Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:51 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,699 times

Advertisements

I've found most people to be fakes. The ones I thought would care - ha! Heard hardly a peep from them during my "transition". They don't know what I'm doing now, and I'll never tell. I've deleted their numbers and e-mail addresses from my phone and computer.
Never, ever again will be so naive or friendly at work. I'll be professional, sure, but that's as good as it gets.

Did you find a job yet? None of your stankin' business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 05:54 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times

YouTube - The Silhouettes - Get A Job

Old 08-31-2010, 06:40 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I had a neighbor who would ask constantly "are you working yet" and she was British so it sounded so formal...LOL.

Now she would see me in the yard on a Tuesday afternoon at 2pm( do you think I'm working) in a t-shirt and shorts pulling weeds.

I finally told her thank you for your concern but unless you have some job leads( she was retired) could you please not ask. I could be having a great day and focusing on something else and it brings me down. I also said if you see me home on a weekday doing yard work chances are I am not working.

She may have been a little put out, but it beat trying to avoid her and run in the house every time she appeared.

You find out soon enough who is really concerned and who is just being nosy.
But not all jobs are Mon-Fri 9-5. I'm an auditor so I work graveyard shift. Chances are for me, anytime you would see me doing anything it would be during the morning or afternoon when others are working.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:30 PM

229 posts, read 573,707 times
annika * Peopel in your neighborhood know your work schedule. At least in mine they do. The neighbor is just being nosy and rude. On the other hand, I was very surprised when a former coworker "linked" me on "Linked In" and I am getting leads from her leads. THAT's how you know who your friends are.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:43 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
But not all jobs are Mon-Fri 9-5. I'm an auditor so I work graveyard shift. Chances are for me, anytime you would see me doing anything it would be during the morning or afternoon when others are working.
Yes but I was working a Mon-Fri 9 to 5 job prior to the layoff, plus my car was in my driveway day and night. It didn't take a detective to figure it out.

It was a case of someone being more nosy than anything else. But saying what I said "nipped it in the bud" going forward.

I wasn't rude but I got my point across. Sometimes we have to educate people when they're too ignorant to realize they're being insensitive.

Why should I have to feel uncomfortable or have to explain myself every time I saw this woman?

Besides she always shouted it out" Are you working yet?", never a "hello" or "how are things going".....which would have been classier and more appropriate.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:46 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Wow, hold on...those people are obviously being incredibly rude, nosy, and insensitive. All I was saying is that people work various shifts, since there is such a common misconception that all jobs are the Mon-Fri 9-5 type...that's all.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:49 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
It doesn't bother me when people ask-you should look at it that people are concerned. I always respond "not yet" but I'm looking....

Old 09-01-2010, 09:17 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
Some are concerned, others not. People are all very different. Most of us can see which are which, I think. However, not everybody wants or has a 9-5 job. What about those of us who are doing creative on the side of several part time jobs? I might be a pilates or yoga instructor while I hold 2 part time "office" jobs. I have a long time acquaintance who has a finance background but teaches dance as well. She works as a consultant/project manager for hire and teaches dance on the side. She is married to a well known performing arts promoter/producer in New York City and they own another business together.Not everybody fits into this updated 1950s cubicle corporate mold. So of course, we can't get upset about being asked "have you found a job yet?" We are amused. My question to those people who ask would be, "Have you found a job that you actually enjoy and make great money at?" It's amusing.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:11 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
You hate to keep it a secret because you never know who can help you but some folks are just to annoying and nosey.

There are a couple of people that I see daily, it seems they keep asking "did you find a job yet?".

Not only do they ask but they'll ask in public places and all of a sudden ALL EYES ON ME.

Not that I am ashamed of being unemployed but man it get's old.

There's this one guy that I really want to tell to stop asking me. But I need to figure out a nice way to tell him.

It's bad enough that I am looking for work but when folks keep asking you every darn day, it gets annoying.

How do they know your unemployed?

Or were you one of those guys who cried to everyone when you became unemployed and are now offended if they bring your job status up in conversation ?

Old 09-01-2010, 12:52 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
How do they know your unemployed?

Or were you one of those guys who cried to everyone when you became unemployed and are now offended if they bring your job status up in conversation ?

Habits.....overhearing others, others spreading the word.

I've had people walk to me and say " Ron, I heard what happened".

I hope that answers your question. Nice try though......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search