Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 05:04 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
A rural area? Trying to see why was it so difficult living without a car
Perhaps because away from major metropolitan centres - public transit in the USA pretty much sucks..........(and even in some of those)

Guess you never noticed that.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:04 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
I'll probably get into trouble with this, but I just saw this guy on CNN who actually was crying: he lost his job at a plant, operating large machinery, and "all he could find" was a job at Lowe's Supermarket, making $16.00/hour. He said something (with tears in his eyes) along the lines of: this is America, how can this happen.

Well, boo hoo. I think he should be ashamed of himself. He's privileged to have a job; he's not on the streets, or going hungry, and his family is probably fine. Life is change; the economy changes. Nobody is owed ANYTHING. He should read about the changes going on, world-wide.

From what I understand from reading Thomas Friedman, Sam Hungtington, Alvin Tofler and others, these changes are a function of the world economy and the changes in technology, and are not the fault of any political party, or individual leader.
Have you ever been jobless with a mortgage and family?
What is he supposed to do, live under a bridge?
He isn't going to care about what is going on in the world until he can provide food and shelter for his family.
The rich have STOLEN 40% of the economy and are taking it to China leaving a third world America behind

Old 09-06-2010, 05:20 PM

544 posts, read 1,485,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Perhaps because away from major metropolitan centres - public transit in the USA pretty much sucks..........(and even in some of those)

Guess you never noticed that.

And it particularly sux if you have multiple sclerosis and can't walk.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
And it particularly sux if you have multiple sclerosis and can't walk.
you should have put that in your original post about living without a car

Old 09-06-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
you should have put that in your original post about living without a car

My original post was not about living without a car. But see Message #6 where I wrote:

Quote:
(And I should add I'm a woman, alone, with MS, elderly -- I've lost my husband, my parents, my cat of 16 years. But there is never an excuse to feel sorry for yourself when so many people are suffering from so much worse than most of us privileged, educated Americans are.)

Old 09-06-2010, 05:28 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
My original post was not about living without a car.
you stated you had to live without a car and I wanted to know why. You told, The End

Old 09-06-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
you stated you had to live without a car and I wanted to know why. You told, The End
Well, okay...but you really didn't ask why I had to live without a car, but about why it was *difficult* to live without a car. Correct?

Old 09-06-2010, 05:33 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
A rural area? Trying to see why was it so difficult living without a car
Unless you live in Philly, NYC or Chicago ... Public transit is pretty much dismal in other urban areas including Los Angeles. I get along fine without a car but there are times when it does not work as well.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:34 PM

I just want people to be rational and logical, a forlorn hope. Which brings to mind this little gem:

YouTube - Americans are NOT stupid - WITH SUBTITLES

Old 09-06-2010, 06:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy333 View Post
I agree with kodaka, what a shame to make fun of someone else's misfortune. We are not owed anything in life, but we go to work and get comforatable in our lives and it really stinks when of no fault of our own our world is flipped upside down. We don't know what else was happening in his life to make him cry. Maybe some compassion for the guy??????? I'm really glad he found another job, so many others have not.
Exactly. We have no idea what else is going on his life and this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

The OP is a troll plain and simple.

After they got bashed they became an old woman with MS who is a widow with a dead cat....PLEASE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment