Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 12:20 PM

24 posts, read 48,194 times

Advertisements

I'm not an American, but I think arbitrarily having a knees up grand opening on the 9/11 anniversary is inappropriate. It's still too soon after the event.

There was a news story a few days ago about Canadian Muslim groups toning down their Eid festivities, which happened to fall on September 11 this year, in deference to the 9/11 anniversary, which I thought was a dignified gesture.

I know that a lot of eyebrows would be raised here in Canada if a restaurant had their grand opening on Remembrance Day (November 11).

No good reason why the restaurant couldn't have the grand opening on September 18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 12:57 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,717,451 times
Well Remembrance Day is also a statutory holiday, so it is treated a little differently that say, V-E day, or V-J day. I think that you would get the same reaction opening a restaurant on Memorial Day or to a lessor extent Veterans Day.

I lived in Canada for many years, and was born there... I don't like the way the troops are treated there, even when Don Cherry said little more than we ought to respect our troops in Afghanistan it was a controversy. I was discovered when I heard the Dean of the University of Winnipeg wouldn't accept scholarships for the children of wounded or KIA veterans because she believed if she did it would be tantamount to supporting killing of innocent Afghans who were firing AK-47s innocently on evil NATO troops.

However, I think that Canadians do Remembrance Day very well.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:05 PM

11,289 posts, read 18,863,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I don't really want it to become an official holiday either, just because when things become holidays we tend to forget the importance and meaning of them as time goes on and they just become a fun day off for people. I'd hate it if 30-40 years from now you saw ads for the big Sept. 11 sales, and that would probably happen if it became a holiday.
"9/11 sales"......now THAT would be distasteful.

I guess in some ways it is a "holiday".....I noticed some calendars mark it as "Patriot Day".

Old 09-12-2010, 01:31 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,683,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
"9/11 sales"......now THAT would be distasteful.

I guess in some ways it is a "holiday".....I noticed some calendars mark it as "Patriot Day".
It's an actual day of observance:

Patriot Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-12-2010, 03:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,617,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshHat View Post
I'm not an American, but I think arbitrarily having a knees up grand opening on the 9/11 anniversary is inappropriate. It's still too soon after the event.

There was a news story a few days ago about Canadian Muslim groups toning down their Eid festivities, which happened to fall on September 11 this year, in deference to the 9/11 anniversary, which I thought was a dignified gesture.

I know that a lot of eyebrows would be raised here in Canada if a restaurant had their grand opening on Remembrance Day (November 11).

No good reason why the restaurant couldn't have the grand opening on September 18.
Well Americans are VERY short sighted for the most part.

This country will most likely get attacked again, and your average American will stand there with their mouth open wondering how it happened again.

They're more concerned with American Idol than national security.

I agree, I thought it was very tacky.

The ironic thing is the restaurant which is in FL has a NY theme in an area where many NY transplants live. Surely some of them knew people who lost family and friends or were directly effected themselves.

Very tacky.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:50 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,683,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well Americans are VERY short sighted for the most part.

This country will most likely get attacked again, and your average American will stand there with their mouth open wondering how it happened again.

They're more concerned with American Idol than national security.

I agree, I thought it was very tacky.

The ironic thing is the restaurant which is in FL has a NY theme in an area where many NY transplants live. Surely some of them knew people who lost family and friends or were directly effected themselves.

Very tacky.
We have around 850,000 people with top secret clearances. A lot (really, a lot) work in intelligence. Trust me, a lot of people are concerned with national security. Those people who care more about American Idol than current events? Chances are they wouldn't be very adept at any job involving national security/intelligence. I get what you're trying to say, but I really don't think we'll be attacked again, certainly not on the scale of 9/11.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:06 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,895,032 times
In 1950 I'm sure a lot of people thought it was wrong for others to be carrying on normal life on December 7th. The former were still grieving over the events of that day in 1941, the latter weren't. And today, few if any find significance in that day at all.

Everyone grieves in their own way, and in their own time. There's no right or wrong to it. It just is.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:21 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,738,457 times
On August 30, 1813, over 500 Americans, most civilians, were killed by hostile Creek Indians in the Fort Mims Massacre in Alabama. The population of The United States was then under 8,000,000 making it a far more calamitous event than 9-11.

What were you doing on August 30?

Old 09-12-2010, 08:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,617,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
On August 30, 1813, over 500 Americans, most civilians, were killed by hostile Creek Indians in the Fort Mims Massacre in Alabama. The population of The United States was then under 8,000,000 making it a far more calamitous event than 9-11.

What were you doing on August 30?

Maybe the Creek Indians had a reason to be hostile.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:43 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,895,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Maybe the Creek Indians had a reason to be hostile.
Schwwoooo....right over your head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment