postpone jury duty if in fact they will be short staffed that week due to people being scheduled for time off.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:19 PM

16,843 posts, read 16,657,177 times
The trick will be having the employer write the letter. Jury Commissioners/Clerks of the Court look askance at people called for jury duty who use the work excuse without the boss backing it up.

As it stands without the boss you have to report or a bench warrant may be issued to compel you to get there.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:43 PM

2,020 posts, read 2,659,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The trick will be having the employer write the letter. Jury Commissioners/Clerks of the Court look askance at people called for jury duty who use the work excuse without the boss backing it up.

As it stands without the boss you have to report or a bench warrant may be issued to compel you to get there.
That's odd. Where I live (NYC) when you get the jury notice in the mail you can check off "postpone service" and put in a date within the next six months when you can serve. You don't need any letter or anything.

When the second notice comes, if you want to postpone again you have to appear in person to explain why. You cannot postpone for a third time though I'm sure if you broke a leg or whatever they'd let you but you'd have to go there with doctor's notes and what have you to get out of it.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:00 PM

16,843 posts, read 16,657,177 times
Different states with different rules. I've been called in and been in the Court when the Judge has directed that warrants be prepared for no-shows, in both PA and MD.

I needed to postpone a couple years ago due to work reasons and my boss wrote (actually I wrote it) the letter requesting that my duty be re-scheduled. It was, but I was in the pool for the next Court session a month or so later.

We got a new State's Attorney 4 years ago and most criminal cases are pled out at the defendant's request. She's not called Hangin' Laura for no reason. She has a 99%+ conviction rate right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment