Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:05 PM

164 posts, read 440,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilady View Post
It sure is looking like this is a possibility.
My skills are up-to-date also, got my degree 2 years ago. I worked 2,3 jobs at once until 2008.
It is age, IMO. The TV, magazines, check them and you will see the folks in pictures rarely look over 35.
This is very scary to me, but we who have 17 years left to work have to pay for shelter somehow. So, we keep trying. Sometimes I feel the endless rejections of the job hunt causes worse depression than knowing there may never be a job. It just hurts to be disrespected and treated like one is worthless on a regular basis. blessings to everyone!
I feel the EXACT same way... but I'm only 26. Haven't been able to support myself in over 2 years now. It's bad for everyone.

Last edited by WildKarrde; 09-23-2010 at 08:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 08:36 PM

225 posts, read 1,114,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'll be 60 in 3 short weeks and lost my job/career of 7 years as a real estate title examiner on 5/31/2008.

I've applied to EVERYTHING within a commutable distance that I'm remotely qualified for. I have excellent, up to date computer skills (test at 98-100% on Microsoft products), type 55wpm, have legal and medical backgrounds. I took a phlebotomy course and got certified this April and still no job. In my decades of working I've never worked retail or fast food, I do apply to those jobs but don't get them because the job market is so bad where I'm located they are only hiring those with prior experience. So yes I'm very worried, I'm single and out of unemployment benefits, can't move because I can't sell my small home.

I'm more than willing to take an entry level position and be glad for the opportunity, I've even called HR asking why I didn't get an interview and when I do get interviews I call and ask is there something more I should be doing to get a job and only get told "well you were one of our top candidates".

I also volunteer at the Red Cross Donor Center to put something on my resume. I had hoped to get a phlebotomy job and go to school to get my MLT, but that hope is dashed as I can't seem to even get an entry level job with my phlebotomy certificate and certification.

I face age discrimination as many of the older workers do, I can't turn back the clock but I need to work! It's very very frightening.
My ex-wife was in the same boat as you two years ago when the real estate market started to tank. She came home one day and said "you'll never believe what happened....they came in and laid everyone off and shut down the whole operation" because the bank she worked for said the title business was not worthwhile. She was 57 at the time and had no clue what to do as she had done this 20 years. I knew nothing about the business but decided we would start our own title company and she could go out on her own. It was the best decision I ever made but was a lot of work initally getting set up with the necessary software and the expense of E&O insurance. We spent $10k on insurance and equipment/software and we were operating in the black within six months. She started out by herself and now has another full time abstractor, and full time file clerk for putting searches together. We sub contract settlements/title insurance and have a deal with one of our largest clients (atty) to use his conference room for settlements in return for a discount on his searches. We made $40k the first year, $160k the second and on track for $230-250k this year. It's a big step, but there is a LOT of money in the title business and even though real estate is not what it was, there are a ton of re-fi's, forclosures and short sales bringing in money now. Don't know how you feel about it, but something to consider. A lot of abstractors don't realize what their firms charge for searches and how much there is to be made selling title insurance. Fortunately she did billing and knew, so it was kind of a no brainer for us to do. No regrets and if we wouldn't kill each other working together all day and then living together at night, I would have quit my miserable job long ago to run our office.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:16 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Feeling disrespected or made to feel worthless is bad enough. But little can match sheer financial terror. Thoughts to all.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKarrde View Post
I feel the EXACT same way... but I'm only 26. Haven't been able to support myself in over 2 years now. It's bad for everyone.
That user name sounds familiar, you into small roadsters?

Old 09-24-2010, 06:53 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoatpa View Post
My ex-wife was in the same boat as you two years ago when the real estate market started to tank. She came home one day and said "you'll never believe what happened....they came in and laid everyone off and shut down the whole operation" because the bank she worked for said the title business was not worthwhile. She was 57 at the time and had no clue what to do as she had done this 20 years. I knew nothing about the business but decided we would start our own title company and she could go out on her own. It was the best decision I ever made but was a lot of work initally getting set up with the necessary software and the expense of E&O insurance. We spent $10k on insurance and equipment/software and we were operating in the black within six months. She started out by herself and now has another full time abstractor, and full time file clerk for putting searches together. We sub contract settlements/title insurance and have a deal with one of our largest clients (atty) to use his conference room for settlements in return for a discount on his searches. We made $40k the first year, $160k the second and on track for $230-250k this year. It's a big step, but there is a LOT of money in the title business and even though real estate is not what it was, there are a ton of re-fi's, forclosures and short sales bringing in money now. Don't know how you feel about it, but something to consider. A lot of abstractors don't realize what their firms charge for searches and how much there is to be made selling title insurance. Fortunately she did billing and knew, so it was kind of a no brainer for us to do. No regrets and if we wouldn't kill each other working together all day and then living together at night, I would have quit my miserable job long ago to run our office.
Good for you, but I certainly don't have the start up funds to do this, and it will depend on what state your in to become a title company. In GA by law the Lawyers must do the closing and only used title companies for title insurance.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:00 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'll be 60 in 3 short weeks and lost my job/career of 7 years as a real estate title examiner on 5/31/2008.

I've applied to EVERYTHING within a commutable distance that I'm remotely qualified for. I have excellent, up to date computer skills (test at 98-100% on Microsoft products), type 55wpm, have legal and medical backgrounds. I took a phlebotomy course and got certified this April and still no job. In my decades of working I've never worked retail or fast food, I do apply to those jobs but don't get them because the job market is so bad where I'm located they are only hiring those with prior experience. So yes I'm very worried, I'm single and out of unemployment benefits, can't move because I can't sell my small home.

I'm more than willing to take an entry level position and be glad for the opportunity, I've even called HR asking why I didn't get an interview and when I do get interviews I call and ask is there something more I should be doing to get a job and only get told "well you were one of our top candidates".

I also volunteer at the Red Cross Donor Center to put something on my resume. I had hoped to get a phlebotomy job and go to school to get my MLT, but that hope is dashed as I can't seem to even get an entry level job with my phlebotomy certificate and certification.

I face age discrimination as many of the older workers do, I can't turn back the clock but I need to work! It's very very frightening.
With your excellent skills why don't you make up a business card and put yourself out there for on-site support or freelance general admin. I bet there's a lot of businesses and individuals that would pay you for contract work. You could probably charge $40/hr, or at least 30. These days anyone who can do their own work are in the best position. Even if people do land a job, it is usually not secure anymore. You sound like you have a lot to offer, see if you can be a one-person operation. YOu get to work from home and set your own hours. You just need an accountant who can help you to set up your tax reporting stuff.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:18 AM

405 posts, read 1,279,446 times
I am surprised as to how many people are ignorant to the fact
that this entire meltdown was engineered and orchestrated by
some highly intelligent groups.
This is no conspiracy theory -- it's a fact.
Do some research into the Bilderberg Group and the Tri-Latteral Commision.
Check out Alex Jones and Gerald Celiste.
Highy credible people who can show evidence to this fiasco.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:19 AM

164 posts, read 440,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
That user name sounds familiar, you into small roadsters?
Yep. I recognize your user name too.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:35 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKarrde View Post
Yep. I recognize your user name too.
Guess great minds think alike

Old 09-24-2010, 03:18 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
With your excellent skills why don't you make up a business card and put yourself out there for on-site support or freelance general admin. I bet there's a lot of businesses and individuals that would pay you for contract work. You could probably charge $40/hr, or at least 30. These days anyone who can do their own work are in the best position. Even if people do land a job, it is usually not secure anymore. You sound like you have a lot to offer, see if you can be a one-person operation. YOu get to work from home and set your own hours. You just need an accountant who can help you to set up your tax reporting stuff.
LOL, I live in a very rural part of NE GA that has been hit hard economically, freelance general admin or "on-site support" jobs are non-existant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment