Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 10:57 AM
B4U B4U started this thread

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever been a participant?
Was it interesting, enjoyable? Did you ever see the results/verdicts in the cases you participated in?
How often were you a participant? Civil/Criminal cases?
What was the renumeration?

Has anyone participated online? Your thoughts?

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 11:30 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I did this for a short time (six months?) while in college. It was very interesting. Sometimes they shared the verdict, but more often it was more to see jurors reactions to various evidence and witnesses and there wasn't any "verdict" reached. I sat on civil and criminal cases, but mostly civil. I can't remember how it paid, it was 30 years ago, but I do remember it was decent cash for not really doing much work.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the feedback, annerk. I'm interested for sure, but.....
I've been led to a website to do it online, but they want my Driver's License # to register, I guess to check on any possible criminal record, which I don't have, but I'm reluctant to join. Is that a norm to ask/give that info? Or is giving that info like giving out S.S.# to any stranger asking? Also they say they pay via PayPal, I don't know how that works.
Any furthur info would be a help.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:36 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I did it before the Internet. That sounds sketchy to me, in my situation there was a reputable brick and mortar company that provided consulting services to law firms that I applied at and had an interview with. No background check that I can recall. And being paid via PayPal is a HUGE red flag.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:11 PM

Thanks again, annerk. I'll have to do some more checking, but my instincts said as much as you.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:16 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
Has anyone ever been a participant?
Was it interesting, enjoyable? Did you ever see the results/verdicts in the cases you participated in?
How often were you a participant? Civil/Criminal cases?
What was the renumeration?

Has anyone participated online? Your thoughts?

Thanks for any input.
I did this online twice.

It was interesting, but did not pay very well.

I think 10.00 or 15.00 per case.

Once I did those two, I was never called back again or they just did not have anything in my county.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:19 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I did it before the Internet. That sounds sketchy to me, in my situation there was a reputable brick and mortar company that provided consulting services to law firms that I applied at and had an interview with. No background check that I can recall. And being paid via PayPal is a HUGE red flag.

That is a pretty blanket statement.

Paying someone by paypal is not a huge red flag. In fact, many smaller companies offer only payment via paypal. I am thinking of the countless legitimate Mystery Shopping companies out there.

The consulting company that I did my two "trials" for paid via PayPal and it was all online.

I can understand why-- you have a far better chance of reaching MANY people, they can do it for the most part during their own time, and you don't have to pay as much nor pay for all of the overhead.

I don't remember if I gave my DL or not. I may have-- I honestly just don't remember. It was very legitimate. I was paid on time and without issue. The two cases I had were about personal injury cases.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:15 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
I was once a "shadow juror" although I am not sure it is the same thing. I was hired to sit in the courtroom during a high profile trial (breast implant victims vs Dow Chemical). The trial lasted more than three months and I was in court every day they were in session and it was my job to listen to testimony, observe both legal teams and get debriefed each night after court. Then just before the final summation I (along with the other "shadows") finally found out which side had hired me (palintiff's attorneys) and we met over a long weekend to help craft their closing arguments. I loved the whole experience even though it didn't pay all that well.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:32 PM

Thanks all of you for your input. I would like to find something "brick & mortor", but think I'll pass the online offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment