Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:08 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,617,892 times

Advertisements

Again, is being an RN really the "hot" career? I say no...everyone seems to be in nursing school but where are the jobs?

As for this: "Not necessarily true. I know of a hospital in South Texas( I believe it was Brownsville) is looking for an ICU RN and must have 3- 4 years experience, the sign on bonus is 24K!!! I did some research on this and found out the area it is in is not desirable thus the large bonus."
How do people get experience if no one hires a person right out of school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 09:16 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,311,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
I am a nursing student myself and the CC is a 2 year course but by no way is it easy. Nursing school is hard I will tell you that now. The other think is nursing school requires "critical thinking skills" so when you say intellectual are you speaking of being good with words or having :"critical thinking skills"

I have a friend who works as a nursing for a nursing home she has 40 patients per day. Try taking care of 40 old sick people at one time and keep your compassion. It is not all the fault of nurses, but it is the healthcare industry as a whole, when you hit the floor you are running, law enforcement officers are the same, you place your life on the line, you leave your family everyday to serve the public if that is not compassion I dont know what is! but nurses do the same.

It comes with the job that I know but just because it comes with the job dosnt mean I took out 3 years of student loans to be overwork and underpaid - nurses want to be compensated and there is nothing wrong with that. All through school I worked and many other nurses worked as well 8 to 9 hours studying and then go to work as a CNA for 10 p/h doing what it takes just to become a nurse all of this is compassion for the patient as well as for the trade

I'm not saying that nursing is a really simple field to break into. That's relative and depends on the individual's skills and interests. Would you believe that some people have a natural ability for working with mathematics and may consider the most rigorous engineering programs as being easy? Would you also believe that these same people may find an English Lit class to be extremely difficult, because their brains are wired moreso for solving equations than for writing a creative stanza?

What I was saying before is that most of the people I know in the nursing fields did not come across as intellectual types. They were the C-students in high school, the pot heads, the drama queens, the kids who didn't study much. Somewhere along the line, they decided they wanted to get away from waiting tables and decided to get an AS or certificate at community college in nursing. Please realize that just because you have a degree doesn't mean that you did well in college. For all we know, some of these people just barely scraped by. And since anybody can go to community college (absolutely no admissions standards at all), who can be sure of what you're getting? At least by going to a Uni program, you know that there was a minimum requirement for getting admitted to the program.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:38 AM

2,106 posts, read 3,061,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Again, is being an RN really the "hot" career? I say no...everyone seems to be in nursing school but where are the jobs?

As for this: "Not necessarily true. I know of a hospital in South Texas( I believe it was Brownsville) is looking for an ICU RN and must have 3- 4 years experience, the sign on bonus is 24K!!! I did some research on this and found out the area it is in is not desirable thus the large bonus."
How do people get experience if no one hires a person right out of school?
Yeah being an RN I don't think is the "hot" career right now. You can make a great living, but you may or may not be happy. Right now the hospitals are in the driving seat. They are not willing to hire new grads and shell out alot of cash on orientation for someone who just graduated. To receive bonuses like these you must have experience. Usually a new grad will start in a Med Surgical floor or do a Internship in a critical setting. To orient a new grad completely you are looking at 6months to a year which is alot for a hospital. To orient an experienced nurse you are looking at 2weeks - 3 months (max) and she/he would be included in the numbers with staff, the new grad will not be. So you are paying for someone who is still in training and not as staff.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:25 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,617,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
Yeah being an RN I don't think is the "hot" career right now. You can make a great living, but you may or may not be happy. Right now the hospitals are in the driving seat. They are not willing to hire new grads and shell out alot of cash on orientation for someone who just graduated. To receive bonuses like these you must have experience. Usually a new grad will start in a Med Surgical floor or do a Internship in a critical setting. To orient a new grad completely you are looking at 6months to a year which is alot for a hospital. To orient an experienced nurse you are looking at 2weeks - 3 months (max) and she/he would be included in the numbers with staff, the new grad will not be. So you are paying for someone who is still in training and not as staff.
I agree that's why I don't read the "hot careers of blah blah blah" they are just driving the oversaturation of careers-example: a couple of years ago I read about how x-ray tech's could make upwards of 60K a year-now there are soo many x-ray techs that no one makes 60K without years and years of experience-how do I know, I have about 10 friends who went to school, racked up a lot of debt and couldn't find a job-

Old 09-17-2010, 02:59 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
I'm not saying that nursing is a really simple field to break into. That's relative and depends on the individual's skills and interests. Would you believe that some people have a natural ability for working with mathematics and may consider the most rigorous engineering programs as being easy? Would you also believe that these same people may find an English Lit class to be extremely difficult, because their brains are wired moreso for solving equations than for writing a creative stanza?

What I was saying before is that most of the people I know in the nursing fields did not come across as intellectual types. They were the C-students in high school, the pot heads, the drama queens, the kids who didn't study much. Somewhere along the line, they decided they wanted to get away from waiting tables and decided to get an AS or certificate at community college in nursing. Please realize that just because you have a degree doesn't mean that you did well in college. For all we know, some of these people just barely scraped by. And since anybody can go to community college (absolutely no admissions standards at all), who can be sure of what you're getting? At least by going to a Uni program, you know that there was a minimum requirement for getting admitted to the program.
Requirements for getting into any NURSING program no matter if it's a CC or University is entirely different than getting into a regular CC. There are a host of pre-reqs of sciences including Chem, Microbiology and Anatomy & Physiology not to mention English, Algebra, Psychology and those courses are the same level no matter WHERE you take them a CC or Univiersity. A pre-nursing student must also sit and pass a NLN pre-nursing exam. On top of that there are 2-3 year waiting lists to get into the nursing program and the GPA and test scores better be very high just to get in. So you've got it very wrong about "getting admitted to the program" of a nursing program at a CC and I wouldn't call those "minimum requirements" either.

And let me tell you there is no "scaping by" in any nursing program. Many RN's who make it through their CC program go on to earn their BSN's.

Each of these programs has to be certified by the NLN - the national league of nursing. The standard must be the same no matter if it's a CC or pricy university.

Then if they survive the program they must sit for the NCLEX the SAME exam as the BSN nurses to earn their RN.

Quote:
What I was saying before is that most of the people I know in the nursing fields did not come across as intellectual types. They were the C-students in high school, the pot heads, the drama queens, the kids who didn't study much.
I find your statement of nurses not being "intellectual types" quite offensive and you have no clue as to what the process is to get into any nursing program and the knowledge base and critical thinking skills needed to graduate.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:06 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,311,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Requirements for getting into any NURSING program no matter if it's a CC or University is entirely different than getting into a regular CC. There are a host of pre-reqs of sciences including Chem, Microbiology and Anatomy & Physiology not to mention English, Algebra, Psychology and those courses are the same level no matter WHERE you take them a CC or Univiersity. A pre-nursing student must also sit and pass a NLN pre-nursing exam. On top of that there are 2-3 year waiting lists to get into the nursing program and the GPA and test scores better be very high just to get in. So you've got it very wrong about "getting admitted to the program" of a nursing program at a CC and I wouldn't call those "minimum requirements" either.

And let me tell you there is no "scaping by" in any nursing program. Many RN's who make it through their CC program go on to earn their BSN's.

Each of these programs has to be certified by the NLN - the national league of nursing. The standard must be the same no matter if it's a CC or pricy university.

Then if they survive the program they must sit for the NCLEX the SAME exam as the BSN nurses to earn their RN.

I find your statement of nurses not being "intellectual types" quite offensive and you have no clue as to what the process is to get into any nursing program and the knowledge base and critical thinking skills needed to graduate.

I made a statement about what I've observed. You don't have to agree, but maybe you've witnessed something different. Since you're taking such offense to my post, I can only assume that you either are a nurse or you have interest in becoming a nurse, and maybe this is a sensitive topic for you. My point here is that nursing has been propagandized into this "cash cow", so to speak. So it only makes sense that it's going to attract those seeking the quickest, easiest way to $$$.

Also, I did not say that ALL nurses aren't intellectual. I have no way of knowing that. I said that a lot of the the people I see trying to get into these programs are the ones doing it for the money and they tend to be the average to less than average folks from high school. I personally think that someone should enjoy their field and have a passion for doing the work. A happy, satisfied employee is a good employee. Someone just doing it for the money or access to drugs is not who I want caring for me. I think we're seeing more and more of that these days.

Home HealthCare Nurse Beats Up 90 Year Old Man Caught On Tape

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE4W-bvxgzs

I just wouldn't want a field like nursing or any sort of healthcare field to be taken over by people like this. That's my biggest concern.

Last edited by mcb1025; 09-17-2010 at 03:31 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 03:30 PM

305 posts, read 1,004,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post

I could not have said this better myself, yes some of us are more better at one subject than another, however, community college is just the beginning of a nursing career, you have BSN, MSN, Advance Nursing, let us not forget Phd in Nursing, or the ultimate a CRNA (Yes that is my long term goal)

I am not saying I dont know people that are now nurses that didnt smoke pot but I would not say that most all nurses are C students- I guess because I know what it entails to be a nursing student, if you dont have a 4.0 you are most likely not getting into a nursing program. The requirements will state you must have a 2.5 which you are correct is a C average, however, the competition is so intense that you will not make it with that.

Also, nurses dont just work in hospitals with white suits, you have research nursing, Legal nursing, Nursing within insurance companies, nurses that focus on the political areas of nursing, with an RN you have so many avenues, but each of these require a BSN not a two year CC degree.

Futhermore, I know engineer's that where potheads, I know cops that were crooks, I also know social workers that need social workers the list can go on and on, the point is that nursing takes a lot to give of your life and time away from family and friends working nights, some can do it for the money but most do it because it is a lifelong dream either way nurses, have invested the same about of themselves that your Dr. Lawyer, Engineer, CPA, and so on

Old 09-17-2010, 03:34 PM

305 posts, read 1,004,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
I made a statement about what I've observed. You don't have to agree, but maybe you've witnessed something different. Since you're taking such offense to my post, I can only assume that you either are a nurse or you have interest in becoming a nurse, and maybe this is a sensitive topic for you. My point here is that nursing has been propagandized into this "cash cow", so to speak. So it only makes sense that it's going to attract those seeking the quickest, easiest way to $$$.

Also, I did not say that ALL nurses aren't intellectual. I have no way of knowing that. I said that a lot of the the people I see trying to get into these programs are the ones doing it for the money and they tend to be the average to less than average folks from high school. I personally think that someone should enjoy their field and have a passion for doing the work. A happy, satisfied employee is a good employee. Someone just doing it for the money or access to drugs is not who I want caring for me. I think we're seeing more and more of that these days.

Home HealthCare Nurse Beats Up 90 Year Old Man Caught On Tape

YouTube - Home HealthCare Nurse Beats Up 90 Year Old Man Caught On Tape

I just wouldn't want a field like nursing or any sort of healthcare field to be taken over by people like this. That's my biggest concern.
Let us not forget these 5000 nurses either
More Than 700 Nurses Volunteer For Haiti Relief Efforts; RNs Issue Urgent Call For Public Help

Old 09-17-2010, 04:33 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,899,950 times
There is a huge difference between the person who is just starting a two-year journey to get the prerequisites done to enter the nursing program at the local CC (yes it can take some people two years just to get through - our local cc has several levels of English leading to Eng 101, which is the pre-req for a lot of those nursing pre-reqs, not to mention a few levels of math to get to College Algebra - sadly some kids are graduating from HS not ready for college level math and English) and the person who is in the program taking the professional classes.

I am currently taking a one-credit online med terms class while waiting for my transcripts to be evaluated so I can have priority registration in the spring, and we have students in this relatively easy, yet extremely helpful (for those going into the health field) course upset that the exams are time limited to 25 minutes (for about 40 multiple choice questions). The same students that cannot hack this class will likely never make it into the nursing program, though they are part of the "I'm majoring in Nursing" crowd. Technically, they are pre-nursing, but a lot of times people will simply say "I'm studying Nursing"

Old 09-17-2010, 05:23 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
There is a huge difference between the person who is just starting a two-year journey to get the prerequisites done to enter the nursing program at the local CC (yes it can take some people two years just to get through - our local cc has several levels of English leading to Eng 101, which is the pre-req for a lot of those nursing pre-reqs, not to mention a few levels of math to get to College Algebra - sadly some kids are graduating from HS not ready for college level math and English) and the person who is in the program taking the professional classes.

I am currently taking a one-credit online med terms class while waiting for my transcripts to be evaluated so I can have priority registration in the spring, and we have students in this relatively easy, yet extremely helpful (for those going into the health field) course upset that the exams are time limited to 25 minutes (for about 40 multiple choice questions). The same students that cannot hack this class will likely never make it into the nursing program, though they are part of the "I'm majoring in Nursing" crowd. Technically, they are pre-nursing, but a lot of times people will simply say "I'm studying Nursing"
True, those who actually make it into the nursing programs LPN or RN have gone through lots of pre-req's and testing just to get into a program and then the real studying begins, there are many who just don't make it even after the rigorous pre-nursing schooling and testing. Many can not adjust to the type of critical thinking testing we go through, exacting standards, long study hours etc. To even get to the graduation date and pass the NCLEX is an arduous journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment