U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-08-2010, 01:13 PM

305 posts, read 633,690 times

Advertisements

I was working at a job and I believe my supervisor set me up. I say this because when I began working there she pulled me in her office and told me she had big plans for me, she then went on to say that I shouldnt pay any attention to her work schedule because she always comes in late and leaves early, she often takes off of work and that she is different than everybody else.

I explained to her that I really wasnt concerning myself with her schedule I was happy for the opportunity of working there and that she could just tell me what to do. She then continues the conversation by saying I was no longer a salary employee as they promise me but that I could adjust my schedule to a 40 hour work week or I could makeup anytime short in overtime. I thanked her and told her I will keep this in mind and ended the meeting.

A few weeks later she calls me back into the office and tells me the same thing but when I worked the overtime she had the payroll clerk come back and tell me I will not be getting paid for the overtime I worked because she said the company dosnt pay overtime. I thought the whole thing was odd because she just told me that they did but I let the issue go and said to myself I will just make sure I dont work late.

I then got a project dump on my desk by another co worker and since the project wasnt explained to me correctly I took it to my supervisor and ask exactly what did she want do with the project and when did she need the project by. She avoids to give me an answer instead she stated that she was too busy to deal with it, and that it was a math test she wanted to see what answers I will come up with now I am really confused because this is a big project and I know it cant be that. So I asked again and was told to take it to my coworker.

My supervisor then gets angry at another coworker which is the girl that process the payroll and curses her out. Yes I do mean literally she called her a dump bit*h and started yelling no one in the company knows what they are F**king doing but her, she even went as far as to hire 2 of her friends who are overpaid and have them work and report to her directly. The two friends she hired run in the office to calm her down, and I believe they only did it because that is there $$ as well if she leaves so do they.

About a day or two later she tells me she will be cursing at me the same way soon if I decide to continue working there, and I pretty much know I am not going to let her curse me out but I laugh the comment off and continue on with my work.

I followed up on the project and asked her when would she like to look over this project again no response I am too busy. About 2.5 months later I come into the office and she began cursing me out in the middle of everyone. She wasnt talking to me directly but she was talking about me " calling me a stupid "b" that I better know my f--king job by now and so forth, I saved her the trouble and went to lunch for a change since I never took a break since I was there

The next the conditions worsen I asked my coworker and then my supervisor did I do something wrong and it was like Dr Jeklly and Mr. Hind two different people with the door close of course then later that day with the door open in front of the entire department I was a stupid, no good a--hole that cant do anything, needless to say I lost it, I curse her out and told her to kiss my A--hole then.

The next day I handed in my resignation, I told her boss I could not work under these conditions and he suggest I could be the bigger person and tell my boss sorry for speaking to her that way. He said he really needs her and I said to him that you might need her but I dont I refuse to apologize and told him I will be cleaning my desk out today.

After talking to coworker and supervisor she said to be I told you this was a crazy place, she didnt want me to give any type of notice, and another co worker told me she pretty much wanted me gone because her boss was looking to get rid of her 2 friends and pass there work onto me, because I had the experience to do it, if he did in fact do that then she wouldnt be able to create such havoc and leave and come as she please.

Is this a Hostile work Environment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 03:25 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,960,021 times
No.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:24 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,320,880 times
No. However, they sound like a bunch of immature weirdos. Now next time when you go to an interview, ask them about overtime and "how often", and "is it compensated". That way, they can't start the "but we don't pay OT" deal AFTER they hire you. As far as "dumping projects on my desk" goes, if someone did that to me at the last minute, I would be like, "No, I'm really sorry but I have a funeral to go to." Or make up some other serious thing that you can't get out of - like "my mother has to be taken to the doctor." Doing this teaches people not to mess around with the last minute projects. They can ask you but they can't make you do it.

Here is the legal definition of hostile work environment below.
Hostile work environment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-08-2010, 06:10 PM

6,608 posts, read 6,984,137 times
crappy and hostile in the usual meaning of the word, but legally enforcible from an employment viewpoint, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment