Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2010, 04:15 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times

Advertisements

Retail jobs: Hiring process gets longer and tougher for store sales jobs - latimes.com

This story "irks" the crap out of me......all of this for a part-time retail sales job....I mean..are you serious? Guess I really should not be surprised since it is a 'sign of the times'....Also just didnt want to believe that things are that bad.....*SIGH*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 04:50 PM

720 posts, read 3,007,030 times
That is pretty crazy, that does suck for employees your jumping through more hoops to ring a register at the gap than you would for some gov security clearance job but its a sign of the times.

Soon enough things will rebound and we'll be back to the times these jobs they are carefully screening out of work professionals for will go back to the stoned 16 year old kid who could care less about the job. I eagerly await those times...

Old 09-11-2010, 05:26 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
I can possibly understand it for CERTAIN retail sales.....I know Container Store for example has a very good reputation for having knowledgeable sales staff.......but I certainly think it's overkill for part time seasonal retail positions.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:47 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I can possibly understand it for CERTAIN retail sales.....I know Container Store for example has a very good reputation for having knowledgeable sales staff.......but I certainly think it's overkill for part time seasonal retail positions.
So do I. But I would bet that if they are willing to spend the time and money it takes to go that far with the hiring process, that they pay well, and are looking for low turnover.

This story really just cites one store in depth - I'm sure for each position that receives 1000 applications that there is one that receives only 2 or 3.

It really bugs me right now. The media only wants to push bad news. The right wants bad news to discredit Obama (he can be discredited in spite of good news), and the left want to push bad news to push Obama to waste more money on unemployment. There is alot of good economic news out there - I see few things that point downward in terms of the broader economy. But with the media beating it down left and right, many companies who aren't big enough to hire an economist or consultant believe the media lies and hold off on hiring.

This site just happens to be an echo chamber for every little piece of negative news - right down to the local level. Good news is frequently cast aside and mocked.

Headline: Private hiring is up.
Response: Look at how small the number is, and how does that help the 350 million Americans on 99 weeks?

Old 09-11-2010, 07:17 PM

100 posts, read 291,609 times
I find these increasing "requirements" extremely wearing. I have a brand-new degree and am treated like a bum. It sure is nice to read these forums and have some input, these darn extra requirements for part-time low wage work are demoralizing. love.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:59 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
So do I. But I would bet that if they are willing to spend the time and money it takes to go that far with the hiring process, that they pay well, and are looking for low turnover.

This story really just cites one store in depth - I'm sure for each position that receives 1000 applications that there is one that receives only 2 or 3.

It really bugs me right now. The media only wants to push bad news. The right wants bad news to discredit Obama (he can be discredited in spite of good news), and the left want to push bad news to push Obama to waste more money on unemployment. There is alot of good economic news out there - I see few things that point downward in terms of the broader economy. But with the media beating it down left and right, many companies who aren't big enough to hire an economist or consultant believe the media lies and hold off on hiring.

This site just happens to be an echo chamber for every little piece of negative news - right down to the local level. Good news is frequently cast aside and mocked.

Headline: Private hiring is up.
Response: Look at how small the number is, and how does that help the 350 million Americans on 99 weeks?
LOL! Good economic news? Are your serious. You really are blind to whats happening in the US! Oh btw, liberal Canada is smoking the US when it comes to this global recession. lol. hmmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment