Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 04:39 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times

Advertisements

hmm lets see:

Network systems and data analysts - most of the servers are being relocated to India. India has a huge IT workforce and these types of jobs are perfect for them.

Software engineers - easily outsourced to India. Most large software firms have huge operations in India. Unless you are a software genius, don't expect to get a job in this field.

Biomedical engineers - Once again, all the big medical companies have huge laboratories in India, easy to scale up.

Accountants and auditors - Might take a while for this industry to get hit but with IFRS (International accounting standards) everyone will have the same rules. An accountant in the USA and an accountant in India will be operating on the same rules. At that point its a no shocker who you will want to do your accounting work.

Veterinarians - requires tons of education and medical license. Also probably not much job growth here. I am sure even with job growth it amounts to a couple thousand jobs. If you are going to go into the medical field you might as well take up general practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 04:46 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
I've noticed that a lot of people going into nursing are going in it for the money. A lot of the people I've seen tend not to be "intellectual" types, but rather the former high school pot heads, cheerleaders, jocks, average to below-average students, etc., who just want a job that pays bank. And since an RN degree from a CC is pretty easy to obtain, a lot of people are flocking to this field. Very few people I've met are going into the field because of their compassion for people.

I'm not trying to stereotype, this is just what I've seen in people seeking this path.
Its like that for every single field that supposedly has a large amount of good paying jobs. Always has and always will.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:18 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post

Biomedical engineers - Once again, all the big medical companies have huge laboratories in India, easy to scale up.
Easy to scale up what? I'm not sure what you have in mind. Manufacturing? Yea, that makes sense. But, as far as the sciences go, it's innovation that's in the US vs India. There are large investments in China, tho, they haven't arrived yet either. Bio-tech is strong in MA due to Harvard, MIT, etc. If/when we no longer lead in innovation it will be problematic and that hit will be taken across industries.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:47 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,060 times
Quote:
Its like that for every single field that supposedly has a large amount of good paying jobs. Always has and always will.
I believe this, but only to an extent. There are certain good paying jobs that these types of people may aspire to, but will never have the aptitude to acheive. The type of people I described tend to go into more tech fields like dental assistant, nursing assistant, nursing, HVAC, plumbing, computer repair technician, etc. When you're able to solve advanced equations in calculus and physics, you're very likely not aspiring to be an HVAC technician or plumber.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:33 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
hmm lets see:

Network systems and data analysts - most of the servers are being relocated to India. India has a huge IT workforce and these types of jobs are perfect for them.
Link to source confirming "most of the servers" are being relocated to India? You pulled that from so deep your elbow has **** stains on it.

Quote:
Software engineers - easily outsourced to India. Most large software firms have huge operations in India. Unless you are a software genius, don't expect to get a job in this field.
LOL you obviously don't work in the field and haven't a clue what you're talking about. I'd recommend others stay away from the advice of the clueless.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:47 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
In my state, nursing is still in demand. We have a lot of small towns and the community college has made the nursing program TOUGH. They don't maintain a waitlist, but you have to pretty much have to ace classes like Advanced Anatomy, Microbiology, Chemistry to even get into the program. Not everyone has the talent or discipline to do that.
Hah, that's not tough, it's the bare minimum to become competent.

A semester of high school microbiology = less than one 50 minute microbio lecture in medical school.
A semester of college microbiology = four, five med school microbio lectures.

I guess ones definition of talent and discipline are all relative.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:55 PM

387 posts, read 871,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post

A semester of high school microbiology = less than one 50 minute microbio lecture in medical school.
A semester of college microbiology = five med school microbio lectures.

Oh please ...why do you hate nurses? What is your problem?
Poor treatment by physicians is a prime reason for the nursing shortage that exists most of the time (not currently due the recession)

Old 09-10-2010, 04:11 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
Oh please ...why do you hate nurses? What is your problem?
Poor treatment by physicians is a prime reason for the nursing shortage that exists most of the time (not currently due the recession)
Poor treatment of young medical residents by nurses with a power trip is the prime reason why some doctors turn out to hate nurses when they become attendings. I've seen it happen to many people. It's a vicious cycle. You reap what you sow. I have nothing against nurses, I just found it amusing that acing high school bio is considered a great accomplishment, it reflects the general low standards America has for education. Knowing high school bio and chem should be the bare minimum to have any responsibility in the health care field.

There's no significant nursing shortage in America, only shortages are in midnight shifts and the boonies. New nursing grads have hard time finding jobs in major markets.

And nurses receive far more abuse from fellow nurses (they eat their own) than from doctors. This is true in other female-dominated fields, like teaching. Don't blame the doctors for the crappy work environment. We endure it too.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:

A semester of college microbiology = four, five med school microbio lectures.

What's this about? A checker checking a checker? eta: well, I can see the answer to that in your post above. I'm having a vivid memory of my 3rd grade teacher, Mrs. Lancerate, that enjoyed scripting across the chalk board. Any way, I think talent and discipline can be deemed relative given that it's often noted the way of an opinion.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 09-10-2010 at 04:32 PM..

Old 09-10-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Poor treatment of young medical residents by nurses with a power trip is the prime reason why some doctors turn out to hate nurses when they become attendings. I've seen it happen to many people. It's a vicious cycle. You reap what you sow. I have nothing against nurses, I just found it amusing that acing high school bio is considered a great accomplishment, it reflects the general low standards America has for education. Knowing high school bio and chem should be the bare minimum to have any responsibility in the health care field.

There's no significant nursing shortage in America, only shortages are in midnight shifts and the boonies. New nursing grads have hard time finding jobs in major markets.

And nurses receive far more abuse from fellow nurses (they eat their own) than from doctors. This is true in other female-dominated fields, like teaching. Don't blame the doctors for the crappy work environment. We endure it too.
Reason 1001 why it scares the willies out of me when a family member enters a hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment