Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 01:17 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times

Advertisements

Some supervisors say critical things because they think it is part of their job to pick out areas you can improve in. The best way to get beyond it is to thank them profusely and then do great job so they can bask in the knowledge that somehow it was them who made you the best you can be. You'll become their favorite employee.

Sure, it's crap, but it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 04:03 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
I aim for win-win solutions. Where I work we don't have problems because everything is independent. But, I've heard that people who leave unhappily will voice their complaints on blogs. They can't fire an anonymous blogger who no longer works there now can they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
As I have moved up the corporate hirearcy in my career things get tougher and tougher. I remember when I was just out of college in my first job, things were kind of boring but easy at the same time. Basically my boss told me how to do the job a certain way and there was a right and wrong way to do the job. If I did it the right way and worked hard and put in my time I was rewarded.

As I moved up to ever more challenging positions there was no longer a right or wrong way to do the job. And what constitues success was unclear. I had to make a 100 judgement calls every day. That is when the critics started. I was told constantly:

I wouldn't do it that way if it were me.

I would use a different approach if I were you.

Your final product was not good enough.

Your approach lacks creativity.

You need to re think how you do that task.

(But when I challenged them for details none were forthcoming. How frustrating!)

So, how do you deal with workplace critics?

Old 09-24-2010, 04:07 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times
Quote:
As I have moved up the corporate hirearcy in my career things get tougher and tougher. I remember when I was just out of college in my first job, things were kind of boring but easy at the same time. Basically my boss told me how to do the job a certain way and there was a right and wrong way to do the job. If I did it the right way and worked hard and put in my time I was rewarded.

As I moved up to ever more challenging positions there was no longer a right or wrong way to do the job. And what constitues success was unclear. I had to make a 100 judgement calls every day. That is when the critics started. I was told constantly:

(But when I challenged them for details none were forthcoming. How frustrating!)

- It should depend on who is doing the critiquing. If it's your direct boss, then ask him/her to clarify guidelines, regarding acceptable work standards, communication styles/channels, etc.

- If it's a co-worker, then raise the matter with your boss, and ask your boss to mediate the situation. You could also raise the issue with your co-worker, and reach a win-win for him/her to be be critical.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:49 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Ah, the good ole days, when you were called Weekend Traveler......
* rep *

Old 09-25-2010, 01:09 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
lol ...... nothing like "humoring" the old cantankerous supervisor from hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Some supervisors say critical things because they think it is part of their job to pick out areas you can improve in. The best way to get beyond it is to thank them profusely and then do great job so they can bask in the knowledge that somehow it was them who made you the best you can be. You'll become their favorite employee.

Sure, it's crap, but it works.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:23 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Remember that you can tell a boss off. Once.

I look for undiagnosed borderline diabetes, low iron, or the use of crack. I'm not kidding.

It ASTOUNDS me the number of meritless workplace incidents that eventually uncover some sugar balance issue.
Jobsites? three out of five. As a Safety Officer I would usually be the one called to address some pee pee contest between trades. Other than culture differences and one/five having actual merit, that's my 25 years worth.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:00 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:

Grow a thicker skin (none of that is "abuse")

Be more proactive about seeking constructive criticism to ward off negative criticism

Take a good long look at your work and be realistic about how it measures up to expectations and think about what you could do differently/better the next time. You might also consider that your coworkers know something you don't know, and they are trying to drop hints about the way you are doing your job to help you save your own hide without coming right out and saying so.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:14 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Quote:

There's a difference between criticism and abuse and I don't actually think these comments count as the latter. If they were accompanied by bad language or personal attacks then sure, but this is more like a negative commentary on your work. Yes it's frustrating to hear this without a real evidence or context, but perhaps next time you get this you could say something like, "Look, I really need you to tell me what exactly the problem is and I need you to give me proper details so I can improve. Just saying it's not good enough without context isn't help me do a better job for you."

Does your employer have any kind of management training? If not, can you sign up for some (there are independent companies that do this) just to get a foundation? Do you have time to brainstorm any of these decisions before you have to make them? Can you ask your superiors if they have a preference how you do things, what is their preferred style?

Again, I realise you may not get anything useful but if this constant second-guessing is starting to eat at your self-confidence or affect your performance then figuring out a way to work together may be your only option.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:00 AM

23 posts, read 76,177 times
Do you have confidence in your abilities and/or quality of work? Have you truly made yourself irreplaceable? Consider what things would be like if you weren't there and how long it would take to find someone like you.

If you are confident that you possess these traits, then hit back a little bit. You can't just let people rail on you without any context and not show a little backbone. I'm not saying be a cry baby or go postal, but tactfully let then know that if they don't like what you're doing, good luck finding the person who will.

It's worked for me a few times. One time I did it to a regional manager, who I probably had no business doing it to. She was a classic bully. It knocked on her on her ass and she didn't have much of a response other than to apologize.

You might get fired, but damn, don't let them destroy your spirit. You might as well be dead after you've given that up.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:19 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,213 times
Quote:

I agree, lots of people who always seem to know better - and there is no defination of success, You can be critised from any angle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment