Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 10:59 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,989,829 times

Advertisements

Please read this!

Sally Kohn: Affirmative Action Helps White Women More Than Others | TIME.com

"While people of color, individually and as groups, have been helped by affirmative action in the subsequent years, data and studies suggest women — white women in particular — have benefited disproportionately. According to one study, in 1995, 6 million women, the majority of whom were white, had jobs they wouldn’t have otherwise held but for affirmative action."

Read more: Sally Kohn: Affirmative Action Helps White Women More Than Others | TIME.com Sally Kohn: Affirmative Action Helps White Women More Than Others | TIME.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 10:11 PM

88 posts, read 168,234 times
^^ What world do you people live in? Talk about white privileged!

Im a college educated black man that cant even get the crappy jobs- like working in a bookstore,retail. I have friends with engineering, masters, PHD biology who are also struggling getting a job because we dont have any "connections" (ie White friends) You mean I can get a managerial job just by being black. These are only myths silly white people believe. The unemployment rate for blacks out here is like 30% easy. Many cities have close to 50% unemployment.

Please! Please! Tell us uneducated, unqualified blacks where we can get this sweetheart jobs just by being black.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:21 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long beach finest View Post
^^ What world do you people live in? Talk about white privileged!

Im a college educated black man that cant even get the crappy jobs- like working in a bookstore,retail. I have friends with engineering, masters, PHD biology who are also struggling getting a job because we dont have any "connections" (ie White friends) You mean I can get a managerial job just by being black. These are only myths silly white people believe. The unemployment rate for blacks out here is like 30% easy. Many cities have close to 50% unemployment.

Please! Please! Tell us uneducated, unqualified blacks where we can get this sweetheart jobs just by being black.
I know plenty of white, educated, males and females that cannot get a job, a couple of these have ivy league grad degrees and has been since June trying to get any work, or something past a stocker at Safeway or something. Heck, my wife, who is white, is a college grad and jumped through hoops and took months to even get a crap part-time retail position before she managed to finally get an admin assist position, and this was in the DC area where supposely the job market was hot.

I assure you the unemployment rate for educated blacks is no where near 30%.

An education cannot make up for a poor resume, cover letter, and interview skills.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:04 AM

3,486 posts, read 6,506,894 times
Calilady,

I note that you're in the Inland Empire. I'm in eastern Ventura County. The whole EEO/Affirmative Action thing is very complex, particularly in California. Therefore what follows is a significant oversimplification, but hopefully something that may help.

First, Affirmative Action is entirely different from Equal Employment Opportunity, and most folks don't know that. If the company in question really does have "Affirmative Action numbers," the numbers came from some sort of court finding or verdict. The court determined that company's actual hiring practices had what is called a "disparate impact" on members of one or more protected classes. In other words people were discriminated against simply because of their membership in that protected class. And by the way, it essentially doesn't matter whether the discrimination was intentional or accidental.

The "numbers" are part of the plan to correct the problem. The court will be monitoring their progress, and will hold the company accountable for meeting those numbers or proving a compelling reason why they could not be met. And yes, in actual Affirmative Action situations the company sometimes must hire one person over another, equally-qualified, person simply because of race, ethnicity, gender, etc.

By the way, part of what the attorney told you was correct. The company's specific Affirmative Action numbers, if any, are not matters of public record - they are not "find-out-able". Of course, as others have previously pointed out, the company representative could just have been shining you on...

Best wishes,

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 12-03-2013 at 09:26 AM..

Old 12-03-2013, 05:59 PM

989 posts, read 1,876,305 times
Why do we even still have reverse discrimination oops I mean affirmative action?

Old 12-03-2013, 06:23 PM

3,486 posts, read 6,506,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
Why do we even still have reverse discrimination oops I mean affirmative action?
Simply, we still have "reverse discrimination-oops Affirmative Action" because "forward - aka ACTUAL - discrimination" still exists. Like I said before, it doesn't matter whether the discrimination is intentional or accidental - the fact/presence is more than enough under our legal system.

Hey, I don't create these laws, I just explain them.

American laws, and American courts, rule on the IMPACT of individual, group or organizational behavior; not on their INTENT. In other words, the "Didn't-Mean-To" defense, as powerful as it may be on the playground, simply doesn't work in the courtroom.

But hey, don't take MY word for it. Ask any attorney.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:55 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I know plenty of white, educated, males and females that cannot get a job, a couple of these have ivy league grad degrees and has been since June trying to get any work, or something past a stocker at Safeway or something. Heck, my wife, who is white, is a college grad and jumped through hoops and took months to even get a crap part-time retail position before she managed to finally get an admin assist position, and this was in the DC area where supposely the job market was hot.

I assure you the unemployment rate for educated blacks is no where near 30%.

An education cannot make up for a poor resume, cover letter, and interview skills.
An how, pray tell, do you know that the unemployment rate for blacks is no where near 30%. Sources please?

And what to make of that giant non-relational leaping assumption that the educated black people are not getting jobs because - let me get this straight...they all have poor resume writing and interviewing skills. Link to those stats please.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:09 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
An how, pray tell, do you know that the unemployment rate for blacks is no where near 30%. Sources please?

And what to make of that giant non-relational leaping assumption that the educated black people are not getting jobs because - let me get this straight...they all have poor resume writing and interviewing skills. Link to those stats please.
Sorry, but the poster that asserted the original claim is to provide the sources.

However, on the link below, scroll down to figure "F". and you will see the unemployment rate (ages 21-24) for college educated blacks is no where near 30%.

The Class of 2013: Young graduates still face dim job prospects | Economic Policy Institute

Is was just the first item on Google.

Since the poster I responded to did not cite any sources for the 30% claim, I wonder why you also did not ask that poster for the source of their claim.

Also, please link a source that states that anything other than poor interview skills and resume writing are not the reasons. I made that claim due to the poster I responded to not citing their claim of discrimination. Since that poster did not cite any sources for that claim, I have to deem it untrue, thus assert that if a person has an issue getting a job, it is because of poor interviewing skills and a poor resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment