Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 05:03 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,281 times

Advertisements

Basically, this manager has been letting pressing and important issues brought to his attention fall by the wayside for months now. Now we all hear that he's given notice that he's leaving in a couple of weeks from now. From what I hear, he has been wanting a raise. Now I think I understand why he's been "checked out" for the past few months.

All well and good for him if he has found greener pastures. However, I feel that a person should continue to perform at 100% until the last day on the job. His mismanagement or "non-management' of the dept. has sickened me.

Is there ever a reason to non perform or underperform a job you are getting paid to do just because you know you are leaving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 05:39 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,521,988 times
Totally in agreement 100%. Let him leave if he hates it so. Personally I would apply for his job, if I was qualified for a promotion - and do a better job than he did.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:46 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,940,943 times
To be honest, there are sometimes when a manager has no choice but to act that way. You have no idea what kind of crap he could be dealing with. I would be cautious with applying for the job. There may be a good reason he is leaving and you don't want to find that out once you are in the job. Maybe talk with him and find out what the deal is. The most open anyone will be is when they no longer have ties to the job. So, take this opportunity and find out what is going on. It can't hurt to try...

Some companies are horrible right now - focused on things that they shouldn't be and when someone tries to fight that and keeps getting knocked down, there is a point when not even the most willfill person can stand up anymore. It sucks but it is reality for so many out there.

Good Luck!

Old 08-26-2010, 06:57 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,414,293 times
To be honest, there are sometimes when a manager has no choice but to act that way. You have no idea what kind of crap he could be dealing with. I would be cautious with applying for the job. There may be a good reason he is leaving and you don't want to find that out once you are in the job.

One rep wasnt enough for this post....

Old 08-27-2010, 01:33 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,404 times
While I agree you should give 100% until the day you leave, a lot may depend on the job. If he is a manager, part of his job may be long term planning and scheduling. If he is leaving, there is no real need for him to do any ling term stuff. He also shouldn't be making any major decisions if he is quitting.

Just let him go through the motions as his time runs out. If he is generally unhappy with his job, that is why it showed in his performance and that is why he is quitting.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:00 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,281 times
Let me just say that I have no intention of applying for his job. Also, I know exactly what he has been dealing with. The problem is, his inaction on several fronts caused things to fester and blow up in my face and I could not defend myself. I could not speak up on some things because I can't be seen as trying to make my boss look bad - so I have been caught the between Scylla and Charibdes (as said by Sting).

Old 08-28-2010, 07:14 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,177,754 times
Just curious..............how many of you that are knocking the manager, have ever managed before?

I'm talking managed with a high level of responsibility?

Old 08-28-2010, 07:37 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,940,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
Let me just say that I have no intention of applying for his job. Also, I know exactly what he has been dealing with. The problem is, his inaction on several fronts caused things to fester and blow up in my face and I could not defend myself. I could not speak up on some things because I can't be seen as trying to make my boss look bad - so I have been caught the between Scylla and Charibdes (as said by Sting).
There are still things that you may not know about. If my other half's direct reports knew all the crap he deals with on a daily basis when they seem to think he just has tons of meetings with the VP's and his boss - every day they are asking him to cut back the budget and then because his bosses are stupid enough to think that next year they will have the same budget (when they have successfully cut 30-40% this year) they are sadly mistaken. Plus, he ends up working at home all the time. The electronic age and all these fun gadgets have only allowed that to happen more and more. Sure, he doesn't act like this manager sounds like he acts, but he isn't too far from it. The larger the company you work for, the more crap you have to deal with. Especially if that company is public and traded on the stock exchange. That puts stress to a different level.

Regardless, I am glad that you aren't applying for your managers job. Unless you haven't been behind those closed doors, you have no idea what he is dealing with. If this is the only time that you have been thrown under the bus, count yourself lucky. Frankly, there are some occassions when it isn't worth defending someone and better to throw them under the bus. It doesn't make him a bad manager. It just makes for an immature employee that needs to learn to cover their butt more.

If there is anything I have learned in business (and I don't deal with half the crap that your boss seems to or my other half for that matter) is to always cover your butt. If you don't, you are just asking to be stepped on. JMHO and lesson learned from my own mistakes.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:22 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
If you only knew half the crap some managers put up because of their employees screw ups. I know I took a lot of heat myself for what they did...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment